Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 16

Preseason College FB Magazines

I noticed one the other day and Jon Miller talked about a few on is show today. How do these sell? They are so wrong. I found one from last year the other day and looked to see how close they were and they didnt do very good. It is these peoples full time job to pick these things and I think some people on here could to the same or better in there picking of teams.

Case in point. Jon talked about how one ranked teams by sure wins, toss ups and sure losses. They had ISU with 3 sure wins 1 toss up and 8 losses. 3 Wins against the non conference teams but Iowa. The Iowa game was a sure loss. I didnt catch the toss up but it was prob Baylor. Why is Iowa a sure loss? Its not like they are some top 10 team that is a power house. Look at the last 10 years, look at the last 5. This game is a toss up at best. I know Iowa fans wont like this but the Iowa and ISU programs are not too far apart. I guess there guys get paid the big bucks so they know Iowa will win forsure. Heck the games ISU plays against Colorado and KSU are not even toss ups and ISU won them last year. The OSU game is a sure loss too since they are a power program. Heck ISU has had trouble against Baylor in the past so why not give that game to them. Its all BS.

Look at Iowa they said they have 7 sure wins. What? This program clawed to get 5 wins last year (or was it 6). But 7 wins is a sure thing. Someone write this magazine and tell them Prince, M Jackson, and George M. are on top of the charts anymore its not the 80s.

Rant Over.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 5

Re: Preseason College FB Magazines

If these things are so worthless (which they are), why are you ranting?

The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Addict
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

FWIW, Phil Steele is usually pretty accurate. He messed up on Kansas, but then, mostly everyone did. He had us playing for the north title in 2004 when everyone else predicted us to be last.

Even if his predictions are somewhat (usually rarely) inaccurate, I love the info flowing out from the mag. Definitely picking it up again. Stuff like Athlon hurts my head from all the fluff they put in.

Last edited by AirWalke; 06-02-2008 at 10:06 PM.
    Go Sssssssssyclones!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 198
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 4

That's what I love about college football, nothing is given, you can't assume things, and anything can happen.

Droppin' 3's like my name is Scotty C.

Philippians 4:13

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post
    If these things are so worthless (which they are), why are you ranting?
    I just want to know why people buy them. It ruffels my feathers a bit to hear ISU getting little respect and Iowa getting a lot, when ISU has their number. I know ISU has to prove it on the field but it seems they never get any breaks in these things. While Iowa has stuff to prove and they get the breaks.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Rookie
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

As much as I hate to say it in the last 25 year Iowa has had a better program consistantly. These writers remember that crap. Doesn't mean they are right but they remember. It really wasn't that long ago that they were 11-1. Teams that have been consistantly bad don't get respect. There has been more good than bad at Iowa in this span and more bad than good for ISU. Sad but true. I still hate Iowa though.

I'm kind of a big deal!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    I just want to know why people buy them. It ruffels my feathers a bit to hear ISU getting little respect and Iowa getting a lot, when ISU has their number. I know ISU has to prove it on the field but it seems they never get any breaks in these things. While Iowa has stuff to prove and they get the breaks.
    I wasn't trying to be a jerk - just asking.

While I understand why you're mad, Iowa has at least finished .500 or more in 6 of the last 7 years - while ISU has finished .500 or more in 4 of those seasons. Unfortunately, they look mostly at history, tradition, etc... more than they do at schedules, returning players, and coaching.

I think ISU will be much improved, but I can see why they are predicting some of these losses.

The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post
    I wasn't trying to be a jerk - just asking.

While I understand why you're mad, Iowa has at least finished .500 or more in 6 of the last 7 years - while ISU has finished .500 or more in 4 of those seasons. Unfortunately, they look mostly at history, tradition, etc... more than they do at schedules, returning players, and coaching.

I think ISU will be much improved, but I can see why they are predicting some of these losses.
    I understand Iowa has a better past than ISU, and am fine with that, ISU has to prove it on the field and being picked this way makes it more fun when they do win. Why pick next year if you are not going to look at players, coaching, and schedules, that what it is all about more than what a program was like 15 years ago.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree that the predictions are way off. Even if ISU goes 4-8 (which I don't think they will), the ISU/ Iowa game is not a sure loss. Who ever did those predictions didn't think it though enough. Also, if Iowa wins 7+ games next year, Kirk should get a rise. I just don't think Iowa can do it.

Addict
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,258
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

SouthernHawk, how do you feel about the Iowa/ISU game right now? Obviously, feelings may change after the first two weeks of the season, but even that might be misleading if 2005 is any indication.

I just ask because I am good friends with a hardcore Hawkeye who hates ISU more than anyone I have met, and he's worried about the game. I think we've got a shot, but I wouldn't predict for us to win.

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23

It's happened every year for the last 10 years...Iowa fans claiming an easy victory, usually a blowout. I find it kind of humorous that it still happens.

As for the magazines, my guess is that people are dying for any sort of college football talk so they buy the magazines. Who cares if they are often wrong, they are fun to read IMO.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

I just have two responses to this -

1. How is having 7 wins with one of the worst schedules in Division 1 getting a lot of respect?

2. ISU was not good last year. They were not good the year before. We lost a significant amount of statistical playmakers from the previous year - I completely understand why there isn't much respect for ISU.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 273
    Given: 171

I remember us getting a TON of respect in 2006. Most likely the best QB in the Big XII, excellent running game, talented corps or receivers, solid offensive line, defense, especially secondary, was young and inexperienced, but the offense was supposed to be good enough to make up for the defenses' ills. How did that season end? With McCarney emptying out his desk, and not because he was offered a coaching spot at a more prestigious football university...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

One thing I have noticed is that a lot of value is placed on visibility and program branding. Iowa is probably in the worst shape it's been in since the late 70's this year but it's still riding the rift of being a very well known program.

Ostensibly a Quarter Pounder with Cheese is better burger than a Juicy Lucy or Gunderburger. That' doesn't mean it's necessarily true, but more people have a positive experience with the former over the latter.

It's a fact people, Iowa has more exposure and a better reputation than ISU does. We as ISU fans need to get over this inferiority complex. From an objective standpoint ISU and Iowa have parity in talent and coaching. ISU doesn't however have the national brand or reputation that Iowa does. That in my mind will change.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

You must have some pretty ruffled feathers then cuz it has never been any different.