Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

2008 football predictions

aug. 28 vs. south dakota state
    arnaud warm up. i think this game is going scary we have alot of new players in skill positions that will need to be broke in. this is going to be closer than it should be but......ISU 28 SDSU 17 1-0

sept. 6 vs. kent st.
    REVENGE!! last years game should not have gone the way it did and GC will have the team ready with the rust worked out in week 1..........ISU 24 Kent st. 14 2-0

Sept. 13 AT iowa
    the hawkeyes will be improved from last year and though i hate to say it but i dont think 5 field goals are going to win it this year and i have to give the hawks the edge.......ISU 17 IOWA 24 2-1

Sept. 20 AT UNLV
    the cyclones have serious problems on the road but UNLV have worse problems...............ISU 31 UNLV 21 3-1

Oct. 4 vs. Kansas
    last year was no fluke for the jayhawks and unless reesing and half the defense is injured i dont see this one swingin the cyclones way......ISU 21 KU 34 3-2 (0-1)

Oct. 11 AT Baylor
    the bears have a new coach and problems on defense .......ISU 28 BU 21 4-2 (1-1)

Oct. 18 Nebraska
    this one could go either way if the cyclones dont have many big injuries and have settled on offense then clones and if the huskers have fixed their defence then huskers but with a new coach and system.......ISU 31 NU 28 5-2 (2-1)

Oct. 25 Texas A&M
    A&M seemed to be 2 different teams last 1 looked like it could be on the right track and the other looked like they could lose to anybody so this game will come down to the which team they bring........ISU 17 TAMU 28 5-3 (2-2)

Nov. 1 AT oklahoma st.
    Too much offence for the clone on the road.......ISU 24 OSU 35 5-4 (2-3)

Nov. 8 At Colorado
    at this point the clones are hungry for that 6th win and know they will most likely have to get on the road........ISU 31 CU 28 6-4 (3-3)

Nov. 15 Missouri
    crap missouri is still good......ISU 21 MIZZ 38 6-5 (3-4)

Nov. 22 AT Kansas st.
    the wildcats and clones have played alot of good games recently and i can see both teams taking this one but as a clone fan........ISU 28 KSU 24 7-5 (4-4)

i posted this on another site but there seems to be more activity over here just wanted to see what you guys thought

Last edited by keepngoal; 06-03-2008 at 10:56 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Re: 2008 football predictions

ISU's chance of winning game-by-game:

S.Dakota State - 95%. Too much talent, depth, and intimidating environment for S.Dakota State.

Kent State - 90%. We were learning a new system on-the-fly last year and gave up 2 costly interceptions on plays where the offense was not on the same page. With the team having a full year with the new playbook, those mistakes won't be a factor.

@ Iowa - 75%. A rivalry and sellout stadium is a tough road debut for a first year starter -- whether it's Arnaud or Bates -- but even most ISU fans haven't realized just how bad Iowa has become. We won't light up the scoreboard by any means, but as long as we avoid turnovers and force Iowa to go the length of the field on every possession, their offense will be lucky to score a point.

@ UNLV - 60%. This is the high-risk non-conference game, especially if we are 3-0 and looking ahead to the Big 12. First road game and we have to deal with playing a night game 2 time zones away in a 100 deg desert climate that they're accustomed to and we are not. UNLV gave us everything we could handle 2 years ago and has some revenge factor from that. They also are not without talent -- UNI has had a good run the past few years and part of it has been giving 2nd chances to rehabilitate thugs like the RB from Nebraska and the DB from Iowa. UNLV is doing the same thing and has several rehab projects on their roster -- the only catch is that theirs come from USC. USC produces some very high quality thugs.

vs Kansas - 10%. KU caught lightning in a bottle last year. I'll be surprised if they're a top ten team this year, but they're still a lot better than us. If the game gets out of hand, maybe the scoreboard can display a running count of how many hot dogs Mangino eats during the game.

@ Baylor - 80%. Sweet chance for Chizik's first Big 12 road win. A must have if we want to at least be in the running for bowl eligibility, and if we can post win #4 by mid-October the speculation will begin.

Nebraska - 60%. I look for the Huskers to take a step back before they take a step forward. Their season will be interesting since Pelini, with Osborne looking over his shoulder, is a 180 degree departure from Callahan...but he's got a roster full of Callahan's players. With Pelini being the ticking time bomb hothead that he is, NU may be crumbling from internal strife by the time we play them. Especially if they've already lost to Virginia Tech, Texas Tech, and Missouri before playing us.

Texas A&M - 50%. Pluses are the game is at home and they are in the same boat we were in last year with a 100% coaching staff change. Minuses are they still had the talent to upset Texas last year. If I had to pick one game as the make-or-break game to indicate how the season will go, this is it.

@ Oklahoma State - 15%. I agree, they have home field and too much offense. A longshot for us to win.

@ Colorado - 40%. We beat them last year but now go on the road and they're going to be further along the rebuilding path.

Missouri - 5%. The best team we will play all season. Home or not, we are outclassed.

@ Kansas State - 80%. We could be playing for a bowl game and K-State may be in disarray by this time. Their collapse including losing the last 4 last year has Prince firmly on the hot seat.

Adding up the likelihood of winning: 0.90+0.95+0.75+0.60+0.10+0.80+0.60+0.40+0.15+0.50+0.05+0.80=6.6 wins; expected final record is 6-6 or 7-5.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

That Nebraska game is going to be VERY important.

Rookie
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 4

I don't think we have the advantage against Nebraska. Their offense won't change and they weren't the problem last year. The defense had talent just not work ethic. Pelini will fix the attitudes and I think they will have a very competitive football team. They suck and I hate them but they won't be completely rebuilding.

I'm kind of a big deal!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 375
    Given: 114

Quote Originally Posted by longdriveforsom View Post
    arnaud warm up. i think this game is going scary we have alot of new players in skill positions that will need to be broke in. this is going to be closer than it should be but......ISU 28 SDSU 17 1-0

sept. 6 vs. kent st.
    REVENGE!! last years game should not have gone the way it did and GC will have the team ready with the rust worked out in week 1..........ISU 24 Kent st. 14 2-0

Sept. 13 AT iowa
    the hawkeyes will be improved from last year and though i hate to say it but i dont think 5 field goals are going to win it this year and i have to give the hawks the edge.......ISU 17 IOWA 24 2-1

Sept. 20 AT UNLV
    the cyclones have serious problems on the road but UNLV have worse problems...............ISU 31 UNLV 21 3-1

Oct. 4 vs. Kansas
    last year was no fluke for the jayhawks and unless reesing and half the defense is injured i dont see this one swingin the cyclones way......ISU 21 KU 34 3-2 (0-1)

Oct. 11 AT Baylor
    the bears have a new coach and problems on defense .......ISU 28 BU 21 4-2 (1-1)

Oct. 18 Nebraska
    this one could go either way if the cyclones dont have many big injuries and have settled on offense then clones and if the huskers have fixed their defence then huskers but with a new coach and system.......ISU 31 NU 28 5-2 (2-1)

Oct. 25 Texas A&M
    A&M seemed to be 2 different teams last 1 looked like it could be on the right track and the other looked like they could lose to anybody so this game will come down to the which team they bring........ISU 17 TAMU 28 5-3 (2-2)

Nov. 1 AT oklahoma st.

Nov. 8 At Colorado
    at this point the clones are hungry for that 6th win and know they will most likely have to get on the road........ISU 31 CU 28 6-4 (3-3)

Nov. 15 Missouri

Nov. 22 AT Kansas st.
    the wildcats and clones have played alot of good games recently and i can see both teams taking this one but as a clone fan........ISU 28 KSU 24 7-5 (4-4)

Reply | Quote | Edit i posted this on another site but there seems to be more activity over here just wanted to see what you guys thought
    That game scares the crap out of me....

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Nebraska's defense wasn't just bad, it was awful. They gave up 36 points to Texas A&M, 41 to Missouri, 45 to Oklahoma State, 65 to Colorado, and 76 to Kansas. It would be hard for a MAC team to be that bad. I think it will take more than a half season of Pelini throwing tantrums to change things....if he can do it at all.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 213

We'd have to beat the likes of SDSU, Kent State and UNLV by more than a combined 31 points for me to think we have a legit chance at going 4-4 in the conference.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

S. Dakota St.- win, but closer then expected
    Kent St.- Good win
    @Iowa- very close good game, ISU wins
    @UNLV- tough win
    Kansas- loss, but a better showing then last time
    @Baylor- fair win
    Nebraska- toss up, close win
    Texas A&M- strangely my gut says loss, but my head says win
    @Oklahoma St.- loss, bad
    @Colorado- loss, but closer
    Missouri- loss, closer
    @Kansas St.- close loss

6-6/ 2-6 very likely. 7-5/ 3-5 possible if we can turn a close loss our way.

Starter
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 3

I think SDSU is the most important game on our schedule this year. I don't think playing at Jack Trice against a D-1A team is going to scare them. They will probably come in thinking they have one of the best chances at nocking off a D-1A team. If we can't beat them it will set a tone for the season like the loss to Kent State did to us last year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 342

Wow.... Thats some really positive thinking by you guys. I wish I was seeing things the same way. I see us winning 2 non conf games and then 1 maybe 2 big 12 games.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 375
    Given: 114

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Jacobs View Post
    I think SDSU is the most important game on our schedule this year. I don't think playing at Jack Trice against a D-1A team is going to scare them. They will probably come in thinking they have one of the best chances at nocking off a D-1A team. If we can't beat them it will set a tone for the season like the loss to Kent State did to us last year.

Precisely. Not to make this sound like another McCarney potshot, or anything, but losing games like this has become a hallmark of ISU football, in my mind, and was the #1 thing I was hoping Chizik would change. Oddly enough we lost every game we played against a lower conference team, but I blame that on an unfamiliarity with the system, and remnants of the old regime....

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

All-Star
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 58

We should be better than 5 of the first 6 teams we play, and probably Nebraska, too. A 6-0 start is possible if the offense works out the kinks early. I said a few wks. ago that 8 or 9 wins isn't unthinkable or unatainable, and I still feel the same. Maybe I'm wrong, let's hope not.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,092
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 34

Since we are far away from the season yet, I do not want to make a big prediction. I will say I can see ISU winning anywhere from 3 to 9 games. (way to go out on a limb I know!) D-line will be huge and the quarterback does not have to win games for ISU, just play smart football and do not turn it over. (Trent Dilfer super bowl style.)

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

I think we win 5 games this year, maybe 6. Remember we weren't a good team last year and we just lost most of our best players. That being said Mean Gene will have the boys ready to go and pull out a couple more. I'm not sure we have a bowl team yet but Meyer's first year was a nice surprise after the 2003 nightmare.

That being said, is it time for kick off yet?

Last edited by mramseyISU; 06-03-2008 at 07:32 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 869
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by longdriveforsom View Post

sept. 6 vs. kent st.

Sept. 13 AT iowa

Sept. 20 AT UNLV

Oct. 4 vs. Kansas

Oct. 11 AT Baylor

Oct. 18 Nebraska

Oct. 25 Texas A&M

Nov. 1 AT oklahoma st.

Nov. 8 At Colorado

Nov. 15 Missouri

Nov. 22 AT Kansas st.

Reply | Quote | Edit i posted this on another site but there seems to be more activity over here just wanted to see what you guys thought
    I'll gladly accept this scenario