Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Directv HD Questions...

Had a couple question for any Directv HD subscribers out there. My wifey and I bought a new HDTV last night, it will be the second HDTV in our house. Right now I use a Samsung SIR TS360 receiver for our OTA HD broadcasts and Directv's SD service (has an onboard ATSC tuner), I don't subscribe to the HD service. Well, now we're thinking that we do want to spend the extra $11 a month for the HD service. I didn't find out till earlier this week that a 5 LNB dish exists (we currently have the 3 LNG dish) and we have a tech coming out to put one on our shed roof. So here are the questions:

1. Will my existing HD receiver (which we only used for OTA HD in the past) work with Directv's HD service?? I spoke to three different people with Directv and they all insisted that it would, but I have serious doubts.

2. Does the Des Moines market carry local HD channels yet?? If I have to replace the Samsung tuner with an H21 to pick up Directv's HD sat signal it does NOT include an on board ATSC tuner, and my original HDTV is only "HD Ready" (almost 5 years old), so I wont be able to get local channels on the one TV. If they aren't carried yet, any word on when they might start??

The H20 receiver did have an onboard ATSC tuner, so I may be in the market for one if anybody has one being unused or wanted to upgrade to the new HD DVR model.

Thanks for the help!!

-James

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,135
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 66

Re: Directv HD Questions...

No locals in HD for Directv yet. I hope someone on here knows when they're coming....

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

1. No idea on this one.

2. No. You'll need to continue using your OTA antenna for the local HDs.

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 84

1. Your current HD receiver will only get the "legacy channels" in HD, which is ESPN and ESPN 2, HDNet, and Discovery Theater. It would also get HDNet Movies and Universal HD, but those are an extra $5. Also, it would get HBO HD and Showtime HD for the time being if you subbed to those packages.

You will be missing the other 50-60 channels of HD, so upgrading would be worth it!

2. Des Moines is not carried in HD yet, but with a new sat having just been put in space in testing mode, I would think by the end of the year they will be carried. If you can find an H20 at Best Buy, then I would certainly go that route vs. ordering from Directv and getting a H21. Otherwise, you could spend an extra $100 for the HR21, and see if Directv will throw in a free AM21, which will receive the OTA signals for the HR21 since Des Moines isn't carried yet. Wouldn't hurt to call and ask!

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 602
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

OTA is best for local anyway, because the signal is not compressed and you get a better signal.

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 1

I just got Directv HD installed in and the installer said the the locals would be coming very soon...Iowa City and Cedar Rapids already have theirs. We are next!! I also used to work at Best Buy and from what I know about the HD receivers I would say that your receiver should work.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,135
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 66

Quote Originally Posted by bhoodjer View Post
    I just got Directv HD installed in and the installer said the the locals would be coming very soon...Iowa City and Cedar Rapids already have theirs. We are next!! I also used to work at Best Buy and from what I know about the HD receivers I would say that your receiver should work.

I got it installed about 3 months ago and was told the same thing....not trying to burst your bubble, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by nj829 View Post
    1. Your current HD receiver will only get the "legacy channels" in HD, which is ESPN and ESPN 2, HDNet, and Discovery Theater. It would also get HDNet Movies and Universal HD, but those are an extra $5. Also, it would get HBO HD and Showtime HD for the time being if you subbed to those packages.

You will be missing the other 50-60 channels of HD, so upgrading would be worth it!

2. Des Moines is not carried in HD yet, but with a new sat having just been put in space in testing mode, I would think by the end of the year they will be carried. If you can find an H20 at Best Buy, then I would certainly go that route vs. ordering from Directv and getting a H21. Otherwise, you could spend an extra $100 for the HR21, and see if Directv will throw in a free AM21, which will receive the OTA signals for the HR21 since Des Moines isn't carried yet. Wouldn't hurt to call and ask!
    I agree upgrading would be worth it, it just stinks that the new receivers don't have the ATSC tuner built in anymore. I already had to buy an H21 last night from Best Buy for our new HDTV, was looking to avoid buying two plus an addition HD local tuner.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 271
    Given: 372

I think they are making a $99 add on tuner for the HR21. I got an extra HR20 from Directv about 2 months ago so they may still exist.