Girls playing on boy's teams
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 174,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alaskaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,204
    Points
    174,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Girls playing on boy's teams

    A 12 year old girl was recently banned from playing on a boys basketball team.

    She competed against boys for more than a year, but now she will only be allowed to play against other girls.

    Should girls be allowed to play on boys teams? If so on what teams and why or why not?

    Link:
    Girl Banned For Being Too Good For Boys Basketball Team


    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

  2. #2
    Starter
    Points: 11,042, Level: 31
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Robins, IA
    Posts
    647
    Points
    11,042
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 3

    Re: Girls playing on boy's teams

    I have absolutely no problem with that, once people can understand everything should be fair but not necessarily equal we will all be a lot better off.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 879,740, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    57,647
    Points
    879,740
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,948
    Given: 2,359

    Re: Girls playing on boy's teams

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Jacobs View Post
    I have absolutely no problem with that, once people can understand everything should be fair but not necessarily equal we will all be a lot better off.
    Can you clarify this one? I think I might agree with you, but I'm not exactly sure.

    Do you mean fair but not equal as in: girls can play on boys teams, but aren't guaranteed to participate just by being there, or that we don't need to have boys' and girls' teams?

    The former would be OK. I'm not sure on the latter.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 24,890, Level: 48
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 660
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    isugcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Waverly
    Posts
    1,604
    Points
    24,890
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 89

    Re: Girls playing on boy's teams

    I have zero problem with a girl competing against boys, especially if she's kicking butt. I'd be outraged if I were them.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 135,027, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,339
    Points
    135,027
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Girls playing on boy's teams

    I can see the bind the league is in though, their rule backfired on them.

    "No player of the other gender is allowed on either a girls or boys team" - is the usual lingo to ensure all-girls teams in the girls side.

    Beleive me, if a parent b*tched, and the rules are on paper in a pay-to-play league, the league officials really have no choice but to enforce the rule.

    girls good though. and sounded really humble too when she was on tv this morning



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 175,608, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,236
    Points
    175,608
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 173
    Given: 23

    Re: Girls playing on boy's teams

    Good.

    Seriously, I know that it's PC to allow girls to play on boy's teams and what not. Here are the problems. If all of the good female athletes play on male teams, where does that leave the all-female teams?

    And if we are saying that the all girl teams are automatically the lower talented teams, what about boys who never sniff playing time on an all boys team - why can't they try out on the girls team?

    I hate this "We want it both way" culture that we're creating. If you want an all girls team, then you need an all boys team. You can't allow the all girls team to become a fall back option for lower talented girls, while the boys teams become co-ed. If it's gonna be co-ed, it needs to be on both sides.


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 11,042, Level: 31
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Robins, IA
    Posts
    647
    Points
    11,042
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 3

    Re: Girls playing on boy's teams

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Can you clarify this one? I think I might agree with you, but I'm not exactly sure.

    Do you mean fair but not equal as in: girls can play on boys teams, but aren't guaranteed to participate just by being there, or that we don't need to have boys' and girls' teams?

    The former would be OK. I'm not sure on the latter.
    I'll try to articulate my thinking a little better for you.

    In the past few years it seems like there have been a lot of cases where a girl wants to participate in a boys activity. I believe that the boys activity has every right to deny them of joining that organization as long as there is an alternative option (ex. we have mens and womens divisions of the same sport).

    Sure a girl can be good enough to play mens basketball, but can a guy that isn't very good at basketball play for the womens team?

    So i think that everything should be made fair. People should have the same opportunities to participate in an activity, however it does not have to be the exact same thing which would be equal. I believe fair is rarely equal and equal is rarely fair, and I think if we get to a position were everything is fair we will be better off than if everything is equal.

    I hope that helps, if you have any other questions I'd be happy to anwser them.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 39,172, Level: 61
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,178
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    tman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,060
    Points
    39,172
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 30

    Re: Girls playing on boy's teams

    We had something similar to this in my middle school days. There were a few girls that wanted to play football, so they got there way but then there were a few guys that wanted to play volleyball but they were not allowed to do it. I agree with sohawk it has to be both ways or no ways.


    Hooray for Metaphors!

  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 11,042, Level: 31
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Robins, IA
    Posts
    647
    Points
    11,042
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 3

    Re: Girls playing on boy's teams

    Quote Originally Posted by tman24 View Post
    We had something similar to this in my middle school days. There were a few girls that wanted to play football, so they got there way but then there were a few guys that wanted to play volleyball but they were not allowed to do it. I agree with sohawk it has to be both ways or no ways.
    It almost seems contradictory on my part but i believe girls should be allowed on football and wrestling teams because there is no womens division of the sport. Whereas volleyball has a mens and womens division, the mens team is just rarely picked up by high schools.



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 39,172, Level: 61
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,178
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    tman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,060
    Points
    39,172
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 30

    Re: Girls playing on boy's teams

    I dont have a problem with women on a mans team but there wasn't a mens volleyball team (in middle school or high school) so then the only one a male could go out for was the girls volleyball team. So how does that work? The males should be allowed to join that team.


    Hooray for Metaphors!

  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 58,878, Level: 75
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,172
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,399
    Points
    58,878
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 1

    Re: Girls playing on boy's teams

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Jacobs View Post
    It almost seems contradictory on my part but i believe girls should be allowed on football and wrestling teams because there is no womens division of the sport. Whereas volleyball has a mens and womens division, the mens team is just rarely picked up by high schools.
    I don't believe the state of Iowa has a men's division, so I don't think its even an option for high schools to pick up.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 879,740, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    57,647
    Points
    879,740
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,948
    Given: 2,359

    Re: Girls playing on boy's teams

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Jacobs View Post
    I'll try to articulate my thinking a little better for you.

    In the past few years it seems like there have been a lot of cases where a girl wants to participate in a boys activity. I believe that the boys activity has every right to deny them of joining that organization as long as there is an alternative option (ex. we have mens and womens divisions of the same sport).

    Sure a girl can be good enough to play mens basketball, but can a guy that isn't very good at basketball play for the womens team?

    So i think that everything should be made fair. People should have the same opportunities to participate in an activity, however it does not have to be the exact same thing which would be equal. I believe fair is rarely equal and equal is rarely fair, and I think if we get to a position were everything is fair we will be better off than if everything is equal.

    I hope that helps, if you have any other questions I'd be happy to anwser them.
    That works for me. I liked especially SouthernHawk's idea that this can make the women's program kind of a fallback for the less talented girls, and as you pointed out, less talented guys. It would lessen the level of repsect that people have for women's sports (if they have it to start with).

    Thanks for clarifying.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 97,685, Level: 97
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,365
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    everyyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,099
    Points
    97,685
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 209

    Re: Girls playing on boy's teams

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    A 12 year old girl was recently banned from playing on a boys basketball team.

    She competed against boys for more than a year, but now she will only be allowed to play against other girls.

    Should girls be allowed to play on boys teams? If so on what teams and why or why not?

    Link:
    Girl Banned For Being Too Good For Boys Basketball Team
    Well if so we really need to re-work title 9 which was set for equality in sports for men, women, boys, and girls. Under the current system then boys should be allowed to play on girls teams too. While on initial look this seems fair, what happens if all the second string boys decide that they would rather start on the girls team than set on the bench for the boys. If we say it is okay for a girl to join the boys teams but not vica versa, isn't what we are really saying is the boys teams are better, more athletic. And if so doesn't that negate one of the principles of title 9.


    Last edited by everyyard; 05-26-2008 at 11:12 AM.

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 97,685, Level: 97
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,365
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    everyyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,099
    Points
    97,685
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 209

    Re: Girls playing on boy's teams

    Quote Originally Posted by tman24 View Post
    I dont have a problem with women on a mans team but there wasn't a mens volleyball team (in middle school or high school) so then the only one a male could go out for was the girls volleyball team. So how does that work? The males should be allowed to join that team.
    And what happens when 5-6 of the high schools best boys decide they want to play on that volleyball team. Is it even a girls sport at that point? Do they raise the nets?



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 30,663, Level: 53
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    tube1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,022
    Points
    30,663
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 16

    Re: Girls playing on boy's teams

    Quote Originally Posted by everyyard View Post
    Well if so we really need to re-work title 19 which was set for equality in sports for men, women, boys, and girls. Under the current system then boys should be allowed to play on girls teams too. While on initial look this seems fair, what happens if all the second string boys decide that they would rather start on the girls team than set on the bench for the boys. If we say it is okay for a girl to join the boys teams but not vica versa, isn't what we are really saying is the boys teams are better, more athletic. And if so doesn't that negate one of the principles of title 19.
    What does Medicaid have to do with sports here?


    Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    I agree with Tube1.
    Sweeeeeeet...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Mediacom 22
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Drake
  • December 20, 2014
  • 04:00 PM