Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 506
    Given: 48

Pollard has made his decision *opinion*

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Mac will be allowed to resign following this season's debacle. If he doesn't resign he will be fired. This season's meltdown is the second in the last 4 years and the one constant in this whole situation is Dan McCarney. Mac has some strengths but one of his big weaknesses is actual coaching ability. I have yet to see us pull off the big upset with great strategy or use the element of surprise as a weapon. We don't use misdirection on offense or on defense as a weapon. Players that show great promise early in their careers actually seem to regress.

Pollard has a vision of growth and hope for the future. It is apparent that retaining Mac will stymie our growth and give us little hope for the future. We gave Dan a break after 2003. Now a couple years later he needs another break. It is time to take a chance with a new coach. I trust Pollard to make the right choice. It is obvious that the administration is committed, fan base is committed, our Athletic Director is committed and that the weak link in the whole equation is our head coach and coaching staff.

At the very least, a coaching change will give our fans the "hope" that things will get better. If a coaching change is not made, season ticket sales will decline, donations dry up, and Pollard's vision will not be attained. There are young coaches out there who would leap at the chance to coach at a Big XII school with a committed AD and administration and a hungry fan base. They would have the chance to build a program with their name on it and take it to higher levels. Their only downside would be to have a similar season to this one (where we could easily be winless) but they would be given time to implement their program. I think Pollard knows that Mac is done even if the team wins the last two games. Mac has had some golden opportunities and in every instance the team has p*ssed down their leg. So long Mac! Thanks! And good luck to you!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 22

Re: Pollard has made his decision

where did u get this?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Pollard has made his decision

This is pure speculation on my part. But based on Pollard's comments and non-comments, it is my belief that Mac will soon be history. We are about 3 plays away from a WINLESS season. And this in the 12th year of Mac's ISU career. Inexcusable. This is the SECOND meltdown in the last 4 years. The common thread is Mac.

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Pollard has made his decision *opinion*

Agreed, it's time.

Walk On
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 501
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Stormin.... I totally agree with everything you said. I do not see how we can afford to keep Mac. To be honest, I gave up on this season after the Nebraska game. Now after Kansas, I think other ISU fans have given up as well.

I did not agree with the Nancy Clark DSM Rag article. Have any of you read that? What a disgrace.

I really do think this team has the talent to win and be very competitive. Nancy Clark made it sound like we don't have the talent in the program to do much of anything.

Drews79

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

We have talent. But I don't believe the players believe in the system anymore. Our system is one that we have the belief that we will line up toe to toe and out physical the opposing team. Sounds okay, except that we use NO Misdirection. We don't counter, we don't trap. We run straight ahead or a sweep or off tackle. The opposing defenses can fly to the ball because we never sucker them in with misdirection. We can't execute a screen as our players don't know how to carry out fakes. Our play action fools NO ONE. Teams physically superior to us beat us every time. And when we play that soft cover zone we let opposing quarterbacks get into a comfort zone and build confidence so they look like Heisman trophy candidates. Iowa Hawkeyes played the same way against Northwestern and look how they turned out.

Meyer is one scared quarterback who is fast losing confidence in himself and his teammates. Opposing defenses are teeing off. He scampers to the right under pressure and usually just throws the ball away. Mac has let this season slip away. Sorry buddy but we gave you a big raise and this is how you performed? When I tell people that we supposedly only have to pay Mac $225,000 per year for the life of the contract EVERYONE says to PAY IT.

Rookie
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The most dis-heartening thing about this season is that it is appearent the team has also given up on the season, and Mac.

"If it was easy, someone else would have done it already." ISU Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard

Starter
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 1

Should Mac Resign Now

I would agree that JP has made up his mind. If there was any doubt going into yesterday's game, it should have been erased. The team (coaches & players) did not show up yesterday.

Mac has earned the right to leave on his terms & if he feels that is after the Mizzou game I have no problem. However, I see some benefits if the decision has already been made for the resignation to be announced before the season is done:

1) The uncertainty & questions that Mac is sure to face from the media will be clarified. IMO the staff & team can then focus on finishing the season.

2) Mac has done a lot for ISU and the football program. It may seem hypocritical, but I think it would be gracious to thank Mac for his efforts at the last game. Otherwise he is likely to get a job at another school and as fans/university community there might not be the opportunity to recognize Mac for quite some time.

3) I also think it will allow the seniors to go out with the focus on them and the final game- not Mac's job status.

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 809
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Drews79 View Post
    I really do think this team has the talent to win and be very competitive. Nancy Clark made it sound like we don't have the talent in the program to do much of anything.
    Nancy Clark is a complete moron and has little to no knowledge of anything sports related. In all likelihood, she is kept on in the Rag's sports dept for diversity reasons. I have yet to read an article of her's that makes a point that isn't either completely ridiculous or so basic that a 12 year old couldn't have come up with the same idea. I award her zero points, and may God have mercy on her soul.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

The thing is, for the Mac apologists, it's not like we're just losing games. We are getting manhandled by fellow cellar-dwellars. At this rate, I see no way possible that we could beat Colorado, and the Mizzou game is a wash already.

If Pollard hasn't made up his mind already, I don't know what he's waiting for. The only doubt I have is that he doesn't want to fire every single coach after one full season, because that could get him a reputation as an AD that doesn't give people a chance to succeed. Obviously, the facts tell a different story, but if Pollard is competing with another school for a top coach, that is the one thing that could come back to haunt him.

Walk On
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by zdorr40 View Post
    Nancy Clark is a complete moron and has little to no knowledge of anything sports related. In all likelihood, she is kept on in the Rag's sports dept for diversity reasons. I have yet to read an article of her's that makes a point that isn't either completely ridiculous or so basic that a 12 year old couldn't have come up with the same idea. I award her zero points, and may God have mercy on her soul.
    JP stated at the Greater Des Moines Cyclone Club lunch that he does not have very much respect for Nancy Clark. She is one of the ISU writers and has not made one attempt to inverview, call or even e-mail JP. JP also said it's not like he has shied away from the media. Nancy just writes her opinions without even interviewing JP or anyone else. She is worthless.