Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4

Quote in Omaha paper from Cotton

"It really doesn't matter what happens, whether we're here or not next year," Cotton said

Thats shows coach's brain power

EDIT: See the rest of the thread, as this quote was taken out of context by the original poster.

Last edited by ISUFan22; 11-06-2006 at 11:48 AM.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Quote in Omaha paper from Cotton

Geez, maybe he needs to coach High School ball and start over.... Iowa State's offense has just been horrible....He will not be there next year...HITMAN

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for confirming your intelligence, Barney.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 529
    Given: 125

http://media.www.iowastatedaily.com/...epublisher.com

"I can look myself in the mirror every day and know that I came to work and gave everything I could have," Cotton said. "I don't profess to be the smartest coach and I don't profess to be the most creative coach, but I'm going to work hard and do the best I can to put my players in the best position I can put them in."

No crap? He really had me fooled

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 684
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 112

Quote Originally Posted by GM4ISU View Post
    "It really doesn't matter what happens, whether we're here or not next year," Cotton said

IMO this just shows that if you lose enough games that even the coaches cant keep their spirits and energy level high.

When HIGH expectations collide with three wins that is a prescription for disaster. I just have a hard time believing how far recruiting has dropped off!

A quote from an old coach who told me that "You can't play what you can"t recruit.

I will be in JTS for the Mizzou game! I hope that the fans show up and cheer like hell!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 257

I predict Barney will become head coach at Wayne State. Plays good in Mesquokie.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 74

If he actually said that they why wait until the end of the season to fire him???

He couldn't take our most high powered offense in history and score more than 15 points per game.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Holy crap! I am not doubting you at all - but for my sanity - does anyone have a link to the article where this quote was made?

I just can't believe a coach would say that. If in fact he did, well - to me that's a coach that already knows he's been fired.

Rookie
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 492
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 2

Not sticking up for Cotton (I think he should be fired) but the start of this thread took the quote WAY out of context. The quote was about how it doesn't matter to the kids if they (coaches) are there and that they need to coach for the kids the next two weeks. Here is the full quote:

"It really doesn't matter what happens, whether we're here or not next year," Cotton said. "These last two weeks are about the kids. That's his standpoint, that's my standpoint."
    http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2275081

C'mon people there is enough ammo to make your point about coaches being fired. No need to make up things.

Last edited by cydsho; 11-06-2006 at 10:35 AM.

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I really think the season has just taken a tole on Barney. You can tell he just doesn't have any energy left. He also has had health problems. I just love how everyone thinks this offense was going to be just so high powered, because of what they did last year. If you look at the numbers they really were not good last year. The defense put them in great postion a lot of the time with turnovers, and that lead to short scoring drives.

I don't see the reason to kick a coach while he is down, considering all the work he has put into helping us be the best we can be. I agree Barney must go, but to trash him like all of you are doing just shows the type of person you are. I am sure you guys could just step in and make our high powered offense score lots and lots of points.

All coaches deserve our respect for all the time they put in to the program, unless they shame the University. Barney has not done any of that, so he deserves better than what he is getting. The same goes for Mac!

I don't disagree that they need to go, but how about showing a little class for what all our coaches have done for our university.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by cydsho View Post
    "It really doesn't matter what happens, whether we're here or not next year," Cotton said. "These last two weeks are about the kids. That's his standpoint, that's my standpoint."
    This actually reflects positively on Barney. This thread is awful.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 204
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 24

Cystate22 - great post. I agree 100%. These coaches deserve our respect. I may not want them back next year either but we need to be civilized in how we treat them.

We are ISU fans, we are better, smarter and more civilized than your average bonehead college fans....at least I hope we are.

Rookie
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by benjay View Post
    This actually reflects positively on Barney. This thread is awful.

Addict
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,510
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

Quote Originally Posted by Cystate22 View Post
    I really think the season has just taken a tole on Barney. You can tell he just doesn't have any energy left. He also has had health problems. I just love how everyone thinks this offense was going to be just so high powered, because of what they did last year. If you look at the numbers they really were not good last year. The defense put them in great postion a lot of the time with turnovers, and that lead to short scoring drives.

I don't see the reason to kick a coach while he is down, considering all the work he has put into helping us be the best we can be. I agree Barney must go, but to trash him like all of you are doing just shows the type of person you are. I am sure you guys could just step in and make our high powered offense score lots and lots of points.

All coaches deserve our respect for all the time they put in to the program, unless they shame the University. Barney has not done any of that, so he deserves better than what he is getting. The same goes for Mac!

I don't disagree that they need to go, but how about showing a little class for what all our coaches have done for our university.
    I disagree. I have a job that pays a small percentage of what these guys make. The only time in my job that "I deserve respect" is when I'm successful at what I do. When you make the big bucks, you gotta earn my respect.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Walk On Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Cotton's job in doubt at ISU

BY STEVEN PIVOVAR

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

AMES, Iowa - Barney Cotton knows Iowa State's football dilemma is not about him. The former Nebraska lineman and assistant coach is confident there is another job awaiting him should Iowa State officials hand out pink slips at the end of a disappointing season.

That's why Cotton wants to hear no talk that the Cyclones are playing to save his job as offensive coordinator in the final two games of the season. Cotton knows his boss, beleaguered head coach Dan McCarney, feels the same way.

The Cyclones (3-7) haven't won since September. Saturday's 41-10 drubbing by Kansas stretched Iowa State's losing skid to five games and is certain to turn up the heat on the coaching staff. This was a team that was supposed to challenge Nebraska for the Big 12 North Division title.

Instead, Iowa State needs to win at Colorado this week or at home Nov. 18 against Missouri to avoid going 0-8 in the conference. Saturday's loss to Kansas ended any hope the Cyclones have of becoming eligible for postseason play. All that awaits Iowa State after the season is closure on the question of whether McCarney will be back for a 13th season.

Iowa State Athletic Director Jamie Pollard said he'll wait until after the season to evaluate to the state of the Cyclones. But Pollard can't like what he's seen in the past couple of weeks as Iowa State has been outscored 72-20 by Kansas State and Kansas.

Cotton certainly doesn't, although he refuses to give up on the players. "I really like our kids," Cotton said. "If I could do one thing, I'd give these guys a win. They have worked so hard and prepared well these last five weeks, and it just hasn't happened for them."

Cotton's unit, the expected strength of the team, has been stuck in neutral. The Cyclones returned 10 starters from last season, including a group of skill players that was considered among the best in the Big 12. Cotton had four experienced linemen to work with.

After 10 games, Iowa State ranks 10th in the league in rushing offense and total offense and 11th in scoring offense. The line has allowed a league-high 35 sacks.

Iowa State has a bunch of good players, but few are difference-makers. And injuries have depleted the talent pool.

ISU played Kansas with four offensive starters on the sidelines. Three defensive starters have suffered season-ending knee surgeries.

Cotton's play-calling also has been an issue. He's been criticized for being too conservative. The Cyclones' ability to get the ball consistently to 6-foot-5 wide receiver Todd Blythe is a source of irritation to some fans.

Cotton is well aware he's not the most popular guy in Ames these days. He's a meat-and-potatoes guy. If Iowa State wants more sizzle, Cotton understands.

"I know I can look in the mirror every day and know I've given it everything I had. I don't profess to be the smartest coach or the most creative. But I've worked hard to put my players in the best position that I think I can put them in."