Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Jeremy...Where's the beef?

During the MBB season you had tons of information regarding Coach Morgan and his future at Iowa State. You also had a lot of information on the search for a new head coach.

Why haven't we seen similar posts regarding Mac's status and speculation as to what JP is thinking? Is it becuase your sources are only on the MBB side or have some of your sources stopped reveiling onformation once this site gained popularity?

Just curious?

CF Founder
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 149

Re: Jeremy...Where's the beef?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullishcy2 View Post
    During the MBB season you had tons of information regarding Coach Morgan and his future at Iowa State. You also had a lot of information on the search for a new head coach.

Why haven't we seen similar posts regarding Mac's status and speculation as to what JP is thinking? Is it becuase your sources are only on the MBB side or have some of your sources stopped reveiling onformation once this site gained popularity?

Just curious?
    It's really just that things were more developed regarding Morgan. I had the news first but things were further along. At this point, even Pollard doesn't know what he'll do. The situation is different just because of where we are in the season and what there is left to find out about the staff. I think things will develop pretty quickly, either for or against Mac, towards the last week of the season. One thing you won't see are any obious signs of what's going to happen until very close to or shortly after the Missouri game. Mac is a very high profile target for the program and I think that things will work a little differently this time.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I understand what you arre saying, but if JP doesn't have some plans in the work if Dan McCarney finishes 3-9 or 5-7, then I question his ability to run an athletic department. I think JP is a great AD so I don't know if i buy the idea that he doesn"t know what he is going to do.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

IMO Pollard would not show his hand at this point in time no matter what. McCarney deserves the respect to wait until the end of the season.

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 149

Quote Originally Posted by herbicide View Post
    IMO Pollard would not show his hand at this point in time no matter what. McCarney deserves the respect to wait until the end of the season.
    That's exactly right. Pollard may be thinking something completely different in his mind than what he's saying, and he most likely is. The thing is that none of us will know until he starts to bring other people in on the decision process. It's easy to guess what he's thinking but he's far too smart to go and spill the beans before the season is over. He knows that Mac deserves much more than that, regardless of the decision.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'd be shocked if JP's wheels aren't turning right now. There's no way he would wait until the season was over, fire Mac and then go, "OK I better start thinking about who should be the next coach." I'm willing to bet he has a short list of potential candidates (assuming that's the direction he'll go) and will be lining up interviews shortly after releasing Mac. (Again, assuming he pulls the trigger)

Walk On
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

In all fairness, Jamie is doing exactly the right thing. He is letting the season play out. He owes this to Iowa State, he owes this to the fans, and most of all he owes this to Dan McCarney. I don't think we will win another game, but we still have 3 to play that could make us bowl elgible.

What if word got out that the search was on for another coach and then we gain momentum and the team clicks? How bad would that make Jamie look and the rest of Iowa State University....

Drews79

Starter
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 1

Why Would Jamie Know

Quote Originally Posted by Bullishcy2 View Post
    I understand what you arre saying, but if JP doesn't have some plans in the work if Dan McCarney finishes 3-9 or 5-7, then I question his ability to run an athletic department. I think JP is a great AD so I don't know if i buy the idea that he doesn"t know what he is going to do.
    I think Jamie realizes he may need to make a change after the season is over, but ISU's record over the remaining games will have an impact on his decision. If ISU would beat KU, CU & Mizzou- then I think there is a better than 50% chance that Mac stays. Similarly if ISU wins 0 or 1 remaining games, then Mac is gone.

I would think that Jamie keeps a list of coaches in every sport that he admires and would like to interview if a coaching vacancy opened up. I would also expect Jamie to contact current head coaches that he respects and get their input. In either case any pursuit of a new coach wouldn't take place until after the Mizzou game.

I would also be surprised if the search is as quick as G-Mac's hire

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 543
    Given: 377

I think Pollard should either put pressure on Mac to "resign" or promote him within. He's done a lot for this university and I think firing would seem a little cold at this point.

Or promote him within the athletic department to keep him as the face of the university.

Whatever is done, at least do it with class

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't know if he would stay because I don't think he is done coaching, but it would be great to have him as an associate AD. If something is done, I agree it needs to be handled with class. He at very least deserves that much.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Drews79 View Post
    What if word got out that the search was on for another coach and then we gain momentum and the team clicks? How bad would that make Jamie look and the rest of Iowa State University....
    This exact situation happened to Gene Smith after he came down to ASU. Danny White mentioned to the media that Gene Smith had questioned him about taking the ASU football head coaching job. The only problem was they still had a coach. Oops. It got pretty ugly after that and ruined any chance of White getting the job. I'm sure if Pollard has investigated any potential interest in taking over the football program he has been very discreet.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Re: Why Would Jamie Know

Quote Originally Posted by isucy86 View Post
    I think Jamie realizes he may need to make a change after the season is over, but ISU's record over the remaining games will have an impact on his decision. If ISU would beat KU, CU & Mizzou- then I think there is a better than 50% chance that Mac stays. Similarly if ISU wins 0 or 1 remaining games, then Mac is gone.
    I don't think the team's performance in these last 3 games will have anything more than a nominal impact on JP's decision. It would be incredibly shortsighted of JP to make a decision based on only 3 games when there are 12 years to evaluate. I think JP has already made his decision and he's just waiting until the season plays out to let us know what it is.

When WM was fired it wasn't due to a lack of postseason play or because the team went on a slide to end the season, it was because JP saw a bigger trend downhill than either of those 2 factors alone would indicate. This time around I think JP has to ask whether he sees Mac making fundamental improvement, or at least maintaining a satisfactory level, in far more areas than just on-field performance. Season ticket sales, recruiting, decision making, assistant coach selection, graduation rates, win/loss records, bowl games, revenues, overall good-will, ncaa compliance, etc. I think will all be factored into JP's decision, but I have no idea how he'll come out on this one.

My own personal belief is that Mac is no longer the man for the job, nor has he been for the past couple of years. He has overwhelmingly been an ambassador for the program, generating interest, improvement, and overall good-will for a program that was by all accounts dead in the water. But in college football if you're not getting better, you're getting worse, and Mac hasn't been able to maintain the level that he brought the program to.

Walk On Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I agree. JP is looking at the totality of Mac's tenure. 3 games would simply be a random benchmark.

A potential head coach should find us very attractive for the following:
    1. Ambitious AD. He knows what he wants, has an infectious attitude, is excellent at communicating his vision, and finds a way to supply the tools his coaches need to be competitive.
    2. Fan base. Loyal, supportive, accepting (12 year tenure).
    3. Big 12.
    4. Oh yeah... the chance to be one of the highest paid employees of a state.

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

All this negative talk and talk of who people want to replace Mac before this season is even finished out is really disturbing. If it wasn't for Pollard canning Morgan as quick as he did and making the switch to Cael I'm not sure there would be as much talk as there is right now. JP had to act quick in those situations. Morgan was just a mess and we had to act quickly to get our guy in GMac and with the Iowa position opening up we didn't want Cael to even be an option I think. The football situation is much different. You are talking about a guy who has been the face of Cyclone athletics for over a decade now and taken our FB team to places no one before him has gone. To be giving a vote of confidence (aka the kiss of death) or flat out saying he's gone or will be back at this point in the season does not help the program at all. Let the season play out and then you can get your undies in a bundle over the situation. We still have 3 games left and still have the possibility to finish 6-6. While it's unlikely they will there still is the possibility and to show your hand now will only become a bigger distraction.

I'm with the group of people here that just wants everyone to shut up about coaching replacements or if Mac should go or not until the end of the season. It's not doing our program any good to be talking about this right now and everyone here that says that each and every one of us can make a positive difference by supporting this team through thick and thin needs to not be hipocritical and do exactly that!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 302

McC needs to beat Kansas on Saturday - no ifs, ands, or buts. The pressure is to keep the team together for the next two games. Blythe needs to get well and Flynn needs to be available. The running back is dependability question in my mind. A one point win is all it takes to bring respectability back for awhile in Ames.

The pits would be three losses with no big win in non conference to point at. Almost like an 0-12 season in some people's minds. Three plays away from disaster. We have no choice, we must win Saturday.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.