Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

The role of the coach & staff

This whole Wes thing really has me baffled. I have a hard time believing Mac would continuously belittle Wes like jst???? posted earlier. In my experiences (Floyd/Cato & Eustachy/Fizer) if the head coach is really on you it is for motivational purposes but to that person it seems really personal. I can't even count the number of times I heard Cato or Fizer say they were quitting but it was always because of that "moment" when they were getting railed on. Obviously, they both stuck it out and they were better for it. I even felt belittled alot of the time my last year but when I look back on it, there wasn't anything personal about it even though at that time I may have thought there was. That doesn't mean I have to like being called certain things but I'm not going to let that define me.

That kind of leads me to my next point. What exactly do these players want their head coach to be? Are they looking for a friend, mentor, leader, disciplinarian, what? My idea of a coach and staff that works includes one assistant that is the good cop and relates to the players (Lenard Perry, Sam Weaver, Terry Carroll, & James Green) and one assistant that is the bad cop that really gets after guys (Terry Reed, Steve Barnes). The head coach should be the man with the final say, the CEO. He puts everybody in place when they need it; players, coaches, managers. Sometimes it might hurt some feelings with what he says or how he says it but it has to be done. He also has to be a psychologist. Coddling some guys who have fragile psyches to get them to perform while others may perform better with the constant ball busting. What I'm trying to say is there is no way for a coach to effectively treat all his players the same and I don't think he should have to. The head coaches bottom line is to win games and graduate kids. If you need some positive reinforcement go talk to the assistant that is the good cop for awhile. If that doesn't work talk to the head guy then. But try to understand where they are coming from and what they are trying to get out of you.

My final observation is that we have just gotten some players in the program over the past 5-6 years that are soft and that is something I really hate to say. I'm talking soft both mentally and physically too. Obviously not everyone was/is of that mold, but there has been way too much of it. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and push through it. It is never as bad as it seems and never as good as it seems.

Alot of this is based on my experiences and I'm sure I'm biased towards those experiences but it's how I feel. When we finally get the majority of the soft guys weeded out and get guys who feel priveleged (that is exactly what it is, a privelege) to put an ISU basketball jersey on we will be just fine. I still like the core of our team in the coming years. Garrett, Staiger and Brackins are all good enough to build around and if some of these new pieces fill in well which I think they will we should be just fine in the near future. I'm still supporting Mac, ISU, and the squashing of hoks.

Rookie
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 683
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 120

Re: The role of the coach & staff

I thought it was interesting that he (Wes) refered to himself in the DM Rag article as the 'baby' in the family (speaking for his parents). I am not sure if I was a 20 year-old D-1 basketball player if that is what I would call myself.

....Just one guys observation!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 614
    Given: 389

What year will that be? Actually, I think the kids of today would rather have the coach as a friend rather than thou shalt do this. Times are changing. Bobby Knight is a dinosaur.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 137

Great post. Its nice to have a former player shed some light on this.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 980
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 10

This sort of method seems to be working with Chiz

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 9

Thanks for the insight Tony, I always like a player's perspective, even if they don't know the current staff/players. Pending more information, I agree with you. I'm just hoping GMAC has the "good cop bad cop" system setup correctly. Maybe we don't have enough good cops?

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

some basketball players are wimps.get rid of them so the MEN OF ISU CAN PLAY BASKETBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

doc

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by TRamp55 View Post
    My final observation is that we have just gotten some players in the program over the past 5-6 years that are soft and that is something I really hate to say. I'm talking soft both mentally and physically too. Obviously not everyone was/is of that mold, but there has been way too much of it. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and push through it. It is never as bad as it seems and never as good as it seems.
    Great overall post, thank you. I especially like the quote I bolded.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 239

I appreciate your real view with this and the fact you took the time to share a bit of your story and opinion.

Recruit
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

IMO, the mentality of football players and basketball players are very different. I look at the NBA and see a lot of players that don't seem to want to have to try very hard and they are still just fine because they have a good jumper.

In the NFL, if you take a play off, you cost your whole team and you are taken off the field.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Chizik is doing this VERY well, however he also creates a strong relationship with his guys off of the field. Chizik and his staff have done an excellent job holding on to guys hope and giving each and everyone the respect of a family member. The atmosphere at a football practice is serious, but there are many times of light-heartedness, and very much some love and passion for the players. Im not so sure McDermott is making that connection with his players anymore. It sure helps keep a smile on a kids face when he is working hard in school and sports.

Prospect
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 431
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Thanks for your insight. I trust your perspective and point of view on the Iowa State situation being a former player. I agree that Eustachy was probably extremely tough on Fizer and that helped him become a better player.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

First, I love that post. It actually has substance and thought on the subject!

Maybe I'm slow and ignorant, but who is this "former player"?

"Seven minutes to glory."

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,100
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 68

Tony Rampton...

Cyclone
    Iowa State became the Cyclones after they leveled Northwestern in 1895. As the Chicago Tribune (9/29/1895) noted:
    'Struck by a Cyclone
    It Comes from Iowa and Devastates Evanston Town'

Walk On
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

Tony, thanks for the post. It's meaningful coming from a former player like you who was not a star at ISU and had to battle for playing time. My feeling is that Mac has been scrambling for recruits since the moment he took the job. How can you find players in late April/May after the recruiting season is over? And with 0 guards returning. So he gets Taylor and McIntosh, one of whom turns out to be a bad apple and the other not very good. No wonder they were still available in April. Likewise with Dodie Dunson. Wesley turned out to be the gem of that class and that's why this hurts so much.

But the 4 initial recruits from Mac's 2nd class are still on the roster -- Brackins, Garrett, Staiger, and Boozer. Brister was recruited in the summer after Taylor was booted and Vette signed very late, only after he backed out of his Indiana State commitment due to a coaching change. Both players were after thoughts like Dunson, so is it a suprise that they left?

Having to boot Taylor and Wesley transferring are the two painful events in all of this. Truthfully, if the 4 above stay for the duration of their careers, along w/ the core of next year's class (Mann, Hamilton, Eikmeier, and Buckley) then Mack will have righted the ship. And I believe that group can win some ball games in the near future. The late signing of Vanderbeken should also help immediately.

The take away from all of this is that Mac just needs to recruit better players. And that was going to take time after the Morgan firing. Better players win more games, get better fan support, Hilton gets rocking, and they are motivated to stay at ISU. End of story.