Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Regarding Wesley's injury

I feel that I have it on pretty good authority that Wesley's fracture was something that could not have been spotted until he had a number of weeks of consecutive inactivity.

Basically, the more activity you have, the more blood there will be in the bone. Being a basketball player of course provides a lot of activity to that area.

It wasn't until Wesley totally shut down after the season was over, and they went back in and took more xrays that didn't have all of the blood in the bone, that the doctors found the stress fracture.

I might have some of the 'technical' aspects wrong there, but that is the gist. So I do think the ISU medical staff didn't do anything 'wrong' in this situation; it was a condition that wasn't visible due to the amount of blood in the bone when they took pictures of it late fall and early winter...and only became visible after Wesley shut it down.

Last edited by JonDMiller; 05-20-2008 at 09:48 AM.

Swarm & Punish
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 383

Re: Regarding Wesley's injury

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    I feel that I have it on pretty good authority that Wesley's fracture was something that could not have been spotted until he had a number of weeks of consecutive inactivity.

Basically, the more activity you have, the more blood there will be in the bone. Being a basketball player of course provides a lot of activity to that area.

It wasn't until Wesley totally shut down after the season was over, and they went back in and took more xrays that didn't have all of the blood in the bone, that the doctors found the stress fracture.

I might have some of the 'technical' aspects wrong there, but that is the gist. So I do think the ISU medical staff did anything 'wrong' in this situation; it was a condition that wasn't visible due to the amount of blood in the bone when they took pictures of it late fall and early winter...and only became visible after Wesley shut it down.
    while it isn't completely clear, I think you meant that ISU DIDN'T do anything wrong.

correct?

-keep

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 13

You're earning your Cyclone stripes today Jon, thanks for the info.

"I think that people are responding to someone standing up and saying this is what we want to do and let's not be afraid to go for it,'' Pollard said. "I think Iowa State has a very conservative, modest background. We never pound our chest and say `Let's do it.' It's OK to set a goal. You can't do it if you don't say what you want to do. You should be proud of it.''

Jamie Pollard, 6/2/2006

Addict
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 53

I might have some of the 'technical' aspects wrong there, but that is the gist. So I do think the ISU medical staff did anything 'wrong' in this situation; it was a condition that wasn't visible due to the amount of blood in the bone when they took pictures of it late fall and early winter...and only became visible after Wesley shut it down.
    There is a doctor on CR who is saying the exact opposite. He said a bone scan would have detected the injury, regardless.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

I believe this is what Wes and family were also told, when they went and got a 2nd Medical opinion from their Doctors in Detroit........Both Medical staffs agreed on the way that it had transpired.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 66

With the info provided by a few here, it appears the injury had nothing to do with WJ leaving.

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by keepngoal View Post
    while it isn't completely clear, I think you meant that ISU DIDN'T do anything wrong.

correct?

-keep
    COrrect, that is what I meant

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    There is a doctor on CR who is saying the exact opposite. He said a bone scan would have detected the injury, regardless.
    I have heard the same from a doctor friend of mine...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    I am not a doctor. But I do know that analyzing a situation after the fact is much different than listening to a patient, what he describes, and then providing advice based on what you are hearing.

Monday morning practitioner is much easier.

Addict
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 53

Sorry John, but your information is dead wrong. The staff basically didn't take Wesley's injury serious enough to get the test done that should have been.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I might have some of the 'technical' aspects wrong there, but that is the gist. So I do think the ISU medical staff didn't do anything 'wrong' in this situation; it was a condition that wasn't visible due to the amount of blood in the bone when they took pictures of it late fall and early winter...and only became visible after Wesley shut it down.
    So do you feel that the staff pushed Wes to play through the injury when he was far less than 100%? Maybe Wes feels now that the staff possible jeopardized his career by pushing him to play through the injury and if they let him sit out until around January they would have caught the fracture and he could have used a redshirt. My guess is Wes feels betrayed by the staff and when the new diagnosis came out on the 8th it was kinda of a "see I told you there was something wrong" feeling and that was the last straw.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 152

I am not a doctor. But I do know that analyzing a situation after the fact is much different than listening to a patient, what he describes, and then providing advice based on what you are hearing.

Agreed.

Asking some random doctor friend proves nothing. I'll only believe in what the doctors that have actually put their hands on Wes's foot and have reviewed his charts. All the others are just making quasi-educated guesses.

2 doctors said the same thing - both doctors saw him. One in Ames, one in Detroit. That's enough for me.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 152

As far as the staff pushing him to play - anyone remember the Minnesota game? We're in the game late and Wes goes to Greg, trying to get into the game? No? Forgotten all about that, eh?

Do I completely discredit the rumors that the staff was trying to find ways to get Wes on the court? Not at all.

But it certainly does seem to me Wes wanted to be there more than anyone else wanted him there.

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 291
    Given: 136

That is a great point. A doctor always wants to be right and it's far easier to assume you know facts after the actual event then what those involved actually knew at the time.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 291
    Given: 136

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    As far as the staff pushing him to play - anyone remember the Minnesota game? We're in the game late and Wes goes to Greg, trying to get into the game? No? Forgotten all about that, eh?
    You are mistaken - I was the coach for a day that day and I made him sit out

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.