Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 302

Where to Live Part 2 - Des Moines and Spencer

http://www.relocateamerica.com/iowa/cities/des-moines
    As Iowa's capitol city, Des Moines is a hub of government action, business activity and cultural affairs. With a Metro population of 456,000, Des Moines is a bustling metropolis. But though we have big city bustle, we're extremely proud of our small town atmosphere. Our community offers quality schools, superb public services, and friendly neighborhoods. Truly the best of both worlds! As Iowa's capital city, Des Moines is a hub of government action, arts and cultural affairs. With a City population approaching 200,000 and a metro population of nearly 500,000, Des Moines offers some of the nation's best schools, superb public services, and friendly, caring neighborhoods.

Attractions:
    Des Moines is a place of city sizzle and simple pleasures, offering something for everyone. We're home to one-of-a-kind attractions, unforgettable events, arts and entertainment. For family adventure, the Iowa State Fair, White Water University, National Balloon Classic and Blank Park Zoo captivate the senses. View the passion of renowned artists in the outstanding collection of works at the Des Moines Art Center or take a hands-on approach at the Science Center of Iowa. Witness the progression of Iowa agricultural at a living history museum or view government in action beneath the majestic capitol's 23-karat gold dome.

In metro Des Moines, amazing sights await your discovery. Architectural buffs will be amazed by the Victorian opulence of the governor's home and by a 42-room Tudor mansion nestled in a residential neighborhood. Just minutes outside the city, embrace the romance at picturesque Madison County.

No matter if it's summertime fun, an autumn escape or holiday magic you're after, the attractions of Greater Des Moines invite all thrill-seekers for an unforgettable adventure!

Schools:
    Des Moines offers an excellent opportunity for students to enrich their education through Drake University! Drake and Des Moines are a great match - and they've enjoyed a mutually advantageous relationship since the University was founded in 1881. Drake offers citizens learning and information resources, faculty expertise, cultural perspectives, entertainment and athletic excitement. Des Moines offers students and alumni plenty of employment, dining, shopping and recreational opportunities as well as additional cultural, artistic and entertainment options.

Drake and Des Moines are also connected through the city's business and civic leaders, many of whom are Drake alumni and friends. They form a dynamic network of professionals and volunteers who work together for the success of the University and central Iowa at the same time they reflect a wide variety of interests and activities.

So enjoy Des Moines - and explore! Fuel up with some meatloaf and a malt at the Drake Diner or savor the peanut sauce at Taste of Thailand. Take in the 3,500 works by more than 1,600 artists in the Des Moines Art Center's permanent collection, take in a production at one of several local playhouses or take it easy under the 300 varieties of flowering crabapple trees in Water Works Park. Ponder democracy under the Iowa State Capital Building's 22-carat gold dome or shop in West Des Moines' historic Valley Junction. Volunteer your time, contribute your talents and put your abilities to work - both Drake University and Des Moines welcome you and your ideas!

http://www.relocateamerica.com/iowa/cities/spencer

Welcome to Spencer, Iowa! Spencer is an enterprising city where country charm and a modern lifestyle go hand in hand. Unlike much of Iowa, the lovely, rolling farmlands of this northwest corner of the state are dotted with picturesque lakes and wooded shorelines. It is a landscape enhanced by the historic buildings of the downtown area and the town's personable cultural flair. With a comfortable lifestyle, low crime and abundant recreation areas, Spencer is a great town with a lot going for it.
    It comes as no surprise that Spencer is listed in The 100 Best Small Art Towns in America. At the center of the local arts scene is Arts On Grand. One of the town's biggest tourist attractions, Arts On Grand also puts on exhibits, classes, and special events year-round.
    Only a 15 minute drive away from Iowa's Great Lakes region, Spencer couldn't be better situated for year-round fun. Residents can enjoy beautiful biking and skiing trails, picturesque campgrounds, and terrific bass fishing. Just point your car in practically any direction, and you'll find a promising lake. The natural beauty of the town's surroundings combines with the thriving cultural to make the Spencer area a first-rate vacation spot.
    There are also many municipal resources available. The area features two golf courses, with 18 more within less than an hour's travel. There are also plenty of city parks providing tennis courts, nature trails and playing fields.
    With so much to recommend it, it's no wonder people are attracted to Spencer. With people come more business, and the economy is flourishing. The agricultural, retail and recreational sectors are booming, and yet the cost of living is below the national average.
    Spencer seems to have it all. In addition to a healthy lifestyle, residents enjoy excellent health care and a safe environment. For all these reasons, Spencer is one of the most appealing towns in Iowa.

Source: spencer-ia.com

Last edited by Wesley; 05-15-2008 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Added Links
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 1,013

Re: Where to Live Part 2 - Des Moines and Spencer

I can't believe that mentioned White Water University, LMAO.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

I assume when they say Des Moines they include the suburbs as well? Because you couldn't pay me to actually live in most of Des Moines.

It's Bushbama!

2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

Legend
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by cmoneyr View Post
    I assume when they say Des Moines they include the suburbs as well? Because you couldn't pay me to actually live in most of Des Moines.
    I live in Des Moines proper (beaverdale) and love it. I don't think you could pay me to live in most of the burbs...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 850
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 67

Agreed. I live on the west side of Des Moines near the Art Center. The people are real, the businesses are unique, it's a community and a neighborhood, and I wouldn't choose to live ANYWHERE else.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Spencer = Clay County Fair, Okoboji right down the road, actually a nice, pretty little sleepy Northwest Iowa town, that's why!

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Starter
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 289
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

I went to HS and CC near Spencer and now live in WDM. You couldn't pay me to live in NW Iowa again, but that's just my opinion.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by j4state View Post
    I went to HS and CC near Spencer and now live in WDM. You couldn't pay me to live in NW Iowa again, but that's just my opinion.

I got $5 million you can have if you move back to NW Iowa. Too bad you'd rather live in WDM...

Rookie
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Spencer reminds me of Boone. I never noticed it growing up there but I sure see it now. Some of you know what I mean. They do have a great YMCA. One of the best in the state.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 231
    Given: 333

Certain area of Des Moines are nice. Certain suburbs are nice.

Pretty dumb to generalize.

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cmoneyr View Post
    That's funny, because I'd love to be able to move back to Des Moines. I'd probably even take a pay cut, and pay more for my house there to get a home in Des Moines proper.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    Certain area of Des Moines are nice. Certain suburbs are nice.

Pretty dumb to generalize.
    Exactly. There are parts of Des Moines AND the burbs I would live in and parts I wouldn't.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 618
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 15

I have only been to Spencer one time. It was when I was about 15 and was there for a HS football game. It was on a Saturday afternoon and the only thing I remember about Spencer was that it was hot and a long drive from home. I am sure it is a nice place though.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 114

Both are very nice. As for DSM, my Grandma lives in Beaverdale and really enjoys it, nice comfortable neighborhood. I am in WDM now, and am purchasing a house in Clive. Part of that decision was based on Dallas county over Polk county, taxes do make a difference. There is a lot going on in Des Moines, heck I moved back here from California and I love it. Plenty of stuff to do.

I grew up in NW Iowa in a town that played Spencer in everything. The Spencer area is actually very nice. Good people, and close enough to Okoboji that summers would be a blast. A little quiet the rest of the year, but once you hit the 30's, quiet is actually a good thing.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 719
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 371
    Given: 703

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    I live in Des Moines proper (beaverdale) and love it. I don't think you could pay me to live in most of the burbs...
    I agree I'll move back home to Camanche, IA before I live in one of the west suburbs.