Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 61,086, Level: 76
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 564
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    sdillon500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    northern california
    Posts
    1,292
    Points
    61,086
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    Big XII revenue sharing

    Article from the Kansas City Star about last Thursday's Big XII meeting.

    www.kansascity.com | 05/22/2008 | Making sense of splitting the Big 12 dollars

    Choice quote from the article:

    "But more money is available to smaller-budget schools by scheduling better nonleague games. Baylor will pick up $300,000 for playing at Connecticut on ESPN2. The message: Play better schedules."

    Kind of a catch-22 there. Smaller budgeted schools generally have weaker football teams. Do you schedule tough non-conference games in a gamble to get more TV revenue, even if your tougher schedule means less potential out-of-conference victories, perhaps costing the team a bowl appearance?


    www.widerightnattylite.com/ - All the news on the team that gives you fits

  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,794
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Big XII revenue sharing

    See this thread:

    http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...e-sharing.html

    Totally unacceptable for ISU and other small schools. Time for Pollard to earn his money and get some changes made.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 467,609, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,597
    Points
    467,609
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 452
    Given: 307

    Re: Big XII revenue sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post
    See this thread:

    http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...e-sharing.html

    Totally unacceptable for ISU and other small schools. Time for Pollard to earn his money and get some changes made.
    The problem with this demand is of Texas, aTm, Oklahoma, and Nebraska, who do you convince to share revenues with the "little guys"?


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 98,359, Level: 97
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    tejasclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5,797
    Points
    98,359
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 26

    Re: Big XII revenue sharing

    I can't wait for the day when we don't have to play the South Dakota States, Toledoes, and Kent States of the world. I would love to see a home-and-home series with a team from the ACC, Big East, SEC, or Pac-10. It would also be fun to dump Iowa and play some other Big Ten teams--namely Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois. Although there is a risk for low-budget teams to lose a chance at a bowl by playing a tougher schedule, the potential benefit of that schedule can also improve your bowl prospects. Say you go on the road and beat another BCS team, especially one that is at least middle-of-the-road. That would be boon to a team's bowl resume.



  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 197,653, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jbhtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    10,660
    Points
    197,653
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 67

    Re: Big XII revenue sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by cardinal&gold View Post
    I can't wait for the day when we don't have to play the South Dakota States, Toledoes, and Kent States of the world. I would love to see a home-and-home series with a team from the ACC, Big East, SEC, or Pac-10. It would also be fun to dump Iowa and play some other Big Ten teams--namely Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois. Although there is a risk for low-budget teams to lose a chance at a bowl by playing a tougher schedule, the potential benefit of that schedule can also improve your bowl prospects. Say you go on the road and beat another BCS team, especially one that is at least middle-of-the-road. That would be boon to a team's bowl resume.
    Agreed on all counts!! Now, prepare to be blasted for even suggesting that Iowa be dumped from the FB schedule. Despite the fact that one of the most (if not the most) successful period in ISU FB came when ISU wasn't playing Iowa, you will be told over and over again how detrimental it would be for ISU to drop Iowa from the schedule...


    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

    Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 98,359, Level: 97
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    tejasclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5,797
    Points
    98,359
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 26

    Re: Big XII revenue sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    Agreed on all counts!! Now, prepare to be blasted for even suggesting that Iowa be dumped from the FB schedule. Despite the fact that one of the most (if not the most) successful period in ISU FB came when ISU wasn't playing Iowa, you will be told over and over again how detrimental it would be for ISU to drop Iowa from the schedule...
    I have seen the discussions that have taken place about the merits of keeping Iowa on the schedule, and I definitely understand that it is an important game within the state and keeps the boosters happy, etc. But it would serve us as a fanbase well to branch out a little. Too many fans, especially casual fans, are too focused on beating Iowa and saying the rest of the season doesn't matter as long as we beat the Hawks. But there is so much more out there...

    We can keep Iowa on the schedule and still schedule another Big Ten team. We did it last in 1997 when we played both Iowa and Minnesota. Iowa played multiple Big 12 teams when they played series with Nebraska and Kansas State.

    Whether we keep Iowa or not, we need to mix it up a little. I'm tired of playing the MAC, Iowa, and UNI every year.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 124,888, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    theshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,519
    Points
    124,888
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 0

    Re: Big XII revenue sharing

    The only time a team needs a resumé for a bowl game is if it's in the hunt for the national title. Everything else is based on number of wins. ISU is in a rare position of having its in-state rivalry game against a non-conference BCS opponent. That makes 9 of 12 games against a BCS team. Why add more?

    Big 12's Non-conference BCS opponents, 2008
    Baylor: 3 (Wake Forest, Washington State, at Connecticut)
    Colorado: 2 (West Virginia, at Florida State)
    Oklahoma: 2 (Cincinnati, at Washington)
    Iowa State: 1 (at Iowa)
    Kansas: 1 (at South Florida)
    Kansas State: 1 (at Louisville)
    Missouri: 1 (vs. Illinois [at St. Louis])
    Nebraska: 1 (Virginia Tech)
    Oklahoma State: 1 (vs. Washington State [at Seattle])
    Texas: 1 (Arkansas)
    Texas A&M: 1 (Miami)
    Texas Tech: 0

    *****
    Home: 7
    Road: 6
    Neutral/Road: 1
    Neutral: 1

    *****
    Big East: 5
    ACC: 4
    Pac-10: 3
    Big Ten: 2
    SEC: 1



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 197,653, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jbhtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    10,660
    Points
    197,653
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 67

    Re: Big XII revenue sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    The only time a team needs a resumé for a bowl game is if it's in the hunt for the national title. Everything else is based on number of wins. ISU is in a rare position of having its in-state rivalry game against a non-conference BCS opponent. That makes 9 of 12 games against a BCS team. Why add more?
    Plain and simple...MORE MONEY!!!


    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

    Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 385,350, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,563
    Points
    385,350
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 257

    Re: Big XII revenue sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    Agreed on all counts!! Now, prepare to be blasted for even suggesting that Iowa be dumped from the FB schedule. Despite the fact that one of the most (if not the most) successful period in ISU FB came when ISU wasn't playing Iowa, you will be told over and over again how detrimental it would be for ISU to drop Iowa from the schedule...
    I blame Hy-Vee =)

    You wont hear a gripe from me to drop Iowa. I have enjoyed the series, but I think it would be beneficial to get a rotating team or a home and home series with someone else to stimulate the season.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM