Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Permission to Rant?

I caught a little of Ken Miller on the way home and surprise, my rant isn't about what he said. My rant is against the Cyclone fans calling in who kept saying you have to remember he is coaching at Iowa State, or we aren't...or we can't expect...you have to remember we are Iowa State. You are darn right. We are Iowa State. We are a proud University that is committed to excellence. We will compete for championships. We will play meaningful game every week of the season.

We can't expect more because you have to remember who we are....give me a break. So afraid to let go of 8-24 b/c they are don't believe we can do better.

Sad.....so does the EIU arrogance regarding ISU come from their own feathered brains or are they just repeating what our own fans say.

Rant over, return to regular programming

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17

Re: Permission to Rant?

Ya, I heard that too, and specifically, the EIU fan that said "I am a Hawk fan number 1, but if Ferentz had done the same thing as McCarney, I would want him replaced too".........Ya right, they lose to Indiana during their BCS championship season and their ready to replace Ferentz without a second thought.

Recruit
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Great post. it's sad

All it would take is a great coaching job and suddenly the low self esteem and doubt would be erased. The Iowa program was in terrible shape when Hayden Fry arrived in '79. Iowa's record over the previous 15 years was as bad as any stretch in ISU history. I know this because I can remember the tail end of the misery before they hired Fry. 56-0 against Nebraska, 56-7 at home against Purdue......and that was 1980 in Fry's 2nd year.

Dan McCarney did a good job of at least easing the pain for Cyclone football fans. But his mediocre performance has only reinforced the doubters. We need one guy to come in and make it happen. Like Snyder at KSU, Rich Brooks at Oregon, Fry at Iowa, Mike Leach at TT, Schiano at Rutgers, McCartney at Colorado, Gary Barnett at Northwestern. It can be done. Sustaining it is something different, but I'd be satisfied with something short of that. Just a 3-5 year stretch where we win the Big XII North and play on New Year's Day a couple times. (And maybe even the stars align and he pulls off that one upset where we beat OU or Texas for a conference title. Remember that ISU had not won a conference basketball title in 55 years, until Larry Eustachy did it twice in a row.) Just to prove that it can be done. And it can.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 124

Iowa was as low as Iowa State at times. If it can be cdone at Iowa to the next level, it can be done at ISU. Louisville and West Virgina look pretty good now.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree. We need all Clones to get on the bandwago and move forward

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JCloned View Post
    I agree. We need all Clones to get on the bandwago and move forward
    Exactly. And so what if we do get rid of Mac? Do any of his apologists think that there is no one out there that can coach/recruit better than Mac? It is sad that they think the best we can do is a guy that at best *could* be an assistant coach at another BCS school.

All-Star
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

That Scott guy who called in ranting and raving is an absolute idiot and embarrasment to ISU.

Rookie
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

wait stop the ranting you asked for permission and with out getting it you ranted anyways bad form sir bad form.....j/k ;-)

dan k

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 41

Did anyone listen to the Jon Miller show yesterday, where a Cyclone fan called in rambling about nothing. Part of his nonsense included this quote.

"Jon, I wanted to mention recruiting quick and then I'll hang up. I keep hearing how ISU can't win a Big 12 title and a national title. Well if you took the Texas recruits or USC recruits, etc - and put them in an ISU uniform - we could win titles too!"

Really, Mr. Expert? Here, all along, I thought it was our uniforms that kept us from winning all these years. So you mean to say, if all the Texas players showed up in Ames and put on our Cardinal & Gold - we could win? Wow...what an amazing discovery - ground breaking stuff.

Mr. Expert, right now what you don't understand, is we can't get that caliber of player right now. If I offered anyone in the country a scholarship to Texas and then one to ISU - where is the kid gonna go? It's a brainless choice that basically 10 out of 10 athletes are going to sprint toward Austin.

Rookie
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree with the post about West Virginia and Louisville...some people wouldnt even know they had a football team about 5 years ago. Look at Rutgers...young excited coach..undefeated in 3-4 years of being there.

Good things CAN happen to ISU football...the fans are there, the facilities will be there, and there is no reason why the Big 12 North shouldnt be decided every year when we play Nebraska. We just need something NEW and someone NEW in the program to spark up the fire again.

It is time for a change, and I think we will get it after this year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 124

Like the Billy Joel song about starting the fire. Have JP play that song before Saturday's game over the loudspeaker and watch the crowd raction.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Recruit
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 423
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Lastplace View Post
    I agree with the post about West Virginia and Louisville...some people wouldnt even know they had a football team about 5 years ago. Look at Rutgers...young excited coach..undefeated in 3-4 years of being there.

Good things CAN happen to ISU football...the fans are there, the facilities will be there, and there is no reason why the Big 12 North shouldnt be decided every year when we play Nebraska. We just need something NEW and someone NEW in the program to spark up the fire again.

It is time for a change, and I think we will get it after this year.

The fans are there? We are 3-6 and fans are so far off the bandwagon its disgusting. They are talking about 35,000 people there tops this weekend. The fans aren't there. Only there if we are doing well. This isn't every Cyclone fan but it sure as hell is a lot of them. How many people have you heard in the last 2 week say they aren't going to any more Cyclone games till something changes? Give me a break. Get off your high horse and be a true fan. That is my rant.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Smile Re: Permission to Rant?

Quote Originally Posted by clones11 View Post
    wait stop the ranting you asked for permission and with out getting it you ranted anyways bad form sir bad form.....j/k ;-)

My bad, may I have permission to rant in Sir.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 753
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Quote Originally Posted by clonestotop View Post
    The fans are there? We are 3-6 and fans are so far off the bandwagon its disgusting. They are talking about 35,000 people there tops this weekend. The fans aren't there. Only there if we are doing well.
    What team doesn't that apply to? Seriously, now.. yes, we want everyone to support the team, but let's be realistic. If they're talking about 35,000 being there... then obviously, fans are there. Sure, we aren't selling out, but you already know why. We aren't doing well. And how can you possibly expect us to sell out when we're last in our conference? Could you honestly ask that of ANY other football team in the nation?? Of course not! The only sports team I know of that can possibly sell out while still completely sucking and being in last place is the Chicago Cubs. And you know what? Half of the people there either don't go for the game or don't want to waste the season tickets they bought.

We are all fans, that's why we care so much. That's why we want to do better. Yes, we shouldn't resort to abandoning our team, but in general lower attendance comes with being in last place. That's just the way it works, and you can't ask for sellout crowds when this is the case.

Addict
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 534
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 21

This is another thing that bothers me about some Cyclone fans. "Support no matter what!" You know, that only goes so far. We are trying to build a fan base here, not keep one that really didn't exist. You were getting people in the stands because expectations were high this year, not because they are the Cyclones. You have to put a good product on the field to attract fans. What 35,000 in the stands will prove is that you have about 35,000 people who are die hard fans of Iowa State. The other 15-20 thousand that didn't show were merely people who thought they could see some good football, but, aren't willing to sit through another ISU crapfest. It's not the fans fault. It's like me trying to feed you a candybar made of crap. You're supposed to eat it becaus I say you are, not because it's good or fun to eat. It's the exact same with ISU football. Until you make it good football or at least fun to watch, you aren't going to get anyone but your 30-35,000 true fans out there. In the end, if ISU wants more fans, they have to put a good product on the field year in and year out. You can't have 2 0-fer seasons every 4 years and expect a lot of excitement. And you especially can't sell people on the fact that, "This is the best ISU can expect" as a way to drum up fans. Sell, "We expect nothing less than winning seasons!" Sell, "We expect a conference Championship" Sell, "We expect a New Years DAy Bowl" That's the atmosphere people want to be involved with. Not, "What do you expect, this is ISU, the best we can do." Quit blaming the fans, it's not our fault. Put a team that wins games out on the field and people will show up. Put a team on the field that's not known for ******* the end of the season down their leg and you'll get fans in the seats in November. Sell excitement and you'll get excitement. Sell crap and you'll get a bowl of crap.