77 38.31%
  • 25+%

2 1.00%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 718
    Given: 2,842

How much do you tip?

Just because I'm curious... If you go out to dinner, how much do you tip? I'll try and add a poll.

I waitressed for a bit in college, so I know how crappy the job is. Hence, I generally use 20% as my base, but have at least a $2 minimum. If I go to Hickory Park and my meal was $5, I'm still going to leave at least $2 for the time involved.

M 7/09

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 830
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

Re: How much do you tip?

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Just because I'm curious... If you go out to dinner, how much do you tip? I'll try and add a poll.

I waitressed for a bit in college, so I know how crappy the job is. Hence, I generally use 20% as my base, but have at least a $2 minimum. If I go to Hickory Park and my meal was $5, I'm still going to leave at least $2 for the time involved.

I am the same way. I consider myself a generous tipper. I waited tables for MANY years,(including Hickory Park) and know how crappy people can be. I generally start with 20% and go from there, but I still refuse to give a good tip just because. If you don't check on me, refill my drinks, etc., you can expect a not so gererous tip coming your way.

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 648
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 18

I figure about the same. 20% is a baseline, and the server has it. Now, they can lose some of it, or gain some more. I rarely tip less than 20%, though.

I worked service jobs for a long time, so I too know what a pain it is. People forget how hard those people work. But, on the flip side, I also can tell when they are messing around, and that's when they lose the 20%.

Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

That would depend on the quality of service. Usually the quality of service we receive warrents about a $1.50 tip on a $20 meal, but we've left everything from a penny to $5 to a 'tip' that the lady needs to stop ignoring her customers. If we actually get good service, we will leave a decent tip, but that's few and far between.

Throwing seven different kinds of smoke!

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post

Same kind of deal here, fiancee was (is) a waitress, so she harped on me to always do 20%. It's just habit now, unless the service was really crappy, like the time at an Olive Garden where our food was given away to another table and nobody had the intestinal fortitude to admit the screw-up to us. I left around 5% (everyone else just stiffed them) and a nice long "tip" in pen on the bill.

Legend
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 461
    Given: 303

Service dictates my tip. I typically leave 15 percent unless the waiter/waitress is outstanding or friendly. I do take into account the business of the restaraunt. I am understanding. However if its busy and I see them jacking around somewhere they lose tip.

Last edited by bos; 06-09-2008 at 01:06 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,156
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 12

There are multiple variables involved.
    1) Speed
    2) Quality of food
    3) Kindness
    4) Dude or girl
    4b) If a girl, how attractive. This attribute can cancel out the first 3 factors.

Walk On Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I would say usually at least 20%, unless the service was just terrible. On the rare occasion that the kids are along and being the normal messy boys that they are...then I definitely tip more.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    Same kind of deal here, fiancee was (is) a waitress, so she harped on me to always do 20%. It's just habit now, unless the service was really crappy, like the time at an Olive Garden where our food was given away to another table and nobody had the intestinal fortitude to admit the screw-up to us. I left around 5% (everyone else just stiffed them) and a nice long "tip" in pen on the bill.
    It seems like most of us are kind of in the same boat. I have to have some pretty horrid service to go below 15% or 10%, but it happens. I think realizing how hard it is to stay cheery when people are busting your butt all day helps a ton in appreciating the work servers do.

M 7/09

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,838
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 43

I usually use 15% as my benchmark. That is for average, ok service allowing for a minor goof here and there as I know we all have bad days. From there it either goes up based on how good service was. I usually tip 20% most nights as long as I didn't sit with empty drinks, empty plates and didn't have to wait very long for the bill. It also goes down from 15% too, based on how badly things went. I never don't tip, but, I have been questioning that mentality lately. When you never got me the other beer I asked for, forgot to bring the appetizer until we'd already started eating our meal and still charged me for it and then, never came back to clear plates and see if I wanted the bill. (Yes, that happened recently) Sometimes it's so bad, people just don't deserve a tip.

It's actually pretty easy to get 20% from me. Just act like you care.

Pro Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

My wife says I over tip when I start at 20%, she usually does 10 - 15%. It depends on the service. I think the 20% is yours to lose but it would take some very good service to go over.

"Profanity is the Crutch of Inarticulate Mother ****ers"
    The Wall in the Bathroom at People's

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mrsbrianhos View Post
    I would say usually at least 20%, unless the service was just terrible. On the rare occasion that the kids are along and being the normal messy boys that they are...then I definitely tip more.
    I don't have kids, but will definitely tip more than my standard 20% if the server was fantastic.

M 7/09

Pro Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    I usually use 15% as my benchmark. That is for average, ok service allowing for a minor goof here and there as I know we all have bad days. From there it either goes up based on how good service was. I usually tip 20% most nights as long as I didn't sit with empty drinks, empty plates and didn't have to wait very long for the bill. It also goes down from 15% too, based on how badly things went. I never don't tip, but, I have been questioning that mentality lately. When you never got me the other beer I asked for, forgot to bring the appetizer until we'd already started eating our meal and still charged me for it and then, never came back to clear plates and see if I wanted the bill. (Yes, that happened recently) Sometimes it's so bad, people just don't deserve a tip.

It's actually pretty easy to get 20% from me. Just act like you care.
    We've actually left a penny for a tip before, just so the lady didn't think we forgot to leave one. We wanted to make sure she know how we really felt of her service. Besides being ignored, the food not being done, and receiving service from 5 waitors other than our own, we also received a refill of pop that was not completely full and had lipstick on the rim.

Throwing seven different kinds of smoke!

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 648
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 18

You know what really gets to a server? The personal response. If they did well, tell them. It really helps them.

On the other hand, if they are really bad, tell them too. But make sure you tell their boss, too. And make sure they know you told them.

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 515

I hate to admit this, but until I dated my spouse I was aweful at tipping. Part of this was because I was in highschool and honestly didn't think about it.

Now, though I am better at tipping at least 10% usually more for good service.