Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 92

Dell experts: difference between GX620 HH807 and F8098 motherboards

I posted this question on the Dell community boards awhile back, but never got an answer. I know we have some Dell users and other PC experts here, so maybe someone has an answer to this question...

I'm trying to pick up a motherboard for a Dell Optiplex GX620. By looking around, it appears that there are two models of motherboards for this computer, HH807 and F8098. Based on pictures from ebay, these boards look pretty much identical. Does anyone know what the difference (if any) might be between these two motherboards?

Thanks!

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Addict
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 487
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 6

Re: Dell experts: difference between GX620 HH807 and F8098 motherboards

I can't tell a difference but I can't find the the f8098 for sale in the united states on ebay so maybe it is a overseas part number.

Question for you though, why are you willing to replace the motherboard in it? Just buy a new system. By the time you spend what maybe $100 or so on the motherboard(which won't likely be new anyway) and the time to put it all back together. You are better off just buying a new dell, and selling the new or old LCD on Ebay.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cytech View Post
    Question for you though, why are you willing to replace the motherboard in it? Just buy a new system. By the time you spend what maybe $100 or so on the motherboard(which won't likely be new anyway) and the time to put it all back together. You are better off just buying a new dell, and selling the new or old LCD on Ebay.
    In the Dell mini-desktop case, it's really easy to swap motherboards. Secondly, I really don't need a new system. I have all my apps installed and set up as I want them. Thirdly, I don't want Vista. Last, I like to tinker with things...it's very relaxing to me...

I bought this GX620 cheap from a guy that converted his desktop GX620 from a desktop to mini-tower. The desktop GX620 motherboard only has one usable PCI slot when installed in the minitower case. I've already used that PCI slot, and would like to add one more PCI card. The minitower version of the motherboard has more PCI slots. I was just going to swap motherboards and then sell the desktop motherboard on ebay.

Addict
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 487
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    In the Dell mini-desktop case, it's really easy to swap motherboards. Secondly, I really don't need a new system. I have all my apps installed and set up as I want them. Thirdly, I don't want Vista. Last, I like to tinker with things...it's very relaxing to me...

I bought this GX620 cheap from a guy that converted his desktop GX620 from a desktop to mini-tower. The desktop GX620 motherboard only has one usable PCI slot when installed in the minitower case. I've already used that PCI slot, and would like to add one more PCI card. The minitower version of the motherboard has more PCI slots. I was just going to swap motherboards and then sell the desktop motherboard on ebay.
    Ahh I see do you know if the new desktop board will fit properly in the mini tower case, usually there is a reason they only have one PCI slot, and that is because there isn't room for more.

Also you can still get windows xp on a new dell so you don't have to get vista.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cytech View Post
    Ahh I see do you know if the new desktop board will fit properly in the mini tower case, usually there is a reason they only have one PCI slot, and that is because there isn't room for more.
    The other guy put his desktop motherboard in the minitower case, so that's why only one PCI slot is usable. I'm looking to put a minitower MB in a minitower case...