Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Sump pit

Has anyone ever had a sump pit dug into an existing basement?

In theory it seems like it could be a do-it-yourself job, albeit with a big saw... but I'd be up for suggestions.

What I have is an existing floating tile on the OUTSIDE of my foundation, that doesn't connect to anything - I think at one time it connected into the sanitary sewer line, but since that's been upgraded that link no longer exists, it being illegal and all.

Anyways, do I have to tile around the inside of the basement floor to lead to the sump pit or will if natually drain to a big hole? Also how big around and deep would we be talking?

cyclONEnation
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 30

Re: Sump pit

LINK

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by C.John View Post

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 440

CJ: that was for a sump pump to put in a sump pit. Jer is looking for how to put in a sump pit. correct Jer?

-keep

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

cyclONEnation
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 30

Watch the vid and read the article, it tells the basics of installing a pit.

Addict
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 95

Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post

In theory it seems like it could be a do-it-yourself job, albeit with a big saw... but I'd be up for suggestions.

What I have is an existing floating tile on the OUTSIDE of my foundation, that doesn't connect to anything - I think at one time it connected into the sanitary sewer line, but since that's been upgraded that link no longer exists, it being illegal and all.

Anyways, do I have to tile around the inside of the basement floor to lead to the sump pit or will if natually drain to a big hole? Also how big around and deep would we be talking?
    I've never heard of a sump pit without tile running to it. I doubt it would be very effective without the tile. Our last house had two sump pits put in "after the fact". The hole for the pit just has to be slightly bigger than the tub (the black plastic thing you put your pump into). There's nothing really difficult (knowledge wise) about doing it yourself. Just cut the hole for the pit/tub, cut around the foundation for the tile. Run the tile around and connect to tub. Put pea gravel on the tile. Cover tile and pit (outside the tub lid) with concrete. Clean the huge mess you just made

Almost forgot about the pipe running outside from the pump. Might need that:)

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

I just went through this painfully. We purchased a house knowing it had previous water issues and they had installed a system much like what your describing - the term they used was a beaver tail system. Cutting the inside slab and pushing a tile on the inside of the foundation around the house and then connecting it to a sump. This system is a band-aid trust me....

The way the water gets through the foundation if you have a concrete block foundation is they drill the mortar joints every 2-3 feet and water is allowed to come through the wall to the interior floor tile. The problem is that these openings will (WILL) fill with debris and as they do, your tile now becomes worthless!!!!!

I had two issues, my tile did not handle the amount of water that we would receive from my adjoining property's as they all sit higher and the other was because of the age of the house, they thought it was OK to backfill with clay. (Its not okay - clay acts like a sponge, it swells when it absorbs water and does not allow it to permeate at a rate similar to sand or other granular fill) So this winter, we had a local construction company dig up that side of the house, rub-r-wall the exterior side of the basement wall, and then install a new perimeter drain to the existing clay french drain that a lot of older houses have, and backfill with rock and then backdirt above. It was the best money we've spent on this house in my mind. This spring with our crazy amount of rain and snow melt, my sump has been discharging everyday since snowmelt and at times has been discharging 10-15 gallons of water every 3-4 minutes. The cost for this work was right around 5,000 but, my basement will be dry for the rest of my life barring a sump failure and i can finally finish off the basement and get that 80-100" projection screen!!!!

The sump itself didnt look that difficult to install, about 18-24 diameter hole and then hand dig down about 3 feet. Insert the sump casing and pour the remainder of the dug hole and floor slab and your done. If your in a clayed area, you will wish you'd hired it out.

Good Luck!!!!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post

Good Luck!!!!
    yeah, sounds like I'll need it.

I would look to put the pit in the same section of the basement as the water came in this spring. We've never had any water before and the problem came when we backed up our sanitary sewer line to the backflow preventer balls and that outer tile I was talking about was still discharging to the sanitary line ... suddenly that water had no where to go and wa-lah 4 " of water everywhere.

I've just accomplished replacing my sewer line with cast (was orangeberg) and found that outdoor tile.

So I'm hoping the major problem is fixed and the basement won't leak as all the years before ... but I would like to finish it off and would like a backup plan (the sump).

Is there anyway to tie that outside line to an inside sump pit & pump? Seems impossible, but I'm open to ideas.

I'm thinking best case scenerio, they filled some rock beneath my floor that will act like a natural tile ... I really am thinking the pit isn't a big deal, but that indoor tile makes me nervous.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I've never installed one, but you reminded me of a neighbor of mine who once did it himself, and gave me a funny story, to boot.

Neighbor's name was Frankie. That's right, a guy named "Frankie", who was kind of "interesting."

One day he decided to save himself a bunch of money by diggin his own sump pit in his basement. First thing, he needs to break up a chunk of concrete big enough to dig a hole, so he gets a sledgehammer, and proceeds to break a leg when it eventually rebounds into his shin. The concrete floor remains completely untouched, of course.

He goes to the hospital, gets a cast and a couple days later he is back to work, this time with a drill, with the idea of drilling a bunch of holes through the concrete, and then to break THAT up with the sledgehammer.

Needless to say, all he manages to do, with his cast on, is to dimple the concrete a little and burn up some drill bits.

So, being an "out of the box" thinker, Frankie gets his 30-06 high powered hunting rifle out, gets up on a small ladder and proceeds to shoot 3 rounds into the spot where the dimpled concrete is. After the third round(!?!?!?!?), he starts to notice a stinging sensation in his arms, legs, chest and face, along with a ringing in his ears, combined with the fact he cannot hear too good anymore. So, it's back to the hospital with Frankie, who gets pieces of bullets, concrete and glass picked out of his hide for a couple hours.

The concrete, of course, was a little worse for the wear, but was still a-ok.

So, I'd DEFINITELY recommend against using a sledgehammer, drill bit and/or a high powered rifle for putting a sump pit in your basement....

Last edited by Phaedrus; 05-23-2008 at 10:49 AM.
    I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    So, I'd DEFINITELY recommend against using a sledgehammer, drill bit and/or a high powered rifle for putting a sump pit in your basement....
    That's almost too funny to be real.

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,995
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 36

I've never done it, but, I have helped install an extra drain pipe in a different part of a basement floor.

If you get the right kind of drill you can drill a series of holes. (not using your chordless black and decker - you'll want a hammer drill, and a large one at that) Then you'll chisel the rest out as it will double as a jackhammer. you're best bet is at a tool rental and go from there. This will take a long time though. You probably should rent a concrete saw and cut a nice square. You'll end up reshaping the circle anyways. Be forewarned though, this saw will make an absolute mess. Dust, stink, etc. It gets nasty. Make sure you wear plenty of protective equipment, especially a respirator, you don't want that dust in your lungs.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

That's almost too funny to be real.
    "Frankie" did more than that. Someday I'll need to tell the story of the Carnival b-b gun, the undending supply of b-bs and the high-pressure air source.

Frankie was a little "strange", and was doing something like this almost every week.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by C.John View Post
    Watch the vid and read the article, it tells the basics of installing a pit.
    "She rubs the lotion on her skin or else she gets the hose again."

Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    I agree with Tube1.
    Sweeeeeeet...

CF Founder
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 291
    Given: 139

I've been thinking of adding a sump pit to our basement as well. We're going to do a lot of grading work that should negate any potential issues but I'm overly cautious and will probably do the pit as a backup measure in the event enough water does get in.

That link C.John gave helps a lot, although I'm not looking forward to getting the hole made in the concrete.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    I've never done it, but, I have helped install an extra drain pipe in a different part of a basement floor.

If you get the right kind of drill you can drill a series of holes. (not using your chordless black and decker - you'll want a hammer drill, and a large one at that) Then you'll chisel the rest out as it will double as a jackhammer. you're best bet is at a tool rental and go from there. This will take a long time though. You probably should rent a concrete saw and cut a nice square. You'll end up reshaping the circle anyways. Be forewarned though, this saw will make an absolute mess. Dust, stink, etc. It gets nasty. Make sure you wear plenty of protective equipment, especially a respirator, you don't want that dust in your lungs.
    Yeah, I was thinking maybe a 24" square using a corner so I only have too make 2 cuts. Maybe hang some plastic up to keep the mess contained. There's note much of value down there anyway, after the Noah adventure earlier this year.