Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

READ what REALLY happened with WES

Here's the real deal (and I hate to do this but all of the speculation and evasive comments are killing me).. First of all anyone who knows Wes knows he is a phenomenal kid.. without question. As a matter of fact you don't meet many like him. I might be biased but if you know him you know what I mean. If you know him you also know he is not one of many words. That being said, if you have any insight, all you have to do is pay attention to the details. Did you notice that Coach Mac never mentioned the conversation he and Wes had where Wes (one of little words) initiated and went in for an unscheduled meeting and flat out said to Mac, as he asked, "what’s up?" and Wes replied, "I am not Happy here." And Mac asked what is it? and Wes told him strictly, "I love the fans, I love my teammates but what’s going on between us is the problem." He sited the emotional roller coaster Coach Mac had him on regarding this injury, him playing on it or not, and the strain on their relationship because of it. He specifically said to him "last year things were totally different between us, we were close, now you don't call, you use to check on me and you barely look at me", yeah.. it sounds like what it is, a young man talking to a father figure or mentor.. or someone going through a tough time reaching out..

He went on to site examples of this roller coaster, like coach Mac in the media speaking of Wes's injury and its affect on his production (really positive), but then in private and when Mac asked Wes could he play on it, and Wes told him no, he expressed anger and frustration and after the Nebraska loss he came into the locker room in front of the team, red faced and told Wes that he owed his teammates (who I know Wes loves) an apology for not playing and that it was his fault. There is nothing to discuss about this situation because in "the phone conversation" where Mac was contacted by Wes’s brother and brother-in-law, Coach Mac out right apologized and admitted he was wrong for that and that he was sorry. Now this is a kid trying to deal with an injury.. He wants to play, he wants the approval of his coach, and he gets this thrown at him after such support in the media?.. and in front of the guys he is supposed to lead?

The next situation consisted of the same dynamic where he called Wes soft because of how he was dealing with the injury and that they needed him. This went on throughout this season. And I am not done.. (I wish I was). In this Wesley initiated meeting with Coach Mac with nearly 6-7 games left, Coach began to apologize and tell Wes (a kid) that there was a lot of pressure on him from the boosters and that he handled it wrong. Now that is totally putting the burden of your job, your pay, the expectations for you, and that pressure on a kid!! Although I personally was uneasy about the content of this meeting, I or should I say, we, were overjoyed with the fact that Wes felt so relieved and excited that with his type of personality he had initiated and gotten a chance to vent his frustrations and tell how he felt about the breakdown in their "relationship".

Now you notice Mac never brought this up until the writer specifically asked about this specific meeting. In the "conversation" with Coach Mac being notified of Wesley leaving, coach was asked, "did you have any idea at that point in the season that Wes was unhappy. He answered "No." So it was replied, then why should it be so striking that you have no idea now that Wes is as unhappy as he is? Should that mean Wesley didn't do his part? Is it because he signed up for class, or he told you he was O.K.? Come on, if my friend, let alone my nephew has a problem there is no way they can cover something that severe up from me no matter what they did. The fact of the matter is, after that meeting and Wes's optimism, he soon called back a couple of days later reporting that things were the same again, where it was as if Mac resented him for not being able to play to full capacity, saying things to him in front of the team like, "we're better without you".. yeah he said that to Wes on a couple occasions in front of the team.. Now none of these words for me as an adult are completely tragic but for a kid, it was very difficult to convince Wes to focus on the game and focus on staying in the gym getting his shots, and his class work. Even then Wes did not decide he wanted to transfer, but he straight up said I don't trust him (Mac). After that weak apology and no change in behavior? You would think if Wes was the face of your program you would do something to secure him.

Through the injury and season Coach Mac never called Wes's brother or mom regarding the injury until it was time to do surgery. I know a little about medicine, and what is a "hairline crack" or a "small line"? it is a freaking fracture. The kid played all year with an injury, was told to apologize to his team, your soft, your weak, only to find out he needed surgery and had tons of scar tissue in his foot? Come on.. And neither Wes nor his brother pointed the finger at the doctor because he is proven and did his job to the best of his ability. Coach Mac did a good job deflecting those comments about the injury to a noble defense of the doctor, but the doctor was never the focus of the indictment. It was all directed at Mac with the up and down and blatant attack on Wes’s character with the injury, only to find out he needed or it was recommended he have surgery. That was the issue with “how the injury was handled”, not the treatment Wes received. Yes, tell the media we are thinking of red shirting him, then in private when you know no kid wants to sit out tell him the doctor says a bone bruise can’t get any worse and you’re soft.

Now on the other hand.. Wes loved and still loves the cyclone family and if asked he never wanted it to end, but out of his own mouth and mind he did not trust coach Mac and how he would handle adversity, injury and the rest of his basketball career. I personally would like to believe that Wes is strong enough to have succeeded in spite of, but if Wes (which I can testify to) felt beat up, miserable, unhappy, losing the love and drive to play the game he loves, who are we to tell him to do otherwise. Mac said "I refuse to believe that our relationship went sour like Wes said." And I say, if you would have believed him when he came to you the first time during the season we might not be going through this hell now.

And one more thing without calling out names, (because I understand what every player in this "game" has to do and I'm not angry with them).. some of his teammates knew what was going on without question.. I sat with Wes while a few called him mentioning their thoughts of transferring and calling to find out if Wes was leaving or not. And I have no reason to lie about that. And I am not saying this for juice to the story but to give you the deal. Pete, was so genuine in his interview. I actually felt a knot in my stomach because his emotion touched me and he was deeply affected and it radiated from him and I appreciate his heart in this. It was all over his face. It was obvious he had no clue. The others sounded like Kobe Bryant talking about being a team player. No emotion just words.. Watch it again.. Like I said I'm not mad at these guys but I'm saying this for you guys. These players, more so than Pete spent intimate time with Wes, even lived with him. I guarantee they knew. Come on.. This is the truth.

And as far as the coaches.. they knew Wes wasn't happy and it showed. I came to many games Wes's fresh and soph year and they would greet us with a smile and great conversation. As the year progressed that ended and things became awkward (some coaches worse than others). I got the sense that they felt like Wes's family was telling him not to play on the injury and they wanted him to play.. and just a messed up situation... but anyways.. They may not have known he was leaving, but they are only surprised because being in Aimes with the fans and the whole situation is a no brainer for an athlete, and Mac's ego would not let him believe that his pride and self centered behavior could over shadow the rest of the magic around that campus and cause a player to leave a great place. And that’s what happened and that’s what will continue to happen..

And as far as Coach Pri... Coach Mac emphatically stated that Pri had nothing to do with this (which I can testify to), but he also emphatically stated that Coach Pri knew nothing about this and was shocked as well. The players and coaches joked with Wes that Coach Pri was his father.. I do not believe that he was that far in the dark on this one. I can't say for sure but that is practically impossible they were extremely close. Mac’s statement of extreme surety on this is even more evidence of exaggeration and political speak.

Wes is a very quiet, reserve kid and if any of you have that personality type you know that the other side of that type is once you have crossed them there is no turning back. That's why this is having this type of impact, because who knew that Wes could make this type of decision that would **** everybody else off but give him relief, when the guy everyone knows Wesley to be is very accommodating and easy going. Well I say more power to you Wes because there's nothing wrong with that.

Wes didn't want his parents there because his parents were very emotional about the situation and how coach treated Wes and he didn't want that type of situation. Imagine a mother whose son is a nice guy like Wes.. you can imagine the rest..

Well I'm done being Billy Madison.. sorry but I had to say something and when I started I couldn't stop.

Oh yeah one more thing.. ok two... If it was not for coach Pri, Wesley would not have been at Iowa State and so this talk about Mac giving him a chance when no one else wanted him is a crock.. Once Wes moved to Detroit (late in the year and began to play with other top prospects other top schools (MINN, Mich State, Illinois, Purdue, A&M, contacted his brother for Wes.., but because if Pri and their past relationship Iowa State hit the jackpot.. and so did Wes… but that bothered me.

And the last thing, there's no way Wes would get paid or accept money, he might take sneakers lol.. that's actually funny. You guys watch to much T.V. lol. I will not respond just read and make of this what you want. I am not trying to argue with the cyclones you guys are a gang bigger than the crips, but I figured you all deserved a little more info.

Ms Cleo

Last edited by Jeremy; 05-22-2008 at 07:12 AM.

Walk On
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: READ what REALLY happened with WES

Thank you for the details.

Here is my opinion. Wes left the realm of being a poor little kid and entered the realm of being treated like an adult when he signed his scholarship extension twleve days before leaving the program.

He will not make or break a basketball team because as you well know the game is played with 5 not 1.

I do not wish bad things for Wes, but this is something that needs to be handled legally. If there are teams or money behind this before the signing of his scholarship, that is something that must be dealt with. All I know is after a conversation with a close personal friend of JP's, I hope Wes can afford a year of tuition on his own.

If you dont bleed Cardinal and Gold you don't deserve to play here.

In conclusion Wes may be a nice guy. However, one would wonder about his character he can really be by carrying on without warning until long after the recruiting process, and lying to teammates and coaches.

I thank you for the info Ms. Cleo but you may be a bit biased.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Wow. So, you took all of the theories of nearly every post (generally all are against Coach) in the past three days and consolidated them into one, nearly impossible to read paragraph.

There's one thing though. If he was sure about wanting to get away since he didn't trust Coach, why would he have signed any papers? Even the lease? Or bother to get a job lined up?

"Seven minutes to glory."

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 100

Wes, give it up.

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I agree, that was hard to read. From what I gather it is an account from Wes's side of the story. Granted there are two sides and both are going to be biased. As for some of the situations you mentioned...

Being called out in front of the team... Who hasn't? He is (was) the leader of the team. Of course Mac is going to put pressure on him to deliver. Right or wrong, that is probably his (and alot of others) coaching style.

As for the injury. Mac can only operate with what the doctors provided him with. No doubt it had to hurt, but honestly, if you can only see a contusion on the foot you have to think an athlete should be able to play through that kind of pain.

You mentioned Mac put pressure on Wes from the standpoint of his own job. If he had any idea Wes had a fracture wouldn't that be detrimental to Mac's job? Risk losing your best player to more serious complications?

Finally, Mac is the one who makes the decision to hand out scholarships. Coach Pri doesn't. So yes, Mac DID take a chance on Wes.

You have to understand that farmost we are Cyclone fans. Personally, I hope the best for him, but this story stinks of betrayal. I had bad relationships with coaches in high school but I always stuck it out. As much as you make Mac sound like the monster (and if you are related to Wes, you should), you have to realize Wes up and left, Mac chased him while Wes ignored him. Which one does it sound like was willing to improve the relationship?

Sorry if I didn't cover all points, it was extremely difficult to read. As a sidenote I want you to realize that the people you are talking to are mostly from Iowa, please do not ever compare us to the Crips.

Goodluck to your nephew, thanks for the years he gave, but he is no longer a Cyclone, so don't expect us to feel sympathy. Even when its rough, we stick to our team.

Kinnick smells like syrup.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by nb06 View Post
    Thank you for the details.

Here is my opinion. Wes left the realm of being a poor little kid and entered the realm of being treated like an adult when he signed his scholarship extension twleve days before leaving the program.

He will not make or break a basketball team because as you well know the game is played with 5 not 1.

I do not wish bad things for Wes, but this is something that needs to be handled legally. If there are teams or money behind this before the signing of his scholarship, that is something that must be dealt with. All I know is after a conversation with a close personal friend of JP's, I hope Wes can afford a year of tuition on his own.

If you dont bleed Cardinal and Gold you don't deserve to play here.

In conclusion Wes may be a nice guy. However, one would wonder about his character he can really be by carrying on without warning until long after the recruiting process, and lying to teammates and coaches.

I thank you for the info Ms. Cleo but you may be a bit biased.
    I kind of agree here although perhaps not as harshly. I appreciate the detailed information and I also believe you believe every word of it. However, stories are always told from the perspective of the storyteller. People hear what they want to hear. Over time they form opinions, sprinkle in some emotion, a little exaggeration, etc. It is still based in the truth but is far from objective.

I also believe Mac in that he probably didn't think things were as bad as Wes felt they were. Lord knows relationships can be funny that way. You think something is over/mended whatever, only to find out later that the other person never got over it, it festered, etc. In my life that's called marriage. :)

As someone on here has pointed out already the actual truth probably lies somewhere in between what Mac will publicly say at a presser and what you just typed out.

Regardless, it seems you agree with Mac's final statement: "If Wes didn't get injured this year, we wouldn't be sitting here." That part at least seems to coincide with what you said.

I truly appreciate believe Wes is a good kid, has a good character, etc. But, I also believe this was botched. There are too many things left to answer for. Why the apartment lease? Why the summer class? Why the May 28th dr's appt.? Why the May 6th scholarship signature? It just doesn't make sense.

In the end we can all probably agree with this - ISU will go on without Wes. Mac was right about the statement that this program is bigger than anyone person. And you know what - if Mac doesn't succeed here and continues to have issues with player retention - the program will go on without him too.

In my own mind, I'm not excusing Mac in all this. I believe he mishandled the situation with Wes (as corrobarated by your comments.) I think he will learn from it as well. Obviously, in his mind things were better between them than reality. Also, (assuming your locker room stories are true) he obviously believed his past transgressions had been forgiven and he moved on although Wes (and his family) still held a grudge.

I will always love Wes for what he gave us with his time at ISU. I love watching him play. But, I am hurt a little as a fan because I expect commitment. Call it my mid-western values but my daddy raised me that if you commit to something you follow through and finish it unless there is an impropriety, illegal, unethical activities involved. Things get tough, you have difficult relationships, etc. My daddy would say cowboy up/suck it up, work through it, etc. It builds character. Unfortunately, running from it, quitting, or moving on to what appears to be greener pastures does not. It is a life lesson that I hope Wes will learn as he matures.

I wish Wes success in the future and I truly hope he learns from this situation. Please tell Wes that there are fans around here that still do love him but we are just hurt.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I was dumb enough to look at all of your previous posts, Ms. Cleo. First off, you look an idiot (as do I for reading for your crap, but that's an issue for another day). Secondly, all you do is bash Coach. It appears that you may know Wesley since he's virtually all you talk about, but you also only started saying anything since the ATM game this winter.

IF you somehow are with knowledge with Wesley, you take on his brother's side of things.

Also, this is called breaking up gigantic chunks of information for easier digestion. It's a neat thing created a few centuries ago called the paragraph. Learn it, love it, pretend it was Wesley. I don't care just freaking use it.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Wow! Why can people so be harsh on one another? So what if someone didn't make paragraphs, big freakin deal, don't read it if you don't want to. This was a very emotional post by someone that is close to the problem and all you can do is rip on their grammar? Why not ask a question about it. Or thank them for pitching the other side. Wesley Johnson exited in a very bad way, we all get that. None of us understand why he did it and when someone tries to explain the situation we attack them for their very long paragraph. Coach Mac got a 33 minute press conference to explain himself to the fans. Wesley Johnson has shied away from the press, thank god!!! How would you like it if he came on the air and spent 33 minutes talking about how he didn't get along with Mac. What would that do to our program?

I'll start a new paragraph in case you guys couldn't keep up. 22 wrote a thread earlier about who you trust and who you don't. It was pretty clear that a lot of people trust Mac, which I actually do, but no one knows the real reason why Johnson left so quit attacking people that are trying to give us fans the answer to why he did. I'm tired of hearing from people that have no more insight than I do on what they think about the situation. I'd trade 1 very very long paragraph from Wesley's friends than a 1000 from uninformed fans. But nope that's not allowed.

Edit: I see some people are actually reading the thread. Take note, this is directed to the first few posters, not everyone in General.

Last edited by CTAClone; 05-22-2008 at 02:18 AM.
    "If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 42

Thanks for the insight Ms Cleo. I read it and feel like there's some truth to what you're saying.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CTAClone View Post
    Wow! Why can people so be harsh on one another? So what if someone didn't make paragraphs, big freakin deal, don't read it if you don't want to. This was a very emotional post by someone that is close to the problem and all you can do is rip on their grammar? Why not ask a question about it. Or thank them for pitching the other side. Wesley Johnson exited in a very bad way, we all get that. None of us understand why he did it and when someone tries to explain the situation we attack them for their very long paragraph. Coach Mac got a 33 minute press conference to explain himself to the fans. Wesley Johnson has shied away from the press, thank god!!! How would you like it if he came on the air and spent 33 minutes talking about how he didn't get along with Mac. What would that do to our program?

I'll start a new paragraph in case you guys couldn't keep up. 22 wrote a thread earlier about who you trust and who you don't. It was pretty clear that a lot of people trust Mac, which I actually do, but no one knows the real reason why Johnson left so quit attacking people that are trying to give us fans the answer to why he did. I'm tired of hearing from people that have no more insight than I do on what they think about the situation. I'd trade 1 very very long paragraph from Wesley's friends than a 1000 from uninformed fans. But nope that's not allowed.
    I am as well. The thing for me is, this poster has tended to bash Coach with each post, and/or love the players. Based on that, I'm not sure it's someone related to Wes. They said "like my nephew" in a manner of comparison, not actually saying they were Wes' aunt/uncle. Personally, I think this could be a Troll more than an "insider" on the situation.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post
    I am as well. The thing for me is, this poster has tended to bash Coach with each post, and/or love the players. Based on that, I'm not sure it's someone related to Wes. They said "like my nephew" in a manner of comparison, not actually saying they were Wes' aunt/uncle. Personally, I think this could be a Troll more than an "insider" on the situation.
    Um...I know it could be painful but you might re-read the post. The poster clearly states "my nephew" not...."like my nephew."

And I'm sorry but there seems to be lots of accurate information in there (like references to him moving to Detroit, etc.) And that's alot of da mn typing for someone trying to be an imposter.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post
    Personally, I think this could be a Troll more than an "insider" on the situation.
    That could be true but I've already read all the other posts that are mostly anti-Johnson threads and enjoy hearing the "other" arguments.

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Response to ISUboi12's post below...
    Quote Originally Posted by ISUboi12 View Post
    I agree, that was hard to read. From what I gather it is an account from Wes's side of the story. Granted there are two sides and both are going to be biased.
    Both sides should be expected to be biased. But Mac didn't make Wes out to be a monster. He repeatedly stated how he thought Wes was a great kid and has ALWAYS had nice things to say about Wes, always. Those on Wes's side are making Mac out to be the worst/hardest coach to play for and a guy that doesn't know how to handle relationships with players.

Being called out in front of the team... Who hasn't? He is (was) the leader of the team. Of course Mac is going to put pressure on him to deliver. Right or wrong, that is probably his (and alot of others) coaching style.
    Exactly. Well said.

As for the injury. Mac can only operate with what the doctors provided him with. No doubt it had to hurt, but honestly, if you can only see a contusion on the foot you have to think an athlete should be able to play through that kind of pain.
    I'll agree with that.

You mentioned Mac put pressure on Wes from the standpoint of his own job. If he had any idea Wes had a fracture wouldn't that be detrimental to Mac's job? Risk losing your best player to more serious complications?
    I refuse to believe Mac put any pressure on Wes from the standpoint of his own job. Mac has never been that type of guy. Something was miscommunicated here.

Finally, Mac is the one who makes the decision to hand out scholarships. Coach Pri doesn't. So yes, Mac DID take a chance on Wes.
    Exactly. Head coaches hire assistants and recruiting coordinators because it can't be done alone. Kids come to play for the HEAD COACH.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ArathornClone View Post
    Um...I know it could be painful but you might re-read the post. The poster clearly states "my nephew" not...."like my nephew."

And I'm sorry but there seems to be lots of accurate information in there (like references to him moving to Detroit, etc.) And that's alot of da mn typing for someone trying to be an imposter.
    I took that quote, "a kid, let alone my nephew" to mean something on par with "let alone my own son" from someone that doesn't have one (as in, when people on this board say 'I would never allow X to happen to my son/daughter'). If I'm wrong, my apologies. I will never believe that one of these two stories is more right than the other, and I question the motives of everyone that posts on either side, whether I publicly question it or not.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CTAClone View Post
    That could be true but I've already read all the other posts that are mostly anti-Johnson threads and enjoy hearing the "other" arguments.
    As do I. I also honestly just realized that my latest posts on the subject have all been "anti" Wesley's story. I just feel to state my opinion when it hasn't been posted 70 times already, and most of those for coach have seemed to be done whil I was working.