SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 520
    Given: 341

Chicago Tribune carries story that says Wes to Transfer

Wesley Johnson to transfer -- -- chicagotribune.com
    Wesley Johnson to transfer

By LUKE MEREDITH | AP Sports Writer 12:07 AM CDT, May 20, 2008 AMES, Iowa - Last summer, Iowa State coach Greg McDermott called forward Wesley Johnson the face of the program. But Johnson shocked McDermott over the weekend by telling him he intends to transfer, dealing a serious blow to McDermott's efforts to rebuild.

A member of Johnson's family told McDermott of his plans last Thursday night, according to school officials. McDermott flew to Johnson's hometown in Corsicana, Texas on Saturday to discuss the matter. McDermott says he explained to Johnson how challenging a mid-career transfer can be, but Johnson had already made up his mind.

Johnson averaged 12.4 points per game as a sophomore in 2007-08, tied for best on the team. Johnson will have to sit out next season per NCAA transfer rules.

He'll have two years of eligibility left, and there is little doubt that coaches around the country will be lining up to vie for his services.

"It's a setback for our team," McDermott said in statement released by the school on Monday. "I wish Wesley well, but my energies will be directed to the players committed to Cyclone basketball."

The loss of Johnson, one of the Big 12's most talented young players, is a setback for the Cyclones.

Johnson was lightly recruited out of high school but he blossomed at Iowa State, earning Big 12 All-Freshman team honors in 2006-07. He battled through a stress fracture in his foot last season that severely limited his mobility and athleticism, but he was still one of Iowa State's top scoring threats.

Iowa State would have built their team around a healthy Johnson and forward Craig Brackins next season. Those plans are now out the window.

"He certainly was a great fit for our program during his healthy freshman season and there's no doubt the injury this year affected him a great deal physically," McDermott said.

Iowa State will have just two starters -- Brackins and point guard Bryan Petersen -- back from last year's 14-18 team. The Cyclones will also return guards Diante Garrett, Carlos Boozer, Cameron Lee, Sean Haluska and Lucca Staiger and forward Alex Thompson.

McDermott has signed seven new players for next season. Johnson's absence increases the likelihood that some of those players will be pressed into action immediately.

This isn't the first time McDermott has had to deal with player turnover. The program lost a number of talented youngsters, including Shawn Taggart, Tasheed Carr and Farnold Degand, shortly before McDermott took over in 2006. Guard Mike Taylor was booted off the team last summer after a series of legal issues, and guards Dodie Dunson and Corey McIntosh left the program before the start of last season.

Forward Clayton Vette and guard Marcus Brister left the program during the 2007-08 season, and reserve Cory Johnson recently announced that he's transferring to Valparaiso.

That instability has been a major reason why McDermott hasn't put together a winning season at Iowa State after leading Northern Iowa to three straight NCAA tournament appearances.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Chicago Tribune carries story that says Wes to Transfer

Iowa State's Johnson says unhappiness prompted transfer | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
    Houston Chronicle

May 20, 2008, 1:42PM
    Iowa State's Johnson says unhappiness prompted transfer

Associated Press

DES MOINES, Iowa — Former Iowa State forward Wesley Johnson said he decided to transfer several months ago, citing his relationship with coach Greg McDermott as a major reason why he's leaving the program.
    Johnson told McDermott over the weekend that he will transfer, a move that stunned the coach. Johnson says he tried to clear the air with McDermott during the middle of last season, but that things weren't the same after that.
    "It was a hard decision to make," Johnson said about transferring. "Throughout the season I was unhappy."
    McDermott declined to respond to Johnson's comments. He has scheduled a press conference for Wednesday.
    Johnson tied for the team lead with 12.4 points a game last season, while playing with a stress fracture in his foot. Johnson says Iowa State's handling of his foot injury did not factor into his decision.
    Johnson suffered what was thought to be a bone bruise in his left ankle during preseason practice. He only missed five games last season, but his mobility and athleticism were severely limited.
    Johnson had numerous MRIs and CAT scans of the injured area, but the bleeding inside Johnson's foot made X-rays difficult to read. Doctors discovered the stress fracture in Johnson's foot during an MRI in late April after the swelling had subsided. He had surgery five days later.
    "I understand totally why they couldn't find it," Johnson said of the stress fracture.
    Johnson said he has not talked to any other schools.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Keeler Strikes

Keeler: Cyclones are unlucky, but to some it feels like it's something else | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

Keeler: Cyclones are unlucky, but to some it feels like it's something else

By SEAN KEELER • Register columnist •
    May 20, 2008
    • Wesley Johnson or no Wesley Johnson, Greg McDermott is still Gary Thompson's guy.

"I think from my standpoint, as a basketball person, I think he's just been hamstrung by the situation," Thompson, the former Iowa State all-American and longtime broadcaster, said of the Cyclones' coach after hearing Monday that Johnson intended to transfer out of Ames. "No, I haven't lost any faith in Mac from a coaching standpoint at all. He's got to weather through two years of things that are really not his fault.

"With (former coach Wayne) Morgan leaving and (Morgan's players) all leaving the program and left him with (nothing). People who know anything about players - you've got to have players."

The problem with the Cyclones of late hasn't been finding players, it's been keeping them. Forward Cory Johnson left the program for Valparaiso. Clayton Vette, a former Iowa Mr. Basketball, and Marcus Brister also opted out.

Dodie Dunson and Corey McIntosh left last year of their own accord. Mike Taylor, a third-team all-Big 12 Conference guard, got himself kicked off the squad. Which means in two consecutive offseasons, McDermott has somehow lost his best perimeter scorer. Thus, the hand-wringing.
    "One person or one player does not make a team," Thompson advised.

That said, he also acknowledges the shock at losing a player of Johnson's pedigree. This was a 6-foot-7 swing player who averaged 12.3 points as a freshman and 12.4 as a sophomore while playing with a stress fracture in his left ankle. He was just starting to scratch the surface.

But he was also playing in pain, and a family member intimated that Iowa State's handling of the injury - Johnson didn't have surgery until April 30 - was one reason he decided to leave.
    The other was his relationship with McDermott.

"Relationships are two-fold," explained Craig Carroll, Johnson's older brother. "That's not to say anything bad about coach McDermott, (but) the way the relationship was playing out, it just put a strain on things and it just made us all a little bit uneasy."

When pressed, Carroll declined to go into details. McDermott deferred comment until Wednesday. So for now, that's all we've got.

Oh, and this: Carroll said the move had nothing to do with former Cyclone assistant Jean Prioleau, who left Iowa State last month to join the staff at Texas Christian.
    Moreover, Tony Johnson, founder and director of the Dallas Mustangs, Wesley's AAU team, said he'd talked to Prioleau on Monday afternoon and that "(Jean) said he didn't know (anything) about it.

"I don't think (Wesley) is going to go to TCU. I don't know. I haven't talked to him, so I can't say anything."

What more can you say, except that the timing couldn't possibly be worse?

McDermott is going into his third season in Ames. A program that had been running in place for 24 months was earmarked to start moving forward. Until this.
    At Wayne State, McDermott's Wildcats went from 12-15 in Year 2 to 21-7 in Year 3. At Northern Iowa, McDermott's Panthers went from 11-17 in Year 2 to 21-10 in Year 3 and an NCAA Tournament berth.

"You were looking forward to an uptick," Thompson said. "I guess you can just call it bad luck."

Maybe. Some Cyclone fans might call it something else: A pattern.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Johnson transfer shocks ISU, McDermott | GazetteOnline.com - Cedar Rapids, Iowa City

Gazette Weighs in:

May 19. 2008 6:44PM

Johnson transfer shocks ISU, McDermott

Eric Petersen
    For The Gazette

AMES — Wesley Johnson has mysteriously left the Iowa State men’s basketball program and will transfer to another school.

According to a release from ISU athletic officials, Coach Greg McDermott said he was informed Thursday by a member of Johnson’s family. There was no explanation given.

Johnson, who played two seasons for the Cyclones, has not spoken with members of the coaching staff or teammates since packing up his apartment May 10 heading for his hometown of Corsicana, Texas.

“Shocked would be the best way to describe my reaction,” McDermott said in the school’s statement. “I flew Saturday morning to his hometown to talk, but his mind was made up.”

Johnson missed five games and played all of last season with an injured left foot thought to be a deep bone bruise.

He had surgery April 30 to correct what ultimately was diagnosed as a stress fracture. Afterward, Johnson gave every indication he was preparing himself for his junior season at Iowa State.

“The surgery went well and Wesley was focused on doing the things he needed to do for full recovery,” McDermott said. “It’s a setback for our team. I wish Wesley well, but my energies will be directed to the players committed to Cyclone basketball.”

Johnson averaged 12.3 points and 7.9 rebounds while being named to the Big 12’s all-freshman team. He averaged 12.4 points as a sophomore while fighting through the injury.

His versatility was one of greatest attributes. At 6-foot-7 with good ball-handling skills, he could play both guard and forward.

“He certainly was a great fit for our program during his healthy freshman season and there’s no doubt the injury this year affected him a great deal physically,” McDermott said. “During our visit in Texas, I outlined all of Wesley’s options and the challenges of a mid-career transfer. A transfer is a lot more complicated than just switching schools. I want Wesley to fully understand how a transfer can impact his development for a professional career.”

Johnson did not tell McDermott where he plans on continuing his basketball career.
    ISU’s roster has changed dramatically in McDermott’s two seasons as head coach. Eight players have left the program during that span.

McDermott added eight new players to the roster at the start of last season and will have six more this fall. Marquette transfer Scott Christopherson has joined the Cyclones, but will not be eligible to play until the 2009-10 season.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

ISU men's basketball: Johnson was unhappy with coach | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

Rick Brown Rag Update

ISU men's basketball: Johnson was unhappy with coach

By RICK BROWN • rbrown@dmreg.com • May 21, 2008
    • Wesley Johnson and Greg McDermott met last Saturday, man to man, at a restaurant in Corsicana, Texas.

"I listened to what he had to say," Johnson said. "I knew it sounded good for me to come back. But I had my mind made up."

Two days earlier, Johnson's brother had informed McDermott, Iowa State's basketball coach, that Johnson would transfer.

A 6-foot-7 sophomore and one of the Cyclones' top players, Johnson said Tuesday that his relationship with McDermott is at the heart of his decision to leave.

"I think it was probably in the middle of the season that I came to him and told him I wasn't happy with our relationship," Johnson said. "We talked about it. After that, it just wasn't the same."

McDermott, reached at Big 12 Conference meetings Tuesday in Colorado Springs, Colo., declined to respond to Johnson's comments. McDermott has a news conference scheduled in Ames at 4 p.m. today.

Johnson said he made up his mind several months ago to transfer.
    "I waited to say anything because I wanted to finish up my school and everything," Johnson said. "I was just making sure this is what I wanted to do. And I wanted to talk to my family. They told me it was my decision, and they were behind me."

Johnson, who packed up and left May 10 without telling anyone, said he kept his decision secret because he wanted to make sure he was doing the right thing.

"I tried to give myself a pep talk, and talk myself out of it," Johnson said. "But it wasn't working."
    Asked for specifics behind the eroding player-coach relationship, Johnson didn't give clear-cut examples.

"He'd send me mixed messages," Johnson said. "I didn't know if I was coming or going on the court."

Johnson played the entire 2007-08 season with a stress fracture in his left ankle. The injury was diagnosed as a bone bruise, and numerous MRIs and CAT scans showed no fracture because blood from the injury made the X-rays cloudy.

Johnson's brother, Craig Carroll, had Johnson come to Michigan during spring break to have his foot examined. No fracture was found at that time.
    An MRI taken in Ames on April 25 found the fracture. Johnson had surgery April 30 and was to return to Ames to start rehabilitation on Monday.

Carroll said Monday that Iowa State's handling of Johnson's injury was another factor behind his decision to leave. Johnson said Tuesday that wasn't accurate.

"I understand totally why they couldn't find it," Johnson said of the stress fracture. "You know how parents are. They get overexcited about stuff when they see their baby out there hurting. They just wanted to know why."
    Internet speculation has Kentucky as one of the schools Johnson is considering.

"When I heard that, it blew my mind,'' Johnson said. "I haven't talked to anybody. I don't know where I'm going. I honestly don't."

Johnson said he's talked to teammates Craig Brackins, Jiri Hubalek, Rahshon Clark, Charles Boozer and Alex Thompson since his decision to leave went public.

"They told me they were still going to be my friend," Johnson said. "I told them I was going to miss them."
    Johnson said he enjoyed playing for Iowa State fans.

"Tell them I apologize that it had to go down like this," Johnson said. "Thank you for everything. I'm sorry."

Last edited by Wesley; 05-21-2008 at 09:34 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 601
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

It's nice to get some press that makes us look so good.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0