Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

Re: Loney was in town today - bye week for the Cardinals

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO, this guy had better not be a head coaching candidate. He has struggled while with the Vikings and with the Cardinals. He is not the guy I want running my program. His offensive lines have been known for being the worst in the league, we don't need 40 sacks a game like we have now

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 275

Quote Originally Posted by arganbright2 View Post
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO, this guy had better not be a head coaching candidate. He has struggled while with the Vikings and with the Cardinals. He is not the guy I want running my program. His offensive lines have been known for being the worst in the league, we don't need 40 sacks a game like we have now
    Once again. Get a clue. The top 5 offenses in ISU history were when Loney was OC. He has been with the Cardinals for 6 games.

Loney coached the offensive line for the Vikings during the 2002-2004 seasons and then was promoted to offensive coordinator for the 2005 campaign. The 2005 Vikings finished the season winning 7 of their last 9 games while having to deal with season-ending injuries to starting center Matt Birk and quarterback Daunte Culpepper. During Loney’s four seasons in Minnesota, the Vikings lead the NFL in total offense in 2003 and set a team record for yardage in 2004 while ranking 4th in the NFL during that season. The Vikings led the NFL in rushing in 2002, setting a team record with 2,507 rushing yards which broke the old mark of 2,279 set in 1965. In addition, the Vikings offensive line helped set new team records in rushing touchdowns (26) and yards per carry average (5.3) in 2002. Loney also helped guide center Matt Birk to two Pro Bowls (2003-2004) during their four years that they worked together.

The 2004 Vikings set a team record by averaging 396.2 yards per game, breaking the previous team mark set in 2003. They ranked 4th in the NFL in total offense and 2nd in passing offense behind the career-best performance of Culpepper, who broke virtually every Vikings passing record and posted the 4th-best passer rating in NFL history. Loney had to start six different combinations of players along the offensive line in 2004 due to injuries.

The 2003 Vikings featured a starting five that opened all 16 games as a unit. Bryant McKinnie (LT), Chris Liwienski (LG), Matt Birk (C), David Dixon (RG) and Mike Rosenthal (RT) marked only the fourth time in team history that all five linemen started every game. The Vikings were one of only five NFL teams to have all five offensive linemen start every game and they were the only team in the NFL to have three different running backs (Moe Williams, Michael Bennett and Onterrio Smith) record 100-yard games that season. The feat marked only the second time in team history that three backs have run for 100 yards in a season.

Loney joined the Vikings in 2002 after finishing his third coaching stint at his alma matter Iowa State as the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach (2000-01). During his third stay with the Cyclones, Loney’s offense produced back-to-back bowl seasons in 2000-01. In 2001, the Cyclones’ offense averaged 423.1 yards per game and 26.9 points per outing and in 2000 his offense averaged 424.4 yards per game, the third-best total in school history. Prior to Iowa State, Loney was the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach at the University of Minnesota (1998-99) for two seasons. During the 1999 season, Loney’s Golden Gopher offense finished 2nd in the Big Ten and 11th in the nation in rushing offense. Minnesota averaged 415.4 offensive yards per game and 31.6 points per game that season. In addition to setting five school records in 1999, Loney’s offense produced All-Big Ten 1st team rusher Thomas Hamner (1,326 yards) and 1st-team All-American center Ben Hamilton.

From 1995-97, Loney was the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach at Iowa State where he tutored current Cardinals offensive tackle Oliver Ross. During his second stint with the Cyclones, Loney’s offense produced the only tailback in NCAA history to rush for a pair of 2,000-yard seasons in 1995 and 1996 Heisman Trophy finalist Troy Davis. Troy’s brother, Darren, followed that feat with 1,005 yards rushing in nine games in ‘97. During the 95-96 seasons, Loney worked with current Cardinals running backs coach Kirby Wilson at ISU.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 152

Thanks for the info dmclone, much appreciated.

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

I am sure some DESPERATE sniffers got him here. He did not leave because the Viking went after him. He went after the Vikings, because he was being removed. His ol' Buddy Tice picked him up.

I agree to the NO,NO,NO.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,001
    Given: 535

dmclone......looking for a job as Loney's agent? Sounds like you'd do well! I think Loney was excellent when he was at ISU. Who knows how he would do as head coach though.

Legend
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 275

I'm not saying that I know he would be a good head coach but I can tell you from his history that we would have a good offense. A lot of people forget how good we were on offense when he was here with less talent.

Cyputz-I'm sorry but you're wrong about him going to the Vikings. When he left he said the only reason he was leaving was because he wanted to be head coach at ISU and could see that wasn't going to happen anytime soon.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

He is going to be on KXNO this morning per a note on CycloneNation.com

All-Star
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

Actually It's 1430 KASI, not KXNO.

Rookie
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

NO, you are completely wrong.

I can tell you this. If we hire anyone other than Loney or Paul Rhodes then we are making a serious mistake. The other poster is right. Loney was quoted as saying the only reason he left was so that he would get an opportunity to be the ISU head coach some day. That wouldn't happen if he were still on staff.

Loney is a good coach. The question would be if he can recruit. Loney is one of the few ISU assistant coaches in the past who supported ISU in other areas, not just football. He is a Cyclone.

I've heard people mention Bevel (NO WAY!), Norvell (NO WAY!) and some other people who really do not care one bit about ISU. Plus they are in it for themselves, not the program. Those people would be terrible choices for ISU.

Hire someone who is a proven coach and someone who will actually care about the university. I see two obvious choices. Loney and Rhodes (Spelling?).

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by D UP Clones View Post
    NO, you are completely wrong.

I can tell you this. If we hire anyone other than Loney or Paul Rhodes then we are making a serious mistake. The other poster is right. Loney was quoted as saying the only reason he left was so that he would get an opportunity to be the ISU head coach some day. That wouldn't happen if he were still on staff.
    D UP, I don't necessarily agree that Rhodes or Loney are our only two choices. I COMPLETELY agree that I don't want Beval or Norvell. NO EX-HAWKS PLEASE!

URBCLONE

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 974
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 21

what the heck!!! why are all of so against loney!?!?!?! i think is about the best coach we will be able to get!! think about it, he has been here and he has done some great things, and a lil bit of info here... SOME COACHES DO BETTER IN COLLEGE THEN PROS!!!! it is rfricken common sense!! and not just in football either aka tim floyd and in football steve spurrier!! hire loney!!!

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

dmclone - you are wrong...he was not promoted to OC for the Vikings on Merit. He was promoted becuase Red MCcombs did not want to pay Scott Linahan or sign him to a multi-year deal because he was trying to sell the team. Linahan left...Loney moved up..SUCKED and was demoted and Mike Tice took over call playing dutie. Loney and Tice's staff were sent packing and Loney got Hired as the O'line coach in AZ....we all see how that is working out. ISU is the ONLY D1 program that would consider him....if it is between Mac and Loney I say we keep Mac! Loney's play calling was attrocious....I would have liked to see how good our offenses would have been if we would have had a good OC when he was here, or anytime for that matter....

Rookie
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Holy cow, where to start? Loney was asked to go with the former OC to be the oline coach and decided to stay. LOL I'm sure he must really suck if the OC was begging him to go with him.

And did you happen to see Daunte Culpepper that year? My goodness, that guy dropped the ball repeatedly just taking his drop back. Loney never had a chance to be Ocoordinator. The players reportedly wanted Loney. Tice took over because he knew his butt was on the line and felt that might help him.

I can't believe Arizona would hire such a poor coach. LOL I have to laugh when you try to turn his obvious success at ISU into a negative. I'm sure Sage Rosenfels was on every college team's list as a top quarterback.

ISU had all kinds of 4 star players. LOL

Where are you coming up with this stuff? I'm guessing you really know very little about these coaches or have never talked to any of them. No surprise there.