Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airline Delays

Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 100

Airline Delays

Does anyone know how delays for airlines work? I'm currently stuck at the Detroit Airport waiting for a plane to come in. We've switched gates twice, and had a total of 6 delays in the time we were suppose to leave. Apparently there is a mechanical error on the original plane.

Can we get some money refunded or a voucher for that?

I've been up since 3 a.m. trying to get home, but now I'm stuck here. I finally bought the bullet and paid $8 for 24 hours of internet, which is another crock and a half.

42-54 Record in CF Mafia. The most games played and wins by any player in Cyclone Fanatic History. Yes, I'm a nerd.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Airline Delays

Nothing you can do except wait if they do cancel b/c of mechanical issues you'll get maybe 250. That's what happens when airlines reduce flights and charge you for your laugage...I feel your pain, I always take some DVDs with me now.

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

If it's just a delay there isn't much you can do, although that could change if it's cancelled for mechanical reasons. You could try talking to the airline's customer service, although airlines have about the most tight-fisted and least helpful customer service departments of any business.

Once I was on a flight that was cancelled after midnight, stranding everyone at the airport until the next flight around 6am. A customer service rep stayed at the ticket counter for a couple hours talking to probably 100 increasingly angrier passengers on my flight. I don't think any of them got anything more than a ticket on that 6am flight, and maybe a couple pillows.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I hope you tried finding free wifi access before you paid. Sometimes I've gotten lucky when sitting near the NWA Worldclub area or similar and was able to access their free unencrypted wifi. I assume they didn't encrypt it because the signal didn't reach very far from the doors (it was weak) so they didn't think people would be able to access it if not in the Worldclub room.

Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleClone View Post
    I hope you tried finding free wifi access before you paid. Sometimes I've gotten lucky when sitting near the NWA Worldclub area or similar and was able to access their free unencrypted wifi. I assume they didn't encrypt it because the signal didn't reach very far from the doors (it was weak) so they didn't think people would be able to access it if not in the Worldclub room.
    I tried all the connections and none of them worked. I was so bored.

And who would have guessed...I'm still sitting here....been through four more time changes since I posted the original message.

42-54 Record in CF Mafia. The most games played and wins by any player in Cyclone Fanatic History. Yes, I'm a nerd.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Flying back from Boston once, had a layover in O'Hare. It was supposed to be a 2 hour layover. The plane we were taking from O'Hare to Des Moines hadn't yet left Minneapolis because of weather in MPLS. We changed gates 8 times, flight times 13 times, and I spent 15 hours in O'Hare.

Hope your flight turns out better!

PS--I've also been forced to spend the night in the Detroit airport, bad memories of that place.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by rworkman83 View Post
    I tried all the connections and none of them worked. I was so bored.

And who would have guessed...I'm still sitting here....been through four more time changes since I posted the original message.
    In that case, sounds like you made the right decision to pay for the 24 hour access. At least you have CF to keep you company while you wait!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,762
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 3

One way to deal with it is accumulte enough miles to hit a high enough status say platimum, 1K, etc.

Then you can bump some poor sap off a different flight and get out of dodge. You feel kind of bad the first few times, but it beats missing things at home...

just kidding, kind of.

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Here's what I do know... if it's weather related, they have no obligation to anything. That's as simple as I can make it. YOu can talk to them about switching you over to another route possibly making a connection that might get you where you're going, but otherwise, no compensation of any kind.
    However, if it's mechanical, it is their fault. They have control over it and should do something for you; if you're going to be overnight, they will (should) put you up in the airport hotel and get you out on the next morning's flight. If it's during the day, try getting some money vouchers for the food court or something.
    Now, last but not least... YOU HAVE TO WRITE A LETTER TO CUSTOMER SERVICE. I've been given miles, dollar credits towards future tickets, etc, etc. If you take the time to write to them about how their errors inconvenienced you and made your experience terrible, they will immediately get back to you to ammend things.
    PS. I'm a business traveler (status on several airlines) and my dad is a pilot for a major airline, so there's my background on it.

Best of luck today though... airports are never fun. Depending on your wait as well, if you're flying an airline with a "club" (admirals, united or whatever), they gate agent might give you a one day pass to go sit in big comfortable chairs which is worth it.

Vitte, Dulcedo, Sipes

All-Star
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 30

hopefully i have a lil better luck than you do today .... i leave around 5 (pacific time) from LAX then make a pit stop in phenoix and then head to omaha and get in around 1130 tonight .... then i got a 2 hr drive home .... should be fun .... but best of luck to you and getting home today sometime ....

Winners' Never Quit and Quitters' Never Win

All-Star
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by isuarch80 View Post
    Here's what I do know... if it's weather related, they have no obligation to anything. That's as simple as I can make it. YOu can talk to them about switching you over to another route possibly making a connection that might get you where you're going, but otherwise, no compensation of any kind.
    However, if it's mechanical, it is their fault. They have control over it and should do something for you; if you're going to be overnight, they will (should) put you up in the airport hotel and get you out on the next morning's flight. If it's during the day, try getting some money vouchers for the food court or something.
    Now, last but not least... YOU HAVE TO WRITE A LETTER TO CUSTOMER SERVICE. I've been given miles, dollar credits towards future tickets, etc, etc. If you take the time to write to them about how their errors inconvenienced you and made your experience terrible, they will immediately get back to you to ammend things.
    PS. I'm a business traveler (status on several airlines) and my dad is a pilot for a major airline, so there's my background on it.

Best of luck today though... airports are never fun. Depending on your wait as well, if you're flying an airline with a "club" (admirals, united or whatever), they gate agent might give you a one day pass to go sit in big comfortable chairs which is worth it.

Dead on. Send an email to their customer service and they will give you some additional miles. NWA is a little bit looser with the miles than American. Just tell them you missed a business meeting or child's event due to the delays. You understand things happen and it would not have been a big deal, but for ......... (your excuse).

Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the advice.

I finally landed in Cedar Rapids at 3:30 this afternoon. I had already planned on writting a letter to them, as this was my first time on NWA and more than likely my last. I had issues with them in CR when I left and then this today.

Starter Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I wouldn't mess with NWA. These guys look kinda tough

Attempting to debate with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead. - Thomas Paine

Starter
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 501
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

A line from Steven Wright's new album:

"I have a friend who is a pilot. I was going to take a ride with him in his car. We got in the car and for no apparent reason we sat there for 45 minutes before he backed out of the driveway."

TRUE & VALIANT

Addict
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,113
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by cyeah View Post
    One way to deal with it is accumulte enough miles to hit a high enough status say platimum, 1K, etc.

Then you can bump some poor sap off a different flight and get out of dodge. You feel kind of bad the first few times, but it beats missing things at home...

just kidding, kind of.
    You have to fly a LOT to get those statuses, though. Most mileage programs reset every year, so you have to keep earning status year after year. Even that being said, it's quite unlikely they'll bump someone off a flight for you, regardless of your status.

People that travel a lot understand the system and how it works. If I was in your shoes, I'd inquire about trying to hit another hub (MEM, or more likely MSP) that might have a flight to get you home sooner. If you dont' have status (elite) you might have to pay extra to fly standby on different flights, but sometimes it's worth it.

The problem that you've got at the moment, is that there isn't a lot of extra capacity running around, which means a cancellation or delay can really screw your travel day up.

NWA is the only airline I can fly if I can help it. I've flown extensively on most of the domestic carriers, and in my experience, NWA the best, and it's not even close. I generally prefer to fly to MSP for connections instead of DTW or MEM because I prefer Mesaba to Pinnacle, and because DTW is generally more affected by stuff messed up in Chicago than MSP is.

My airline rankings from best to worst:
    Midwest Express
    NWA (Mesaba then Pinnacle)
    Continental
    United
    Delta
    US Air
    American
    Low Cost Carriers (pretty much all the same)

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com