Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 22,761, Level: 46
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 789
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,023
    Points
    22,761
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

    Ms Cleo, ISUFAN13

    I have heard enough from various sources to feel like I have a better understanding of the status of ISU MBB. The chasm between what you have been trying to tell us is that this board is a group of diehard ISU fans that want the best for our programs. We are left with McDermott as our coach and want to be successful. Like kids left behind after the divorce of their parents, we are left to side with the parent that didn't do us wrong.

    So, how do we make this better? Do we pray for our coaching staff? Do we confront him on call in shows? Do we take solace that it works for Bob Knight? We have heard from Mike Taylor that GMac wasn't as bad as he thought and that Gmac was and was simply trying to prepare Mike T for the real world. We have also seen way too many people leave the program for, I am guessing, this reason. We have also heard Jake Sullivan tell us that great coaches use their high emotional IQ to get the most out of players. Maybe some MBB alumni could sit with GMac or JP and help him get better at this.

    You also have to know that how WJ carried this out was not the right way. He should not have signed the scholarship and should have let the staff know sooner. This is the brunt of the ISU backlash that you have seen here and paints him as the bad guy. Regardless if he has been spoiled to this point and is too soft for college athletics or something else is really the problem, there were better avenues to handle this problem.

    Don't know if you care to respond or if you even still read this site, but hope to hear from you.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 76,794, Level: 86
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Khorasan
    Posts
    5,111
    Points
    76,794
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Ms Cleo, ISUFAN13

    It makes me laugh when posters post here in the assumption that "players" and "coaches" are anything near co-equals.

    And it ticks me off that Mr. Johnson has a single defender.

    We have also seen way too many people leave the program for, I am guessing, this reason.
    And no way should sleazy comments like the above be tolerated. That is pure innuendo and smear tactics in action....


    I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 33,076, Level: 56
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,174
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,935
    Points
    33,076
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 0

    Re: Ms Cleo, ISUFAN13

    Some coaches just do not have a high emotional IQ. They are good at Xs and Os, but they fail to read what is going on with a player. It is kind of like people with high emotional IQs usaually are good at sales. They read body language, pick up on nuances, read tones ect... They don't even realize they are doing it, it just comes natural. These same people a lot of times are not very good at left brain activites such as computer programing. I'm not sure if in this case GMac is weighted to far to one direction and failed to pick up on something. According to him, he did what he could to communicate with Wesley and he felt everything was alright.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 876,752, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    57,201
    Points
    876,752
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,636
    Given: 2,132

    Re: Ms Cleo, ISUFAN13

    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    It makes me laugh when posters post here in the assumption that "players" and "coaches" are anything near co-equals.

    And it ticks me off that Mr. Johnson has a single defender.



    And no way should sleazy comments like the above be tolerated. That is pure innuendo and smear tactics in action....
    Both make me cringe. Comparing Mac to Bob Knight,............. that's not real bright. No police in trash cans, no chairs, no embarrassment that we see. If he were like Bob Knight in those regards, he couldn't hide it that well. His character would be revealed.

    As it is, I think his character was revealed: A guy who cares deeply about his players. He works to motivate them to be better. He looks out for their best interests (look at all that he was doing for Wesley's summer job, to accommodate for the injury).

    We've got a good coach at the helm, who just so happens to be a good man. Let's be happy with that, and rejoice with the wins coming this year.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 76,794, Level: 86
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Khorasan
    Posts
    5,111
    Points
    76,794
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Ms Cleo, ISUFAN13

    Quote Originally Posted by cayin View Post
    I'm not sure if in this case GMac is weighted to far to one direction and failed to pick up on something. According to him, he did what he could to communicate with Wesley and he felt everything was alright.
    Simple question: If you're "not sure about it", then why post it?

    All I've seen since the WJ thing is a bunch of low-count posters running a continuous "smear campaign" using speculation and innuendo to make the WJ defection GMac's fault, despite WJ's demonstrated lack of intestinal fortitude, vis-a-vis his commitment at ISU.


    I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

  6. #6
    Rookie
    Points: 10,395, Level: 30
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 155
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    PlymouthCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Hinton
    Posts
    527
    Points
    10,395
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ms Cleo, ISUFAN13

    If Ms. Cleo and ISUFAN 13 were legit sources within the athletic department, they would have gone to the media not posting on a message board with no accountability. People need to remember that an idiot with a computer and internet access can be "insiders" and know why player X left. I look at Ms. Cleo and ISUFAN 13 as I look at "reporters" for "National Inquirer".

    As for me, I'll trust coach. He didn't have his brother and brother-in-law speak for him or leave it too a press release. He laid out the facts with a time line. Now only if Wes could have acted like an adult.


    Last edited by PlymouthCy; 05-26-2008 at 10:10 AM.
    "If it was easy, someone else would have done it already." ISU Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 876,752, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    57,201
    Points
    876,752
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,636
    Given: 2,132

    Re: Ms Cleo, ISUFAN13

    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Simple question: If you're "not sure about it", then why post it?

    All I've seen since the WJ thing is a bunch of low-count posters running a continuous "smear campaign" using speculation and innuendo to make the WJ defection GMac's fault, despite WJ's demonstrated lack of intestinal fortitude, vis-a-vis his commitment at ISU.
    Funny how the low-count posters all seem to say the same thing, but never said it before WJ flew the coop. Almost seems fishy to me. Sorry, "fishy" has probably "jumped the shark."


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 33,076, Level: 56
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,174
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,935
    Points
    33,076
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 0

    Re: Ms Cleo, ISUFAN13

    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Simple question: If you're "not sure about it", then why post it?

    All I've seen since the WJ thing is a bunch of low-count posters running a continuous "smear campaign" using speculation and innuendo to make the WJ defection GMac's fault, despite WJ's demonstrated lack of intestinal fortitude, vis-a-vis his commitment at ISU.
    Yeah, you have a point there. I have no idea why it went down. One thing that bothers me, if he was mad at GMac, then why does he have to punish his team mates, fans, the program ect... He could have told GMac a long time ago his plans instead of doing it he way he did. It is fine not to like the coach or be anrgy with him, but to deciet everyone else was terrible.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 876,752, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    57,201
    Points
    876,752
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,636
    Given: 2,132

    Re: Ms Cleo, ISUFAN13

    Quote Originally Posted by cayin View Post
    Yeah, you have a point there. I have no idea why it went down. One thing that bothers me, if he was mad at GMac, then why does he have to punish his team mates, fans, the program ect... He could have told GMac a long time ago his plans instead of doing it he way he did. It is fine not to like the coach or be anrgy with him, but to deciet everyone else was terrible.

    Thanks for your balanced answer to the concerns being voiced.
    I was starting to think this thread was going to get nuclear, but this reassures me plenty.

    So, what was there for Wesley to really gain?
    1) He's the star.
    2) Coach tells him that next year is a good year to test the draft. That tells me that $ is on the way, legitimately.
    3) Now he waits 2 years for that pro shot. He'll be 2 years older, and who knows about draft prospects?


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 34,772, Level: 57
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 678
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    wolverine68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    2,575
    Points
    34,772
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 55

    Re: Ms Cleo, ISUFAN13

    My father-in-law used to run a bussing company that operates here in Iowa. On several occasions, he drove the UNI basketball team to games when GMac was the coach as well as some other local teams. He has often spoken of how highley he thought of GMac and how he related to his players and to others around him. It is his opinion that Iowa State is lucky to have someone like that coaching the basketball program.
    I know that this is simply another in a long list of "I know someone who knows someone" posts, but he is the only person that I know that has even met GMac personally and I respect his opinion. Yes, it sucks to be an ISU basketball fan right now. But times have changed. Students now are different than they were even ten years ago. Stand behind our team and our coach right now. Trust that things will get better.



    "Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many”; and "tics" meaning “bloodsucking creatures”." ~Robin Williams

  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 876,752, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    57,201
    Points
    876,752
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,636
    Given: 2,132

    Re: Ms Cleo, ISUFAN13

    Quote Originally Posted by wolverine68 View Post
    My father-in-law used to run a bussing company that operates here in Iowa. On several occasions, he drove the UNI basketball team to games when GMac was the coach as well as some other local teams. He has often spoken of how highley he thought of GMac and how he related to his players and to others around him. It is his opinion that Iowa State is lucky to have someone like that coaching the basketball program.
    I know that this is simply another in a long list of "I know someone who knows someone" posts, but he is the only person that I know that has even met GMac personally and I respect his opinion. Yes, it sucks to be an ISU basketball fan right now. But times have changed. Students now are different than they were even ten years ago. Stand behind our team and our coach right now. Trust that things will get better.

    That fits better with GMac's general reputation, which is a big part of the reason we hired the guy. He's going to be OK.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 76,794, Level: 86
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Khorasan
    Posts
    5,111
    Points
    76,794
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Ms Cleo, ISUFAN13

    I have to admit to being a bit sensitive about criticism of GMac, here. My first command was a National Guard unit that was in sorry shape, and in the process of clearing out the "deadwood", it started a cascade of turnover, to include some folks who were good people.

    But the reward for going through the turbulence was a much, much better unit in a relatively short time, and I more than made up my losses in the long run.

    I had no patience for all the "shoulda woulda coulda birds" at that time, and I find myself having little patience for them, now.

    I think it's time to back off GMac and let him do his thing. The worst that can happen is that he'll try and fail and we'll just need to find another coach. But, frankly, I don't think we've given him sufficient chance to succeed, yet.


    I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 119,826, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,182
    Points
    119,826
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ms Cleo, ISUFAN13

    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Simple question: If you're "not sure about it", then why post it?

    All I've seen since the WJ thing is a bunch of low-count posters running a continuous "smear campaign" using speculation and innuendo to make the WJ defection GMac's fault, despite WJ's demonstrated lack of intestinal fortitude, vis-a-vis his commitment at ISU.
    Do you really want to go there? Did you ask this of all those people that have posted the various "tampering" posts? Have you asked this of all the posters that have given us their thoughts as to why WJ left?

    My point is that a lot of posts are made on here that are just someone's opinion. When someone opines that McDermott might have some communication problems you chastize them for posting something they are "not sure about" but when someone suggests that a former coach at TCU or the UK BB program or WJ's brother is at the heart of WJ leaving I do not see anyone asking them if they are "sure" about their claims.



    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 876,752, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    57,201
    Points
    876,752
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,636
    Given: 2,132

    Re: Ms Cleo, ISUFAN13

    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I have to admit to being a bit sensitive about criticism of GMac, here. My first command was a National Guard unit that was in sorry shape, and in the process of clearing out the "deadwood", it started a cascade of turnover, to include some folks who were good people.

    But the reward for going through the turbulence was a much, much better unit in a relatively short time, and I more than made up my losses in the long run.

    I had no patience for all the "shoulda woulda coulda birds" at that time, and I find myself having little patience for them, now.

    I think it's time to back off GMac and let him do his thing. The worst that can happen is that he'll try and fail and we'll just need to find another coach. But, frankly, I don't think we've given him sufficient chance to succeed, yet.
    Glad to hear that. When I was an XO, we needed to move out about 40-50 soldiers for the various reasons that they had to go. I argued that we should just get it done, and the other argument was how to space it out so it didn't hurt us. Funny how I ended up as the S-6 in the Infantry a year later.

    Frankly, I think that all we've given him is a chance to fail. Let's rally behind the program, and see what this man can do!


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 76,794, Level: 86
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Khorasan
    Posts
    5,111
    Points
    76,794
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Ms Cleo, ISUFAN13

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    Do you really want to go there? Did you ask this of all those people that have posted the various "tampering" posts? Have you asked this of all the posters that have given us their thoughts as to why WJ left?

    My point is that a lot of posts are made on here that are just someone's opinion. When someone opines that McDermott might have some communication problems you chastize them for posting something they are "not sure about" but when someone suggests that a former coach at TCU or the UK BB program or WJ's brother is at the heart of WJ leaving I do not see anyone asking them if they are "sure" about their claims.
    That's an easy one: One of those kinds of posters potentially damages the program, and the other doesn't hurt it at all. While speculation is "dumb", there is a different between speculating that the moon is made of cheese, and trying to convince your neighbors to sell everything they own and flee, because it's going to fall to earth and kill them.

    We have only one "known" right now: WJ left unexpectedly, in an unacceptable manner. Short of GMac doing something illegal, there is no justification I can imagine for WJ's behavior.

    Frankly, players get "zero" benefit of the doubt in my book, especially when their visible actions are unethical and slimey. Oh, yeah, plus the FACT that the Coach is the boss and they are NOT.

    In the words of Alphonse Capone, "You got nuthin'."

    (But please, don't let that get in the way of continually posting negative speculation and innuendo about the head coach of our Basketball Team.)


    I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. West Virginia
  • November 29, 2014
  • 11:00 AM