Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Stability of athletics?

Since March ISU has replaced its men's basketball head coach and wrestling head coach. I thought both were great moves, nothing against Bobby, but I just didn't want to get Gabled again. Also, I am sure most of us agree that Wayne wasn't leading the basketball program down the right path. Both are great young hires that bring a lot to the table.

With the football season winding down, we could be close to replacing McCarney as well, all in under a year. Can ISU Athletics withstand that kind of overhaul? Will we lose all the stability in our athletic department or can JP hold everything together on his own? What do you think?

Rookie
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Stability of athletics?

I don't think that stability is as important as moving the athletic department forward. Stability would have been keeping BVD at athletic director as well. I don't think that any fan could keep a straight face and say that the stability of BVD would have been better than Jamie Pollard.

"If it was easy, someone else would have done it already." ISU Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 652
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 7

I think that after JP gets the fb thing stabilized whether that be axing Mac or just his staff, and getting back to consistency on Sat in the fall, that he's got to start looking at some of the lesser sports in the department beyond FB, MBB, and WBB (and maybe Wr). We aren't exactly raking in the conference titles in most of the other sports (except women's gymnastics, and she left). Those coaches should be held somewhat accountable for their performance as well. I'd be interested in seeing which sports have finished in the top 3 of the conference in the past five years? Volleyball and Men's Cross Country are quietly having their most successful seasons in a decade. But otherwise on a team basis are we really tearing it up?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

Don't forget, ISU had to replace its gymnastics coach too. So the list to date is...

Men's basketball
    Wrestling
    Gymnastics

I don't think it hurts our over-all stability as that comes from the AD's office. Jamie is surrounding himself with his guys. He's going to improve the program his way. So far I love his way.

Who am I to question him?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I completely forgot about gymnastics. Oklahoma recieved an excellent coach. She was doing some great things with so much less when compared to Texas, OU, and Nebraska.

I think that Sanderson and McDermott have done an excellent job recruiting, and I am looking forward to watching their teams in the future. I think that the women's basketball team will do quite well this year. I imagine around 4th in the Big 12.

The coaches in other sports should be held more accountable, but the real money maker is football. The other sports success depends on the football program for money for facilities and other improvements except for men's basketball. Although, sports like women's basketball and wrestling do make a little money or at very least hold their own.

Walk On
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

This is just like business. Many times corporations bring in a new CEO to turn the business around and the CEO brings in a whole new leadership team. That's because the old leadership team was not getting it done.

New leadership and change can be good!