Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 239

Des Moines Police Open Shelter, Issue Warning. Forecast: Floods To Top Spillway

Des Moines Police Open Shelter, Issue Warning - Des Moines News Story - KCCI Des Moines

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Des Moines Police have opened a temporary flood shelter at Four Mile Creek Community Center at East 38th and Easton.The Metro Star Unit and equipment, including boats to assist resident in flooded areas, are available at that location. People are also welcome to take shelter at the center.In the meantime, police warn motorists to avoid standing water and flooded low-lying areas."The possibilities of being stranded or even drowning are great," Sgt. Vince Valdez said. "Stranded vehicles also hamper the ability of public safety vehicles and personnel to operate effectively."

Saylorville Forecast: Floods To Top Emergency Spillway - Des Moines News Story - KCCI Des Moines

DES MOINES, Iowa -- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers predicts that Saylorville Lake will top the emergency spillway for the first time since the floods of 1993 and that the lake level will approach that record high on the lake.
    The latest forecast issued Sunday morning predicts the lake will top the emergency spillway on Tuesday morning. The lake currently is at 878 feet above sea level. The emergency spillway will be topped when the lake reaches 880 feet above sea level. The Corps of Engineers website predicts the lake will reach 890 feet later on Tuesday, which would come close to the record crest of 893 feet during the floods of '93.

The spillway, which sets west of the dam, is designed to relieve pressure on the lake when it reaches a certain height. The spillway was first topped in 1984, when water flowed over the spillway for 16 days. It created a gigantic gorge which unveiled many geological treasures. The water which flows over the spillway and down the gorge rejoins the Des Moines River south of the dam, and can create flooding problems downstream in Des Moines.

You can track the Saylorville Lake forecast here. Click the "Record High Stage" and "Spillway Crest" buttons and then hit "View Graph" to compare the forecast.

Click here to read background information on Saylorville Dam and past floods that topped the emergency spillway.
    Central Iowans awoke to more heavy thunderstorms Sunday morning. A slow moving front stretched from southwest to northeast Iowa. Heavy thunderstorms marched slowly along the front, repeatedly drenching the same already-soaked land.

Already in the midst of a flooding situation, Iowa did not need the heavy rainfalls that fell overnight Saturday night into Sunday morning. Lehigh, which is right in the Des Moines River basin that flows into Saylorville Lake, received 6.3 inches of rain. Dayton and Iowa Falls received 5 inches.

Des Moines itself also received heavy rain Sunday morning. KCCI's SchoolNet weather station at the Des Moines Christian School reported 2.03 inches of rain since midnight. KCCI's SchoolNet station downtown received just shy of 2 inches. Winterset had received three inches since midnight.

Many Central Iowans who had just finished cleaning up water-logged basements awoke to more water problems on Sunday.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Des Moines Police Open Shelter, Issue Warning. Forecast: Floods To Top Spillway

I'm getting an arc together. Anyone know where I can get two wombats?

I believed in Gene Chizik and all I got was this lousy limited-edition commemorative coin.

Rookie
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 4

Re: Des Moines Police Open Shelter, Issue Warning. Forecast: Floods To Top Spillway

Buy bottled water..LOTS of bottled water!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,219
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 116

I used to live in Mason City and the wife is talking to family up there. Right now they are having the worst flooding there since 1963. Over 8" of rain there last night and north. Some levy broke and it is a mess up there right now.

We got over 2.5" of rain since last night but my basement is dry at least....Thank God.

Legend
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Hmmm maybe I ditched Iowa at juuuuuuuuuuust the right time...

Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 39

ahh I live in ankeny, I will just drive to ames if we lose water :)

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775