Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 40

Tour a virtual Disney World!

Allright, I have to confess that I am a card carrying Disney World geek, and I go there whenever I can (I once went for sixteen days with my family). Anyway, Google Earth now allows you to tour all of the theme parks and the resorts in 3D!
    Just open Google Earth, search for "Disney World" and you should see a gold Mickey head in the middle of the screen. Click on that and you can du a virtual walkthrough of the entire property. The level of detail is amazing, including a bowl of fruit on a table in the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse!!!

Okay, sorry... I know... I'll be handing in my man card now...

"Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many”; and "tics" meaning “bloodsucking creatures”." ~Robin Williams

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 129

Re: Tour a virtual Disney World!

I confess, I did it.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Starter
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 538
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I've been to Disney World twice in the last five years. It's a great experience...even for a man.

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 58

*stands up*

Hello, I'm aeroclone, and I'm a Disney World-holic.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

going back next week for the 2nd time in 3 years...Great fun

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 817
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 11

I think I have been there 3 separate times and I enjoyed it every time. I will probably even check this virtual tour out.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,013
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

One of my favorite views so far...

"Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many”; and "tics" meaning “bloodsucking creatures”." ~Robin Williams

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88

I've never been there and I don't know a thing about it. What do you even do there? Is it like an amusement park?

Starter
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 538
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I've never been there and I don't know a thing about it. What do you even do there? Is it like an amusement park?
    Walt Disney World Resort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's like an amusement park (think Adventureland) only about 1000 times bigger with better rides, shows, food, and attractions.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

What!?! An amusment park?

Walt Disney World has Four major theme parks (Magic Kingdom, Disney Hollywood Studios, Epcot, and Animal Kingdon). They all have thrill rides, dark rides, entertainment, restaurants, and they are all amazingly themed (you have got to see the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror). The resort also has themed hotels, golf courses, a shopping district with restaurants and nightclubs, two themed water parks, tennis courts, lakes for swimming and boating, a campground, a sports complex, and the Richard Petty Driving Experience where you can ride in or drive a stock car.
    Literally, there is something for everyone in the family there. One word of caution for any first time visitor- come prepared. Read guidebooks (the best is the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World) and figure out what you want to do. There is no way that you will be able to see everything in a single trip (I was there for sixteen days once and still didn't do everything). Use the guidebooks to help you figure out when you should go. There are times that everywhere is packed, lines for rides have a wait time of over an hour, you can't find a table to eat at. It can get bad. That being said, it is my absolute favorite place in the world. I've been there eight times and I can't wait to go back again.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine68 View Post
    What!?! An amusment park?

Walt Disney World has Four major theme parks (Magic Kingdom, Disney Hollywood Studios, Epcot, and Animal Kingdon). They all have thrill rides, dark rides, entertainment, restaurants, and they are all amazingly themed (you have got to see the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror). The resort also has themed hotels, golf courses, a shopping district with restaurants and nightclubs, two themed water parks, tennis courts, lakes for swimming and boating, a campground, a sports complex, and the Richard Petty Driving Experience where you can ride in or drive a stock car.
    Literally, there is something for everyone in the family there. One word of caution for any first time visitor- come prepared. Read guidebooks (the best is the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World) and figure out what you want to do. There is no way that you will be able to see everything in a single trip (I was there for sixteen days once and still didn't do everything). Use the guidebooks to help you figure out when you should go. There are times that everywhere is packed, lines for rides have a wait time of over an hour, you can't find a table to eat at. It can get bad. That being said, it is my absolute favorite place in the world. I've been there eight times and I can't wait to go back again.
    The scary part is that they have room to build twice what they already have. We were there during Hurricane Ernesto and they are actually a hurricane evacuation place. It can't flood and they have all of their own power, etc. This place is a fortress, not just an entertainment mecca...

If you haven't seen it, the History Channel has a neat documentary that shows the planning, building, behind the scenes stuff, etc.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wx4Cy View Post
    The scary part is that they have room to build twice what they already have. We were there during Hurricane Ernesto and they are actually a hurricane evacuation place. It can't flood and they have all of their own power, etc. This place is a fortress, not just an entertainment mecca...

If you haven't seen it, the History Channel has a neat documentary that shows the planning, building, behind the scenes stuff, etc.
    Yeah, Modern Marvels has a great show about WDW. I have a ton of books about the Disney Parks. DId you know that Cast Members refer to where the rides are in the Magic Kingdom as "the second floor"? When they built the park, the Florida soil was too wet to dig a basement for utility corridors, so they built them on the ground, covered them with dirt dredged up from the lakes that flank that park, ant then built everything else on top of that.
    It was always my dream to be an imagineer (the people who design and theme the rides). I got close once. I helped design a ride for Sea World of Florida!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88

What are they like for Roller Coasters? I've been to Cedar Point twice now and everything I've read has them the #1 place in the country for roller coasters but I've ridden them all several times and I think it would be fun to try some new ones. I honestly just haven't gotten around to it because I'm kind of afraid that the rides wouldn't be as tall or fast and then I'd be disappointed. I don't really like any other rides except for coasters.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

What are they like for Roller Coasters? I've been to Cedar Point twice now and everything I've read has them the #1 place in the country for roller coasters but I've ridden them all several times and I think it would be fun to try some new ones. I honestly just haven't gotten around to it because I'm kind of afraid that the rides wouldn't be as tall or fast and then I'd be disappointed. I don't really like any other rides except for coasters.
    WDW has plenty of roller coasters, but they are not the kind that you would find at Cedar Point. Space Mountain is basically a wild mouse coaster, but it is totally in the dark. While it doesn't have the height or speed of other coasters, the fact that you can't see what is coming next adds to the thrills. Like Space Mountian, Rock'n Roller Coaster is also in the dark (but still themed) and it uses a magnetic induction system to launch you from 0-60 in about 3 seconds, and then into several inversions. The other roller coasters are all about theming. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is a pretty tame coaster, but it has a fun theme. Expedition Everest is a great coaster (you spend a fair amount of the ride going backwords) but I would not consider it an extreme roller coaster.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 327
    Given: 708

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine68 View Post
    Rock'n Roller Coaster is also in the dark (but still themed) and it uses a magnetic induction system to launch you from 0-60 in about 3 seconds, and then into several inversions.
    That beginning part is crazy fast. The rest of the ride is nice.