Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,405
    Given: 662

The case for McCarney

I think McCarney is a great head coach (wait and hear me out on this one). He brings endless enthusiasm, tremendous energy and gives it his all...blood, sweat and tears. He is an incredible leader and the perfect man to promote a football program.

However, I think I could make a pretty good case that Iowa State, under McCarney, has only been as good as the assistant coaches. Many very good assistants have come and gone.....Loney, Rhoades, Elliot to name a few. The program's success has seemingly bounced up and down with the loss of coordinators. I honestly don't know, but does Mac play an active role in the day to day training and coaching of the team, or does he play the role of leader and let the assistants do that? It would be interesting to know.

I've always had the management philosophy that you hire good people and then stay the hell out of their way. I suppose the hiring good people part is critical to that philosophy working out. So, when I say that Mac is a great head coach, I meant that he would be, in a perfect world, with great coordinators, the perfect leader for a program. Without good people, he might not.

Rookie
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 564
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: The case for McCarney

Wow.........

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Power View Post
    Wow.........
    That pretty well sums it up. We have a winner.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Pride, I can see your point. I really can. But when you say that in a perfect world Mac would be a good coach if he had good assistants....that's true, but unfortunately for him hiring good assistants is part of his job. He SETTLED on Cotton. He's always had the ability as the leader of the team to put his foot down and overrule his coordinators. His complete lack of ability to coach, improvise, and alter gameplans in-game are obvious. He was quoted as saying that Cotton is one of the best offensive assistants in the country...that should tell you something right there.
    Even before Barney Fife came to Ames, Mac was known for being notoriously, mind-numblingly conservative. In my mind, things would be vastly different if we won the North those two years. This conversation wouldn't be taking place because of the great class of recruits that would follow, and possibly the attraction of up and coming assistants wanting to be here.
    To me, a great head coach is like a farmer in that they have to be good at a plethora of things to be successful. They certainly aren't allowed to slack on any one part of their responsibilities at the risk of failure and a bad crop. We have a bad crop this year, and it's the direct result of Mac's flaws. The guy is damn good at certain things like selling the program, recruiting, etc., but his lack of aggressive game-day coaching, not taking advantage of critical moments to move the program forward, and hiring of inept coordinators (Cotton mainly) has been the culprit of his demise.

Last edited by Michael Lastuvka; 11-05-2006 at 02:46 AM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 748
    Given: 522

not just settled for fife, but wouldn't let him go when he offered to resign

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

That's very interesting that you attach "great" to someone that is not even close to .500 in terms of won/loss. If Mac was even close to .500, average might be a word used, but not "great". Most head coaches that are labled "great" are so because they have won something: a title, winning percentage, etc. How depressing that for a ISU fan, that Dan's won/loss record indicates that he will be remembered as a "great" head coach.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 79

He was quoted as saying that Cotton is one of the best offensive assistants in the country...that should tell you something right there.

I was at the game yesterday and the two things that really stuck out were:

The OL is terrible, out of sorts, and not at all a unit

The offensive scheme was very simple, predictable and the same stuff we have seen for the whole year.

This last one kills me because I can clearly see what defenses are doing to shut ISU down, and don't see any changes in the plays to take advantage of the obvious overloads defense send at Meyer. On one of those very long days that these coaches work they could design a couple of plays that attack the middle of the field or the left side. It has gotten laughable watching Meyer sprint backwards and to the right until he runs out of bounds of throws the ball out of bounds. At the end of almost every one of these plays there are 22 guys within 20 yards of the right sideline.

All-Star
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 694
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 12

Does anyone else get tired of people in the media saying things like ISU should NOT get rid of McCarney because "the next step" could be a step back? And then they also beg ISU fans for patience with DanMac? Patience? Is DanMac even at the .400 mark for wins at ISU? Do these media yo's not remember the 2002 collapse? The 2003 disaster? The 2004 letdown? The 2005 letdown? This year's non-effort? No other school in the country would put up with results like this for so long.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 125

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I think McCarney is a great head coach (wait and hear me out on this one). He brings endless enthusiasm, tremendous energy and gives it his all...blood, sweat and tears. He is an incredible leader and the perfect man to promote a football program.
    First, your definitions of "great" and "incredible" seem to be significantly different than the definitions used by 99.5% of English-speaking population. Endless enthusiasm and energy is worthless if the leader can't translate that enthusiasm and energy to gametime performance.

The program's success has seemingly bounced up and down with the loss of coordinators.
    The program's success has bounced up and down with the strength of the Big 12. When the Big 12 is weak, ISU is "good".

I've always had the management philosophy that you hire good people and then stay the hell out of their way.
    This is football, not a Fortune 500 company. When something isn't working (Like ISU's offense), the HC needs to step in and correct it, not watch it implode and sink to the bottom of the abyss.

Starter
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 261
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Cool Re: The case for McCarney

Yeah, that bugs me when the media sticks up for Mac, and says who could Iowa State get that would be better then Mac! Another thing that bugs me is when Hawk fans say the same thing, do they forget there 19 straight losing seasons before Hayden ?

CyFreddy

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 215

Our previous 3 opponents (Tech, K-State & Kansas) have a combined record of 17-13 (6-4, 6-4 and 5-5 respectfully). These are the teams that the fans, coaches, players and media expect us to beat.

We lost to them by a combined score of 114-46.

Again, in the last three weeks, we lost to Texas Tech, Kansas State and Kansas, 2 of which were at home - by a combined score of 114-46.

After looking at that, I wasn't aware a case existed for Dan McCarney.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,405
    Given: 662

I'm not disagreeing that the last few weeks were pathetic and I don't think it is likely that Mac will keep his job. I may not have stated my case in a way that was very clear. What I am trying to point out is that ISU has only been as good as the coordinators have made them, and if it were a perfect world (and it's not), and ISU always had great assistants (they haven't), then ISU under Mac maybe wouldn't be so up and down.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Who hires the assisstants??? Ohhhhh that's right Mac does.

He has had MULTIPLE opportunities to prove what he can do, and has continually come up short. Anyone who can't see that.....there may be nothing further to discuss with them.

I am sure of one thing though, Mac will not resign unless it would be to save face. They haven't run a series of coaches to his radio show, defending him, if that were going to be the case.

And I am still not convinced that Mac won't be here next year as well. I am just not really getting the vibe from the people that I know that he is going to be out. He is fighting hard (to keep his job, not get his team ready), and I don't know if JP will pull the trigger.

Jeffrey A Crawford

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I'm not disagreeing that the last few weeks were pathetic and I don't think it is likely that Mac will keep his job. I may not have stated my case in a way that was very clear. What I am trying to point out is that ISU has only been as good as the coordinators have made them, and if it were a perfect world (and it's not), and ISU always had great assistants (they haven't), then ISU under Mac maybe wouldn't be so up and down.
    What is his overall record at this point??? 30 games UNDER .500, forget the 13-42 (wow) start, what is his record since 2000 UNDER .500.

I guess I don't see the strength of the program that you do. You know if we had won a conference title, won 10 games, gone to even a middle tiered bowl, I might see your argument, but we haven't.

The program is better than when he took it over, but we haven't seen him take us to any big heights of success. And a couple more years like this, and it will be at '94's level.

Jeffrey A Crawford

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 763
    Given: 3,058

I don't think cyclonepride was making a statement that Dan is only as good as his assistants - I think he's asking the question IF he's only as good as his assistants. Is there anyone on here who played for Mac? See cyclonepride's question in the first post - does Mac play a very active role in the training? Does he work w/the offensive and defensive coordinators to design plays, or does he let them do it?