Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Fire safety scam?

Has anybody heard of a company selling smoke/heat detectors door to door, with the salesmen claiming to be firefighters? My wife talked to some of these guys at a home show a while back and last night they come over to to a fire safety walkthough and sell us there expensive smoke detectors. I figured these guys were going to charge a premium on these things but they gave us the quote for $290 per detector.

Have any of you guys had them over and try to pull this crap on you guys. I did some checking on the web and the same style smoke detectors can be bought for $25 at home depot (photo electric). I knew these guys were going to try and scare my wife into buying but I'm glad she held strong.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,287
    Given: 631

Re: Fire safety scam?

Haven't heard that one before, but I do get endless calls from the same company who look for donations alternately in the name of police/firefighters/veterans. After researching them on the internet, I found that almost zero of the donations actually get to those who you are supposed to be helping.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 702
    Given: 481

I figure unless they're selling candy bars (little leaguers) or cookies (girl scouts), they're trying to scam away your money. Fresh after graduation I was looking for advertising jobs in Chicago. The only ones that ever called back were door-to-door salesmen. What was even more sleazy was these guys were pushing themselves off as DARE representatives trying to raise money for DARE by selling coupons from local businesses - even had DARE "nametags" and everything. What was downright disgusting was if you read the fine print on these things it said these guys were in no way affiliated with DARE and only a certain percentage - I believe it wasn't even 25% - actually went to DARE, as the rest of that money filtered its way through the pyramid. What had me running and screaming in the other direction was the local director of the Ponzi scheme was pimping around his Lexus roadster convertible, saying "if you work hard enough you could be in my position one day," and at the end of the day them telling me that "either I can drive back to - with disgust all over his face - Iowa - or I could come in and sign the papers to join them." Let's just say I drove back to - Iowa - that evening and never looked back - nor did I ever regret that decision.

(the cool thing is the next day I got in contact with Erin Wilgenbush, Barbara Mack, and whoever was an academic adviser in 2003 - I forget her name, but she had experience in the advertising field - all three of them said I made the right decision in staying far away from that place. Mack even said she was going to see if there any laws that were being broken by them. Never heard anything else about that, though...)

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    What had me running and screaming in the other direction was the local director of the Ponzi scheme was pimping around his Lexus roadster convertible, saying "if you work hard enough you could be in my position one day," and at the end of the day them telling me that "either I can drive back to - with disgust all over his face - Iowa - or I could come in and sign the papers to join them." Let's just say I drove back to - Iowa - that evening and never looked back - nor did I ever regret that decision.
    This just ticks me off. I wish there was a law that allowed Iowans to wipe the sneer off those people's faces, with a baseball bat....

The sad thing is: The kind of person that sneers when they say "Iowa" are generally low-life scum of the earth. I'm an Iowan and darned proud of it.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Pro
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by mramseyISU View Post
    I figured these guys were going to charge a premium on these things but they gave us the quote for $290 per detector.
    Wow. Some of these door-to-door guys are brazen, but $290 per? I bought a ten pack of FireX detectors for $120 last month.