Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 6

Summer Camps

Could anyone please expound on this topic? It has been noted that DMac was successful at landing recruits during this period. I understand that high schoolers are taught and evaluated. Do they interact with the college kids and are they shown about campus? Does ISU football get sold? I get the impression that we are lacking attendees and that they aren't committing once they've seen us. Maybe there is a network of coaches that is involved.

We did land Tuftee. I think he was our first commit last year.

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,405
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

Re: Summer Camps

The summer camp that ISU holds for invitees has advantages and disadvantages for both parties.
    For players: they get to see the facilities, the campus, get is some college level coaching that may help them excel during that final High School season and get an opportunity to compete against other guys at their position that may be as big, or as strong as they consider themselves. It gives them a measuring stick of what they need to do to get better. Also an opportunity to earn a scholarship if they perform well.

Many say that Danny Mac did a great job of getting kids to commit during these camps. Only question i have is, from most peoples visual accounts, our team appears more physical, faster, and talent wise across the board an improvement from what was previously put on the field. So i wonder, if we only sign one or two kids from the clinic, but they truly are the diamonds in the rough, then its worth it...

For the University: Opportunity to form that personal contact with a kid that may ultimately get them to commit. It allows the athletic department to sell ISU as an up and coming program with the master plan to support that claim. Its an opportunity for the coaching staff to do a thorough evaluation to determine if this kid is the right kid for that scholarship. Finally, it gives some talented kids an opportunity to show off what they can do, and evaluate themselves next to other kids the same size, but may be stronger, faster etc etc that may not exist on their current team.

Tuftee was a find at one of these camps, ironic thing to it was that i think going into that camp they were basing the evaluation process against Logan Pegram from Kansas who was a 3* guy. Tuftee whipped him in every category and thats from a defensive guy that had a first hand account of watching it go down. Tuftee was a beast, said take the helmet off, he's a mellow, laid back fella. Put the helmet on, and he was a different person, hope he has a bit of a nasty streak, i like that in both offensive and defensive lineman.

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I think that it takes time to build the camps up. Chizik and staff are new to the state and there is no coach on the staff with real Iowa connections, so those need to be built. I know that they invite select HS coaches to work at the camp (as well as current players).

One thing that I've noticed is that Chizik seems to do a better job of getting out-of-state players to Ames for the camps.

Yeah, he probably will not get the commits out of the camps that Mac did, but I'd argue that a lot of Mac's camp offers were reaches.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

All-Star
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 164
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by bmuff View Post
    I think that it takes time to build the camps up. Chizik and staff are new to the state and there is no coach on the staff with real Iowa connections, so those need to be built. I know that they invite select HS coaches to work at the camp (as well as current players).
    If he would get Curt Bladt from Harlan to give a 5-15 minute speech. The out of staters would want to come for the sense of humor alone.

"To run this drill, Everyone line up in a circle, pair up in rows of three, alphabetically"

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 791
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

i know bolt and Macfarland have both come down to roosevelt multiple times to talk with Coach rosenberg

"Day after day, situation after situation you do things the right way. If you do things the right way, in life, you are going to be successful. I'm not just your football coach; I'm not just here to win games. I could not be prouder of who we are and who we are becoming, together. You do things right in the classroom, off and on the field; that's whats's makes us Cyclones and that's what our culture's all about."
    -Paul Rhoads