Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Off Topic: Concrete contractors

After the long hard winter, our front steps are falling apart and we are in need of some reconstruction. We have called 3-4 different concrete contractors and I am amazed at how unprofessional these guys are. Most have said they were coming out to give an estimate and never showed up or called to say why. They haven't returned phone calls. Some have said they would email an estimate and never did. We finally told one guy out of Carlisle that we would give him the business and he said he couldn't do it for 3-4 weeks. Then he calls back to say that he could "most likely" do it at the end of last week. We called Thursday to see what was up and he has not yet returned our call. You get the general idea.

Does anyone know of a reputable contractor that will actually show up, return calls, and do a good job on reconstructing our front steps/porch? Any help would be appreciated.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,277
    Given: 631

Re: Off Topic: Concrete contractors

Quote Originally Posted by jperickson23 View Post
    After the long hard winter, our front steps are falling apart and we are in need of some reconstruction. We have called 3-4 different concrete contractors and I am amazed at how unprofessional these guys are. Most have said they were coming out to give an estimate and never showed up or called to say why. They haven't returned phone calls. Some have said they would email an estimate and never did. We finally told one guy out of Carlisle that we would give him the business and he said he couldn't do it for 3-4 weeks. Then he calls back to say that he could "most likely" do it at the end of last week. We called Thursday to see what was up and he has not yet returned our call. You get the general idea.

Does anyone know of a reputable contractor that will actually show up, return calls, and do a good job on reconstructing our front steps/porch? Any help would be appreciated.
    Sorry, I don't know any, but I just had a similar experience with plumbers/ sewer cleaning. Turns out 24 hrs, 7 days a week emergency service means that technically they will pick up the phone, and then proceed to try to scare you off by mentioning their high weekend rates. If that doesn't work, they will put you "on the list" since they have a limited staff and lots of work. I got one estimate where the guy was supposed to call, showed up out of the blue, then never called me back with a price. Best of luck!

Rookie
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 666
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 3

Just have to get lucky I guess. A couple of things to remember is that a) I'd bet that most concrete guys are pretty busy right now (start of spring plus any backlog they generated over the winter) and b) your front porch steps don't mean squat to a lot of them. It's a TINY project (unless you've got some enormous steps). Most concrete guys are paired up with general contractors whom they get most of their work from and you probably don't amount to much revenue for them.

I know Omaha has MOBA (Metro Omaha Builders Association). Des Moines may have something similar. You might be able to get some reccomendations from there.

Addict
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,757
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by Sousaclone View Post
    Just have to get lucky I guess. A couple of things to remember is that a) I'd bet that most concrete guys are pretty busy right now (start of spring plus any backlog they generated over the winter) and b) your front porch steps don't mean squat to a lot of them. It's a TINY project (unless you've got some enormous steps). Most concrete guys are paired up with general contractors whom they get most of their work from and you probably don't amount to much revenue for them.

I know Omaha has MOBA (Metro Omaha Builders Association). Des Moines may have something similar. You might be able to get some reccomendations from there.
    you have it exactly right the job is to small for most contractors to care about. You don't want a concrete contractor you need a handy man that will mix the cement in a bucket. and patch it up most likely. I know it sucks, but not much you can do about it.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cytech View Post
    you have it exactly right the job is to small for most contractors to care about. You don't want a concrete contractor you need a handy man that will mix the cement in a bucket. and patch it up most likely. I know it sucks, but not much you can do about it.
    I kind of figured it was a small job for them but why not be up front about it and say that? Don't promise to give estimates, show up, or call back if you don't mean it. It is beyond a "patch up" job. It would take demolishing what is left and building everything again from scratch. I guess the original guy that did it didn't dig deep enough below the frost line which is what caused this problem. It is very frustrating as the front entry way is not usable and at the very least dangerous.

Last edited by jperickson23; 05-17-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,757
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

well you do have that right that they should of been up front with you. I know when I have someone that wants a small job bid I just tell them straight up on the phone that it will not be cost efficient for them to hire us.

I would skip calling people in the phone book, I would look on craigs list, and in the service directory in the classifieds of your newspaper whatever that may be.

Basically what you will most likely end up finding is someone that does concrete work full time that is looking for some side work to buy beer with. They likely won't be licensed or insured, but it is what you will be stuck with for a small job like that most likely.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 536
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Alot of times, guys who do jobs like that are real good at there trade and real bad at business. They know how to do the work and do it well. They just can't run a company (much like you're explained). Best of luck!

"I believe the state color for Alabama should be primer," Larry the Cable Guy.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Whats wrong with the stairs are they crumbling or pulling away from the foundation or other?

Occam's Razor means 'With all things being equal , the simplest explanation/answer is normally the right one'