Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 24,460, Level: 47
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    chrishull14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cyclone City
    Posts
    1,007
    Points
    24,460
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    NFL Hall of Fame 2012

    The NFL has put a cap on the number of players that can go into the Hall in a single year. Only five people will be inducted each year. So far the guys retiring this year includes:

    Brett Favre
    Michael Strahan
    Junior Seau
    Warren Sapp
    Jonathon Ogden
    Larry Allen

    So who gets left out of an amazing class in 2012?



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 340,940, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    32,098
    Points
    340,940
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 342
    Given: 243

    Re: NFL Hall of Fame 2012

    Ogden or Allen, most likely.



  3. #3
    Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    jbing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    513
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: NFL Hall of Fame 2012

    That is going to be an amazing hall class. I think Allen gets left off.


    I believed in Gene Chizik and all I got was this lousy limited-edition commemorative coin.

  4. #4
    Rookie
    Points: 6,911, Level: 24
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Tweedt4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    476
    Points
    6,911
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: NFL Hall of Fame 2012

    I would say Ogden gets left out. But Allen is a very good possibility to.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 17,343, Level: 40
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 707
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    candg4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nevada, IA
    Posts
    1,057
    Points
    17,343
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 69

    Re: NFL Hall of Fame 2012

    Ogden and Allen have been pretty consistent throughout their careers, while Sapp has seemed to taper off the last few years. Sapp was a press favorite, so that might give him a slight advantage over the others.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 136,389, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,337
    Points
    136,389
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: NFL Hall of Fame 2012

    probably Favre



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 340,940, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    32,098
    Points
    340,940
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 342
    Given: 243

    Re: NFL Hall of Fame 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by candg4ever View Post
    Ogden and Allen have been pretty consistent throughout their careers, while Sapp has seemed to taper off the last few years. Sapp was a press favorite, so that might give him a slight advantage over the others.
    All of this is true. If I had to pick the 3rd from the bottom, it would be Sapp. But as you noted, the media loved him - so he'll get in right away.

    Still more irony with Favre and Strahan - most likely going in the HOF in the same year.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 49,858, Level: 69
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,292
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    SuperCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Smallville/Metropolis
    Posts
    3,883
    Points
    49,858
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: NFL Hall of Fame 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    All of this is true. If I had to pick the 3rd from the bottom, it would be Sapp. But as you noted, the media loved him - so he'll get in right away.

    Still more irony with Favre and Strahan - most likely going in the HOF in the same year.

    Maybe Favre will fall down in front of Strahan and give him another sack.



    What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 16,358, Level: 38
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    isuarch80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,312
    Points
    16,358
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: NFL Hall of Fame 2012

    I actually think Seau could miss out on the first ballot. Ogden is the benchmark for left tackles in football. Everyone looks for the next Ogden.
    Allen won a ring and Allen was a member of the Dallas Cowboys' Super Bowl champion team in 1995, has been named All-Pro eight times and has represented the NFC in the Pro Bowl in eleven of his twelve seasons to date; at one point playing seven consecutive Pro Bowls before an ankle injury in 2002. He is one of only three players in NFL history to have played three different Offensive Line positions in the Pro Bowl, playing Right Guard, Left Guard and Left Tackle.
    Sapp also was what set the benchmark for DT in today's NFL. He still played at a high level in Oakland, just no one saw it (Oakland wasn't truly highlighted much), and is one of premier pass rushing/run stoppind DTs to ever play the game. His 96.5 career sacks are the second-highest career total sacks for a defensive tackle, behind John Randle, and the 28th highest overall for a defensive lineman. That's just ridiculous for an interior guy.

    So I'll go with Seau being left out on the first ballot... he still hasn't won a ring, which is weird to think about, but 2 SB losses. Yes he is a remarkable LB over his career. On a side note - has he even officially retired? He may not even be on this ballot?


    Vitte, Dulcedo, Sipes

  10. #10
    Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Points: 277,112, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    rworkman83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Boone & Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    18,316
    Points
    277,112
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 116

    Re: NFL Hall of Fame 2012

    Isn't it the class of 2013?


    42-54 Record in CF Mafia. The most games played and wins by any player in Cyclone Fanatic History. Yes, I'm a nerd.

  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 16,358, Level: 38
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    isuarch80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,312
    Points
    16,358
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: NFL Hall of Fame 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by rworkman83 View Post
    Isn't it the class of 2013?
    Yes, I do believe you're right... they'd announce it during the playoffs/Super Bowl week of the 2012 Season.


    Vitte, Dulcedo, Sipes

  12. #12
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Cy Heavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    1,127
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: NFL Hall of Fame 2012

    I have to believe Ced Benson will make a strong run to be in this class



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 39,570, Level: 61
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 780
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cloneu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    4,216
    Points
    39,570
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 26

    Re: NFL Hall of Fame 2012

    I would leave Sapp off of the list. If I had to put them in order I would go.
    1. Ogden
    2. Favre
    3. Strahan
    4. Seau
    5. Allen
    6. Sapp
    I could easily change 2/3 and maybe 4/5.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 340,940, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    32,098
    Points
    340,940
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 342
    Given: 243

    Re: NFL Hall of Fame 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by isuarch80 View Post
    I actually think Seau could miss out on the first ballot. Ogden is the benchmark for left tackles in football. Everyone looks for the next Ogden.
    Allen won a ring and Allen was a member of the Dallas Cowboys' Super Bowl champion team in 1995, has been named All-Pro eight times and has represented the NFC in the Pro Bowl in eleven of his twelve seasons to date; at one point playing seven consecutive Pro Bowls before an ankle injury in 2002. He is one of only three players in NFL history to have played three different Offensive Line positions in the Pro Bowl, playing Right Guard, Left Guard and Left Tackle.
    Sapp also was what set the benchmark for DT in today's NFL. He still played at a high level in Oakland, just no one saw it (Oakland wasn't truly highlighted much), and is one of premier pass rushing/run stoppind DTs to ever play the game. His 96.5 career sacks are the second-highest career total sacks for a defensive tackle, behind John Randle, and the 28th highest overall for a defensive lineman. That's just ridiculous for an interior guy.

    So I'll go with Seau being left out on the first ballot... he still hasn't won a ring, which is weird to think about, but 2 SB losses. Yes he is a remarkable LB over his career. On a side note - has he even officially retired? He may not even be on this ballot?
    You make a very good case here. Lots of those will be made on all sides during that vote in 5 years.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 340,940, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    32,098
    Points
    340,940
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 342
    Given: 243

    Re: NFL Hall of Fame 2012

    Pretty good article regarding this...

    Scout.com: In a bad position?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 11:00 AM