Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Suck it up Cyclone Fans!

There are only about 35,000 real Cyclone fans out there (at the games). The rest of you fair-weather crybabies that like to point fingers and show up when it is either convenient or fashionable can put a sock in it.

This whole winning thing is a circle of life - but where does it start? Recruiting? Winning? Fan support? The only thing we as fans can control is the latter, and it is so critical. What is the impression made on recruits when they visit Memorial Stadium in Lincoln? Those people are there rain or shine, tv or not, and know how to sell that program. Granted it's the only show in town, but we're not asking for 85,000 people to show up....just about half of that.

I know the team has layed an egg almost all year, but does that mean we turn our back on them too? Do we kick them when they're down? Yesterday was the perfect fall afternoon for college football and the parking lot and the stands were virtually a ghost town. Pathetic. My first reaction was simply embarrassment because there are a million people within an hour of the stadium and we can't find 50,000 willing to get off their lazy ***** and make it to the game. If you don't want to support any investment you've made in the program, then shut your crybaby mouth and let the real fans take care of the problems.

Do you really think you "fans" deserve a winner when you so easily give up yourself?

My guess is you'll have a new coach to tear down next year. Pollard's lack of public support is a statement all in itself. If he hasn't decided to whack Mac yet, he has effectively cut him off at the knees by not publicly supporting him and I think you'll see a few de-commits soon.

If I was Phil Bates parents, wouldn't you be looking around? Thanks Pollard and all you so called fans.

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

Re: Suck it up Cyclone Fans!

If I was Phil Bates parents, wouldn't you be looking around? Thanks Pollard and all you so called fans.
    When Pollard makes his decision I guarentee he'll put no thought into player or recruit attrition. If you do, you end up with Wayne Morgan. Losing a few players and recruits now to ultimately be better in the long run is a sacrifice almost all AD's will be willing to make.

Pollard needs to get rid of Mac, he's a lackluster coach who's arguably had his entire career made by a Walden player! Seriously can anyone make the argument that without Troy Davis Mac might not have made past his 5th year? And without Troy Davis would we have started that streak of great running backs? I doubt it.

Rookie
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Sitting in the stands watching crap football does not make you a better fan then me or anyone else who was not there. Quite frankly it makes you an idiot.

I had better things to do yesterday afternoon. Primarily coaching my daughter's basketball team and then playing with my kids at the park. When our basketball game got over at 2:00 I rushed to the radio, only to hear Walter's montone voice as Kansas went into the endzone to make it 20-3. Game over.

I want Mac gone now, but I HATE that it has come to this. I have met Mac, even played golf with him. I like the guy. But, Pollard has to let him go...

Who cares if we lose some recruit? Maybe the kid's skills don't match what the new coach is looking for?

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 1

You know, I'm starting to get sick of all this junk being tossed at the fans. It'd be one thing if last year we went to a New Year's bowl game or something, but our team hasn't done that in a bit. And here we are, twice in only a few years we're going to finish winless in the Big XII?? Who can possibly expect there to be a sellout? There's no way! To get as many people out there initially as we had was pretty darn good, considering the circumstances, in my opinion. Keep in mind, too, that it only takes another 10,000 to completely fill up JT. So 35,000 is not bad AT ALL.. ESPECIALLY considering out team is so bad.

Give me one team, placed with our team's history and records, that can pull off sellout crowds right now. I'm pretty sure that's nobody.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I made the concious decision not to attend yesterday simply because I did not want to go for the first time in the past 6 years (vs. having a scheduling conflict). I don't want to spend 3+ hours of my Saturday just getting ****** off. I'm pretty sure I had more fun yesterday than I would have if I had gone to the game.

Seneca Wallace.

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 841
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 2

I wish i could have been at the game; I hate missing them. This was only the 3rd home game I have missed in my 5.5 years of college. I know I would have had more fun at the game (eventhough we did get blown out) than I did at my apartment listening on the radio (nothing against John Walters and crew).

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 145

Quote Originally Posted by CloneInOmaha View Post
    There are only about 35,000 real Cyclone fans out there (at the games).
    So me being an alumni and living over 1000 miles from Jack Trice means that I can't be a real fan???
    Or do you just mean to be a real fan you must be happy when you see a team getting worse as they play teams that are worse then the one they played the week before??
    I was a season ticket holder for 5 years while I attended ISU. I think I missed only 4 games due to being at work; and even back then we were tired of Mc.
    The real fans (and fake) pay good money and we would like to see some sort of return on investment.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 928
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 46

There are only about 35,000 real Cyclone fans out there (at the games). The rest of you fair-weather crybabies that like to point fingers and show up when it is either convenient or fashionable can put a sock in it.

This whole winning thing is a circle of life - but where does it start? Recruiting? Winning? Fan support? The only thing we as fans can control is the latter, and it is so critical.
    I'd like to nominate this for the dumbest post in the history of mankind. Actually, in one way or another, fans control everything. I think I'll be the first to say it, fans got Fine and Morgan fired (as much as their own ineptitude), and Mac is next. If you don't believe it, you don't have much longer to wait...

All-Star
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 760
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Suggestions:
    1. Do not shoot the fans, who went, stayed home, or left partway through.

2. Do not assume you are better than anyone else for any given decision, and what is right for them.

3. If the world was the way you see it, you and 3 other fans could have the stadium to yourself.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Since when did college athletics become little league, where you come out to watch your kids try their hardest, and go buy them pizza afterwards for an effort well done, win or lose?

People are paying good money for tickets, parking, drinks, food, apparel. We should be able to show our disgust when the team is playing as though it doesn't care and the coaches don't seem to be putting much effort into it either. You act like we are Yankees-type fans, where if we don't win the national championship every year, it's a disappointment. We have seen playing subpar, D-IAA (at best) football all season long, and you're blaming the fans for getting sick of it? Give me a break. Do us all a favor: Turn in the cardinal and gold and pick up a red and white N, because you're no Cyclone fan.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Since when did we have 35,000 decent fans at a recent game? Maybe to start the game and everyone around me spent the entire time yelling at every play and screaming about what a bum Dan is. It just sounded plain childish. I won't go overboard defending Dan or anything. I just want to say that there definitely was not 35,000 fans that you could call true fans by your definition.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9

Wink Re: Suck it up Cyclone Fans!

Quote Originally Posted by dccyclone25 View Post
    Since when did college athletics become little league, where you come out to watch your kids try their hardest, and go buy them pizza afterwards for an effort well done, win or lose?

People are paying good money for tickets, parking, drinks, food, apparel. We should be able to show our disgust when the team is playing as though it doesn't care and the coaches don't seem to be putting much effort into it either. You act like we are Yankees-type fans, where if we don't win the national championship every year, it's a disappointment. We have seen playing subpar, D-IAA (at best) football all season long, and you're blaming the fans for getting sick of it? Give me a break.
    Great post, up until the final sentence which I deleted from my quote. ISU is losing fans at a fast rate as it is; we don't need to run any more off!

Plus, I'm pretty certain I saw the author of the thread loading the offensive line into his station wagon after the game and my son overheard Scott Stephenson telling Aaron Brandt how much he liked the crazy bread at Godfathers!

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This has crossed the line from 'ridiculous' to 'stupid'.

Considering that we were winless in conference and hadn't even won a game in nearly two months, there were a damn impressive chunk of people in the stands at kickoff on Saturday. The west stands were basically full (even the upper deck) and the east stands did quite nicely, too. The students showed up late (and I can't blame them- it was GORGEOUS football weather, and there was no incentive to hurry at the Kansas game) but they showed up in full force and spirit, ready to support their team.

Ask anyone and they will tell you that I am a diehard advocate of supporting your team to the end, through thick and thin. No matter what is or is not happening on that field, I will be right there shouting out my encouragement and support to our guys until the clock reads 0:00. Nothing will ever change that, and I encourage similar behavior in everyone around me. That said, I understand that not everyone is willing to put the same effort in, and I can respect that. Yesterday, I didn't even get mad when I saw people streaming out in droves early in the third quarter. I was almost able to sympathize with them, and I certainly didn't blame them for leaving. At that point it was pretty obvious that there was no way we were going to get any points up or stop Kansas from scoring.

Blaming the fans is a sorry excuse. We're Cyclones- we're accustomed to showing up to support our team even though they're usually not doing too well. But we show up anyway. But there IS a breaking point, and yesterday just happened to be it. I've walked out of movies before because I found them to be so very badly done that I didn't care enough to even watch the rest of it. Yeah, I'd paid my money and had hoped to be entertained, but I wasn't being entertained. Why should I stay at the movie? It would be a waste of time in my eyes, and I could at least go spend an extra hour doing something else. Same deal with Saturday.

I'll be there to the end, but with a show like that on the field, I won't assume that everyone else will be.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Shut-up. This team has given up. This coaching staff has given up. I spend planty of cash on a National Cyclone Club membership, two season tickets, fan gear, food, etc for ISU. For my and every fans investment I expect a team to try. I saw hundreds of fans on Saurday who cared more about the game than most of the players and coaches.

I am sick of those fans like you who consider themselves almighty fans. You are satisfied with a sh**ty team who would probably lose to West Des Moines Valley right now. ISU will likely go 0fer in the conference this year, losing a combines 72-20 to two of the worst teams in the conference-and you ***** at us who expect more from this team? You ***** at us who still show up to watch this pathetic excuse of a team because we are not cheering mindlessly for a team that has clearly quit?

Idiots like you are content to stick their heads in the sand and ignore reality. There is NO REASON this team should not contend for for conference championships. "Real" fans would expect their team to strive to be the best and would expect their team to play hard.

Prospect
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 410
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Give it a rest...

This has nothing to do about the fans. I made the drive from Madison, WI to watch that crap. I stayed until 4 minutes left in the game. Does that make me a bad fan just because I left early? No freaking way!