Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Stupid cheers are killing me.

I thought the cheers before the team came on the field in football were corny. Now I see they have some stupid made up cheers for Basketball. I think Hilton Magic is good enough without forcing people to yell things. How about like the olden dayz everyone just get super loud.

That is what made Hilton work. Not forced cheers. I hate forced cheers.

Clones Rule

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 720
    Given: 540

Re: Stupid cheers are killing me.

i agree, hilton used to get loud. I loved it. teams had a hard time winning in it. the past fews years its been a meow not a roar

Walk On Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

the worst cheers are possibly "Cyclone Power" and the dreaded"CY-CL-ON-ES...cyclones cyclones go state" I respect Alumic Prez Johnson and all but those cheers in no way pump us up. they just make us look stupid.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jkoo View Post
    the worst cheers are possibly "Cyclone Power" and the dreaded"CY-CL-ON-ES...cyclones cyclones go state" I respect Alumic Prez Johnson and all but those cheers in no way pump us up. they just make us look stupid.
    Yeah...because God forbid we'd actually have a cheer to unify the crowd...

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't really think 45,000 people in Austin yelling "TEXAS!!!" followed by another 45,000 people yelling "FIGHT!!!" or 30,000 people in Norman yelling "BOOMER!!!" followed by another 30,000 people yelling "SOONER!!!", or 80,000 people in College Station swaying together singing "SAW VARSITY'S HORNS OFF!" makes them look stupid. In fact, it's pretty intimidating.

CY-CL-ON-ES will work in Hilton. When they first debuted it for the FB practice watch, it sounded REALLY good, because everyone there was into it. Problem is, the sound doesn't travel well outside and we're relying on corners that are filled with opposing team fans to carry parts of it.

Hey, if cheers like this bring back Hilton Magic, I'm all for it. I can hardly remember what Hilton Magic feels like. All I have to go off of is memories of my underclassmen years. A couple of times last year we got really close to it. It actually really sucked having it snatched every time from us last year. You'd get that feeling, deep down inside your soul, that feeling of the energy of 20,000 screaming fans unifying as one. Then the visitors would hit a three and kill it. Ripped my heart out every time.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 429
    Given: 269

Excellent post superfan.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

In JTS I think cyclone power is great, but CY-CL-ON-ES has got to go. I'll reserve judgement for how they work in Hilton, but I have a feeling it will be the exact opposite.

I don't think these are going to replace times when the crowd is super loud though. Nothing will be better than the floor shaking at the end of a game causing Texas' money free throw shooter to miss.

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

All of those cheers you mention come natural. The cheer squads do them and they stick.

It's not hey everyone. You have to do this cheer. It's stupid. Last time I remember we had one of the best home courts in the nation when we just yelled as loud as possible.

Clones Rule

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedrew View Post
    All of those cheers you mention come natural. The cheer squads do them and they stick.

It's not hey everyone. You have to do this cheer. It's stupid. Last time I remember we had one of the best home courts in the nation when we just yelled as loud as possible.
    I understand completely what you're saying, and I agree, cheers should come naturally. Hell, I've probably started more cheers in my four years here than the cheerleaders have in the past 10. I respect our cheerleaders for trying, but sometimes their timing is simply horrid...like last year, when Baylor was kneeling to get their first Big XII road win ever and they tried to start a "Let's Go State!" chant... Bad timing. It should have been a horror-filled, morbid time, the only noise I wanted to hear was "Taps" playing

What really impressed me about the Texas! Fight! chant was, like you said, how natural it was. 20 students would yell "Texas" randomly, and it would get picked up by the entire stadium. However, I think that after a couple of years of encouragement, all the cheers will become natural, and we won't have the need for a "Committee member" cueing a cheer.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 429
    Given: 269

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    I think that after a couple of years of encouragement, all the cheers will become natural, and we won't have the need for a "Committee member" cueing a cheer.
    And there it is. Right now ISU is trying to teach a man how to fish. It's not that we don't know how...but we don't do it all the time and it's often not coordinated.

Once the fans get used to it...the cheers should become second nature.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedrew View Post

I'm torn. On one hand, unified cheers DO sounds pretty good. On the other, I HATE the ones that are chosen for us. "CY-CL..." isn't very good. It just isn't. "Cyclones! Cyclones! (Awkward Pause) Go State!" ??? is just not very good. IMO, we could have come up with something better. Unfortunately, I wasn't asked :-)

Cyclone Power ain't bad. Sounds a little high-schoolish, but it ain't bad. Too many people DON'T do it though. I like being a part of Cyclone Alley, and I'll do whatever I have to do in there to make it look great, but a part of me thinks it'd be just as good if we just cheered and yelled like hell.

FWIW, I like the "BULL***" chant. It's funny. It's not even THAT bad. I guarantee passionate COLLEGED AGED kids are naturally going to want to say "BULL****" rather than "I strongly disagree" and no matter how hard the Cyclone Alley leaders try to change it, the BS chants will rule. And that's not a knock against Cyclone Alley leaders because they do a great job and trust me, us students really appreciate it.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 273
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 23

Spelling out "Cyclones", then yelling it... it really is weak. It has no flow and doesn't roll like a chant should. Maybe it's just too long.

Regardless, having standard cheers led by whoever doesn't mean the students or Cyclone Alley can't start their own chants spontaneously. :)

Walk On Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cloned4Life View Post
    I'm torn. On one hand, unified cheers DO sounds pretty good. On the other, I HATE the ones that are chosen for us. "CY-CL..." isn't very good. It just isn't. "Cyclones! Cyclones! (Awkward Pause) Go State!" ??? is just not very good.

Cyclone Power ain't bad. Sounds a little high-schoolish, but it ain't bad. Too many people DON'T do it though.
    Exactly. "_(mascot)_" power is something that I did in middle school. And even then it seemed kiddish. The whole spelling it out just makes us seem very uncoordinated. and that dreaded pause only adds to the inability to keep time as a fanbase.

I will say however the "I-S-U" chant with the entire stadium is by far the best. That gets me pumped to hear the letters being roared with momentary pauses in between. Very intimidating.

I'm curious to know how all these cheers will work in the Hilton. Hopefully the team will give us plenty of reasons to be screaming our heads off.

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Speaking of spelling, has anyone heard the Gopher chant where they spell the word "MINNESOTA". That has got to be the worst cheer I have ever heard. It drives me crazy!

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdave View Post
    Speaking of spelling, has anyone heard the Gopher chant where they spell the word "MINNESOTA". That has got to be the worst cheer I have ever heard. It drives me crazy!
    I fully plan on mocking them for that up in the Twin Cities over Thanksgiving break.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Hopefully the team will give us plenty of reasons to be screaming our heads off.
    A really good point. All these cheers will look pretty stupid if the team you are cheering for is as successful as this year's gridiron gang.

The Portland, Oregon cyclone fan
    Class of 91

If life isn't fun, your doing it wrong.