Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 140,900, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Flag Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    13,090
    Points
    140,900
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Iraqi officials demand severe punishment of solider who shot Quran

    Iraq party: Punish U.S. soldier who shot at Quran - CNN.com


    Summary (Man I can't believe Alaskaguy didn't hit this...): Iraqi government is demanding the US severly punish (to make an example of) a U.S. sniper that used a Quran for target practice, after having drawn and written swear words on the inside. The Army officials over there have already had a ceremony appologizing, and the solider has been re-assigned to the US (following a disicplinary procedure)



    Now I agree the solider should be punished but I think they're making a bigger deal out of this than neccasiry... I doubt this big of a stink would be made if they defaced and shot a Bible.

    That said, the solider should be pistol whipped because they DO get worked up over stuff like this, and this is the type of stuff Islamic extremist and anti-American arabs feed off of. Besides demonstrating a complete lack of professionalism (and yes, Soliders are professionals - I just spent an entire day at a Department of Defense open house emphesising the professionalism and dedication expected and exemplified by our men and women in Arms), and this type of stuff ****s it up for everyone still serving in the country and the 4000+ that have died in that country in the last 5 years. This is a war of hearts and minds, and a single action can out weigh hundreds of others, especially in a place like that.


    Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 76,794, Level: 86
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Khorasan
    Posts
    5,111
    Points
    76,794
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Iraqi officials demand severe punishment of solider who shot Quran

    I agree with you, sir. This idiot who shot the Koran needs to be gone from the Army. We don't need him on our side, if you will.

    Nothing like undoing progress.

    Our actions in this will be judged more importantly than his idiocy, imo.


    I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

  3. #3
    Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oldpeopleville
    Posts
    9,207
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iraqi officials demand severe punishment of solider who shot Quran

    Quote Originally Posted by Flag Guy View Post
    Iraq party: Punish U.S. soldier who shot at Quran - CNN.com


    Summary (Man I can't believe Alaskaguy didn't hit this...): Iraqi government is demanding the US severly punish (to make an example of) a U.S. sniper that used a Quran for target practice, after having drawn and written swear words on the inside. The Army officials over there have already had a ceremony appologizing, and the solider has been re-assigned to the US (following a disicplinary procedure)



    Now I agree the solider should be punished but I think they're making a bigger deal out of this than neccasiry... I doubt this big of a stink would be made if they defaced and shot a Bible.

    That said, the solider should be pistol whipped because they DO get worked up over stuff like this, and this is the type of stuff Islamic extremist and anti-American arabs feed off of. Besides demonstrating a complete lack of professionalism (and yes, Soliders are professionals - I just spent an entire day at a Department of Defense open house emphesising the professionalism and dedication expected and exemplified by our men and women in Arms), and this type of stuff ****s it up for everyone still serving in the country and the 4000+ that have died in that country in the last 5 years. This is a war of hearts and minds, and a single action can out weigh hundreds of others, especially in a place like that.
    Really? You think this wouldn't be much of a stink if it was a christian bible? I'll pee all over one in front of a church, and you'll be able able to see the headlines.

    EDIT: I agree that this guy should be taken out of action for what he did.


    "Seven minutes to glory."

  4. #4
    Chile Mac is Back!
    Points: 302,614, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    LindenCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    23,029
    Points
    302,614
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 345
    Given: 735

    Re: Iraqi officials demand severe punishment of solider who shot Quran

    The ad on the side is for a Muslim matrimonial site. Muslima.com - kind of interesting.



  5. #5
    Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oldpeopleville
    Posts
    9,207
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iraqi officials demand severe punishment of solider who shot Quran

    Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    The ad on the side is for a Muslim matrimonial site. Muslima.com - kind of interesting.
    Mine is a target.com search for "diplomacy"


    "Seven minutes to glory."

  6. #6
    Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    524
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iraqi officials demand severe punishment of solider who shot Quran

    Freedom of expression the koran is the devils work I would shoot it too

    well at least that is some peoples opinion



  7. #7
    Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oldpeopleville
    Posts
    9,207
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iraqi officials demand severe punishment of solider who shot Quran

    Quote Originally Posted by troyrew View Post
    Freedom of expression the koran is the devils work I would shoot it too

    well at least that is some peoples opinion
    Is that an honest belief? Sheesh. It's an expansion of the christian bible, much like the christian bible being an expansion of the OT.

    Does that make both expansions a work of the devil?

    EDIT: I just saw your final sentence.


    "Seven minutes to glory."

  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 140,900, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Flag Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    13,090
    Points
    140,900
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iraqi officials demand severe punishment of solider who shot Quran

    Quote Originally Posted by troyrew View Post
    Freedom of expression the koran is the devils work I would shoot it too

    well at least that is some peoples opinion


    I get the feeling his motivation for shooting it up is probally tied to something other than religious beliefs, or is tied to something besides just religious beliefs..


    Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 83,696, Level: 89
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,595
    Points
    83,696
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

    Re: Iraqi officials demand severe punishment of solider who shot Quran

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post
    Sheesh. It's an expansion of the christian bible, much like the christian bible being an expansion of the OT.
    Care to expand on that thought?



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 140,900, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Flag Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    13,090
    Points
    140,900
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iraqi officials demand severe punishment of solider who shot Quran

    Quote Originally Posted by cyeah View Post
    Care to expand on that thought?

    Because Mohammad believed the Bible... other than Jesus being the son of God (Mohammad thought of him as a prophet like himself). I believe the Koran was supposed to be God's correction to some innacuracies of the Christian Bible, and a completion of it. Final chapter you could say.


    I'm probally wrong on some detail of this but thats the jist of the idea he was getting at I believe


    Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 386,190, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,651
    Points
    386,190
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 463
    Given: 310

    Re: Iraqi officials demand severe punishment of solider who shot Quran

    His actions probably will get more people killed. There is no excuse. Even if you dont have the sames beliefs of someone, it doesnt give you the right to do something like this. Have some respect for others.



  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 61,013, Level: 76
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    3,666
    Points
    61,013
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 15

    Re: Iraqi officials demand severe punishment of solider who shot Quran

    I guess I put this in the same category as when someone burns an American flag. Should we require other governments to punish people who partake in this act? I'm not saying that the act of shooting a book of this nature was a smart/good idea. I find it hypocritical. The same people who get all up in arms over this act are the first ones to burn a flag. Neither should be acceptable but to punish one action without punishing the other seems weak.


    I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 140,900, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Flag Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    13,090
    Points
    140,900
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iraqi officials demand severe punishment of solider who shot Quran

    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneG View Post
    I guess I put this in the same category as when someone burns an American flag. Should we require other governments to punish people who partake in this act? I'm not saying that the act of shooting a book of this nature was a smart/good idea. I find it hypocritical. The same people who get all up in arms over this act are the first ones to burn a flag. Neither should be acceptable but to punish one action without punishing the other seems weak.

    Right on. I was going to pull that analogy in but left it...

    I do agree the solider needs to be punished, but not for the same reasons that the Iraqis are demanding it. I just think they're making a fuss for their own gains


    Which has something to do with my comment about a lesser outcry over this happening to a Bible, 62


    Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 83,696, Level: 89
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,595
    Points
    83,696
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

    Re: Iraqi officials demand severe punishment of solider who shot Quran

    Quote Originally Posted by Flag Guy View Post
    Because Mohammad believed the Bible... other than Jesus being the son of God (Mohammad thought of him as a prophet like himself). I believe the Koran was supposed to be God's correction to some innacuracies of the Christian Bible, and a completion of it. Final chapter you could say.


    I'm probally wrong on some detail of this but thats the jist of the idea he was getting at I believe
    That is what I thought. The whole they are just like us but a little different is a dangerous thing. Islam is not an extension of the New Testament, it is a refutation of all of it based on their belief that Jesus is not the Son of God.

    Without the recognition of Chirst's divine nature there is no New Testament.

    Islam, and especially modern Islam is the repudiation of all things Christian. Yes, Mohamud beleived in God but the road forks pretty quickly after that point and gets further and further apart.



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 140,900, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Flag Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    13,090
    Points
    140,900
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iraqi officials demand severe punishment of solider who shot Quran

    I didn't say I agreed with it, I was clairifying a point that was made.


    The point of this thread wasn't to debate the validity of theological doctrine, just discuss the impact of the situation and how it should be handled.


    I do agree that there are a lot of flaws to the idea of it being a little different... but if that is going to be debated that is better suited for a different thread


    Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM