Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 61

Cubs Pitching

I love watching the Chicago Cubs this year. Their offense is great, they play pretty good defense as well. I知 afraid however the Achilles heal for this team is their pitching staff. If you take out Zambrano and Marmol, the Cubs pitchers are mediocre at best. So far they致e been able to compensate for that by overpowering teams with offense, but sooner or later they have to cool off.

How likely do you think they値l be able to upgrade pitching before the trade dead line? I知 not a baseball expert, but seems not a lot of pitchers get traded during the year? What do you think?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Cubs Pitching

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    I love watching the Chicago Cubs this year. Their offense is great, they play pretty good defense as well. I’m afraid however the Achilles heal for this team is their pitching staff. If you take out Zambrano and Marmol, the Cubs pitchers are mediocre at best. So far they’ve been able to compensate for that by overpowering teams with offense, but sooner or later they have to cool off.

How likely do you think they’ll be able to upgrade pitching before the trade dead line? I’m not a baseball expert, but seems not a lot of pitchers get traded during the year? What do you think?
    How much do you watch the Cubs?????

The pitching hasn't been that bad, and as for the two pitchers you claim to be no issue, Z had issues early in the game last night and Marmol gave up 3 runs in the bottom of the 9th.

They could maybe use 1 more starter and I think they will probably get one at the break, but overall the staff is doing extremely well, that is one of the reasons they have the best record in the league.

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 532
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 7

I think Dempster has been a delightful surprise as a starter this year as well as Gallagher coming on.

It would be nice if the starting pitchers could consistently put in more innings as the bullpen is getting worn down. But I guess that your best guys in the bullpen are needed a lot when you have a chance to win just about every game.

Don't forget about Sean Marshall and Rich Hill (both decent starters last year) down in triple A working to come back and contribute. They are probably just as good as most pitchers you can get at the trade deadline and you don't have to give anything up for them.

Addict
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cys_av8r View Post
    How much do you watch the Cubs?????

The pitching hasn't been that bad, and as for the two pitchers you claim to be no issue, Z had issues early in the game last night and Marmol gave up 3 runs in the bottom of the 9th.

They could maybe use 1 more starter and I think they will probably get one at the break, but overall the staff is doing extremely well, that is one of the reasons they have the best record in the league.
    I watch them almost every night and follow them on the radio during the day.

Big Z has only lost 1 game all season and Marmol has one of the lowest ERA's in the country.

No doubt they are doing well, but that has more to do with their offense and defense. The pitching staff in general has been giving up a lot of walks and runs.

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 532
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 7

Speaking of pitching- How about the way those cubs pitchers can swing the bat. Yikes.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I am worried about the pitching too, but I don't think its as bleak as Bobber is making it out to be.

Hopefully they can add one more arm at the end of the rotation, but other than that I am happy.

Starter
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,063
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 28

I think it's very likely, and there will be some pitchers available at the deadline. A couple of big names that I've heard so far include Sabathia and Halladay. I would take Halladay in a heartbeat. I believe he's in the final year of his contract in Toronto, and they will be looking to get some value for him before his contract expires. IMO, he would be an ideal addition to the Cubs rotation because he gives you the kind of dependability that is a MUST in the playoffs.

And at the risk of sounding greedy by considering someone the caliber of a Halladay a "must have", that's exactly how I feel. If your goal is a WS title, a legit #2 (maybe even a #1 on some teams) is a must have in my mind. Really, outside of Z, I'm not banking on anyone else in the rotation. Lilly has been inconsistent this year, and his career numbers don't exactly give you warm fuzzies. Dempster has been amazing, but he hasn't been a starter for 3 years, and could easily (likely) fade down the stretch. Marquis... I don't even expect him to be in the rotation by the end of the season. Gallagher is showing promise, but you can't bank on a rookie in the playoffs. Marshall is quickly becoming the invisible man, and Hill's Jekyll and Hyde act just won't cut it. I just don't see how you can pass on a Halladay-caliber starter if he's available and you have the chips for a trade.

Hendry will make a move before the deadline. There is very little doubt in my mind. I think the only thing that may jeopardize that is any sort of issues with the pending ownership change.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I forgot about Dempster. Yes he is having a good year.

The Cubs have the tools to do well this year. I just don't think they have much depth in the pitching and if one of the key guys get's hurt it's going to hurt them.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 522
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 4

Unfortunately, the farm system is a bit depleted and the names that the Cubs do have will be hard to part with if they need to acquire a pitcher at the break.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

My pitching concerns are Marquis and Lilly. If Gallagher can keep doing what he has done so far he will be just what the doctor ordered.

The bullpen has been good, my concern there is Wood.

Defensively Soriano needs to pull his head out of his ***. He is seriously lost out there.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34

once hill is back in form he will bolster the rotation a lot, personally i think marquis needs be replaced by gallagher when hill comes back.

the bullpen is exceptional by my standards... the marmol/wood combo at the back end is dominant

ALL IN

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34

Quote Originally Posted by psychlone99 View Post
    I think it's very likely, and there will be some pitchers available at the deadline. A couple of big names that I've heard so far include Sabathia and Halladay. I would take Halladay in a heartbeat. I believe he's in the final year of his contract in Toronto, and they will be looking to get some value for him before his contract expires. IMO, he would be an ideal addition to the Cubs rotation because he gives you the kind of dependability that is a MUST in the playoffs.
    do you have any idea what we would have to give up to get either halladay or sabathia????? we cant afford to give up guys that are big contributers, and we just dont have the prospects in the minors to make a deal like that

ALL IN

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cys_av8r View Post
    Defensively Soriano needs to pull his head out of his ***. He is seriously lost out there.
    Not sure he's that bad, but I did find it interesting that Pinella pulled him out in the 9th last night and put in Reed Johnson. Reed ended up catching the game ending hit which was almost a home run. I'm not sure Soriano would have gotten that one.

Soriano is a mixed bag, but definetly an explosive offensive player.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

The Cubs need one more starter and at least one more quality arm in the pen. Lou wanted to rest Marmol and Wood yesterday but couldn't because of the incompetence of the other guys. Both of those guys already have 30 appearances, putting them in the top 4 of all of baseball. One of the good things about that is they often have the lead, but they are going to have to find another arm to help them out...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,449
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 199
    Given: 46

Cotts has done well so far.

I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.