Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

What really happened w/ WJ's injury?

As an Ames native, ISU grad., but being out of state now (MO), and not privy to all the specifics about his injury, what exactly happened to his foot, and when? I understand that it was a stress fracture, but exactly to what bone/ tarsal/ metatarsal?

After reading all that's been going on here in the past few days (OK, not all of it, a lot of posts and topics here about WJ, too much for me to keep up on), I did read one post from a "WJ supporter's perpective" that seemed to allude to "scar tissue".
    Did he undergo surgery? If so, I was not aware of this.

Being in the medical profession, Physical Therapist, I would think if it was a stress fracture, and if he didn't require surgery, didn't damage the surrounding soft tissues and ligaments too much, just needed to rest it, regain strength, etc., he should be good to go next season (If he were able to play which seems unlikely now).

Anybody know exactly what his injury was and his prognosis?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 7

Re: What really happened w/ WJ's injury?

It wasn't actually a stress fracture, it was a bone bruise, as originally diagnosed.

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by cyismydog View Post
    It wasn't actually a stress fracture, it was a bone bruise, as originally diagnosed.
    I believe it was in April that they found a hairline fracture (or something similar) on the ankle that they previously hadn't been able to see on medical tests/scans due to the bone bruise.

Walk On
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 365
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Ok, I found the answer to two of my questions by reading the DM Reg. article in May. It said he injured it by stepping on another guys foot in practice, in Oct. Then he had surgery "April 30 to insert a screw into his ankle to bring the fracture together".

Anybody in the medical profession know exactly where this fracture was? Kind of sounds like the talocrural joint or the distal tib-fib. (???). Just curious. And what is his prognosis for a full recovery?

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 315

Last prognosis was 4-6 weeks for a full recovery. The fracture had apparently been masked on scans by the bruise, which caused inflammation. It wasn't until the inflammation had receded that they were able to detect the fracture. Not an MD here...hope that makes some sense to those who are.

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 1

This link somewhat explains it. It is Rick Brown's blog in the Register....

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/app...esregister.com

Here is the jist of it in case this link doesn't work....

But McDermott went to bat for Miller and Iowa State's medical staff during his news conference. McDermott read from a sheet that had 23 entries over a seven-month period.

The sheet had three categories — date, action and interventon.

The first one, dated Nov. 6, 2007, read:

Action - Injury occurs

Intervention - Removed from play and issued crutches.

What follows is a long list of X-rays, MRIs and CAT scans on Johnson's left foot. Doctors diagnosed the injury as a bone bruise. X-rays showed nothing more. Finally, a MRI taken April 25 showed a chondral defect, which is essentially a line. An MRI reads gray. A chondral defect reads a different shade of gray, Miller said.

So slight the fracture that there was no separation. It was repaired with one small screw.

Miller was anxious to start the rehab process with Johnson. Six weeks, and he'd be back like new if there were no complications.

But there were complications. Johnson left town and decided not to return. The final entry on Johnson's medical reads as follows:

Date - 5/19/08

Action - No show

Intervention - Quit team

Walk On
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thx for that link, C!
    Well, I'm glad some of this appears to be settling down. Clone fans are talking about other things, new recruits, etc. I'm still interested in finding out more about this WJ story as the facts/ opinions come in. That's why I like this site so much.

It seems to me that Vic Miller (I'm assuming he is the head Trainer, is that correct?) had the player's best interest in mind, Wes' rehab and full recovery. And now he is unable to oversee this and assure this gets done. Wes had the finest medical care (he may not think this, and that is understandable) at his disposal. Hopefully he gets the advice and rehab he needs wherever he's at. From what I can read into it, He's a good kid/person, just a bad situation and perhaps bad advice that he's been listening to.

I can't help but think that his ankle injury, and how it was handled, soured him to the present coaching staff and his loyalty to ISU. I never heard of any rumors or allegations of his "unhappyness" his freshman year when he was sailing smoothly on two good wheels, although I could be wrong. I'm still waiting for his side of the story, which we may never get completely.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This is actually something I've been wondering about since Gmac's presser. Prior to that I had thought it was a fracture that just never showed up prior to that because of a bone bruise. The impression I got from the presser was that they would have found the fracture if it had been there earlier, so it was just a bone bruise during the season and the fracture would have had to have been later. I'm still not sure which is correct. I also find it interesting that they felt the need to put a screw in if it was just a tiny "line." Line sounds like fracture to me.

Seneca Wallace.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,338
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 5

If he had a fracture during the season wouldn't it have tried to heal during that time? Since they found the fracture so long after the season ended would that mean the fracture, since it hadn't been healing, was more recent than the season? Or do "lines" (hairline fractureS?) normally take a long time to heal?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

In some cases, hairline is worse than a complete fracture. I don't know about this case, but I know that in some ways it'll heal better and faster if it's completely fractured.

Walk On
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    This is actually something I've been wondering about since Gmac's presser. Prior to that I had thought it was a fracture that just never showed up prior to that because of a bone bruise. The impression I got from the presser was that they would have found the fracture if it had been there earlier, so it was just a bone bruise during the season and the fracture would have had to have been later. I'm still not sure which is correct. I also find it interesting that they felt the need to put a screw in if it was just a tiny "line." Line sounds like fracture to me.
    Interesting supposition...I still think it would be helpful, if someone in the know would tell us exactly where the fracture was. The "ankle/foot" has 7 tarsal bones, 5 metatarsal bones, (I won't count the "toes" or phalanges), and the talo-crural joint, which comprises the distal tibia and fibula and one of the tarsal bones, the talus.

Not that it "really" matters but it would help the anally-retentive medical folks, like me.

I don't think we'll ever know if the fracture occurred at first, or developed later during the season, but that is an interesting question. Based on what I've heard, the original "bone bruise" was likely the hairline fracture that just wasn't picked up by imagery, and it didn't "develope" into a hairline fracture later (IMO). As far as needing a screw for fixating the hairline fracture, my guess is the fracture was in the talocrural joint; probably the screw inserted into the distal tibia or fibula to insure the the ankle joint doesn't spread or become malaligned later.

Walk On
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    In some cases, hairline is worse than a complete fracture. I don't know about this case, but I know that in some ways it'll heal better and faster if it's completely fractured.
    Sorry, but for the most part, I couldn't agree w/ that. Yes, sometimes a quick break in a bone, if it can be realigned and heal properly, may be better than severe ligament damage or sprain, as the ligaments cannot so easily be repaired. However, a hairline fx has much less chance of becoming displaced or misaligned than a regular fracture. A real fracture or severe fracture of the ankle could require extensive "open reduction and internal fixation" w/ multiple screws and plates. The prognosis, then, for a high level athlete's full recovery in his/her sport, in this weight bearing joint, would be far less promising than it appears is the case for Wes.