Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 8

Cyclone Alley Handbook

Went to go pick up my Cyclone Alley shirt today, and along with it came this little handbook full of schedules, cheers, etc. There are a few new cheers that I found quite humorous/embarrasing, so I thought I'd share them here:

When opposing players are shooting free throws, we will do one of the three things:

1) Sit-Down The Alley will all be standing and cheering as loud as possible, waving arms around, etc. When cued by one of the Cyclone Alley Central members, everyone will sit down as the player is just about to shoot the ball. (Seems kind of childish when I envision it...)[

* The key to these working is to watch for your cues from members of Cyclone Alley Central. Before each free throw, they will hold up a card letting you know which motion we will be using. Great, why don't we just come up with hand/arm signals and turn these guys in to Yell Leaders?

Referee Calls: As a section, if there is a call we don't like, we will chant "We Strongly Disagree," rather than the obscenities that have been used in the past. We will clap on each syllable. (Rumor is that Cyclone Alley has been taken over by CRU...)

They're also trying to bring the new football chants over into Hilton, which may work better in an arena, but I still abhor the "C-Y, C-L, O-N, E-S, Cyclones, Cyclones, Go State!" chant.

This year's road trip is to UNI, so it should be pretty fun to chant "We've got G-Mac!" at the game. Looking forward to another fun year. :)

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 239

Re: Cyclone Alley Handbook

They are not going to get one single student to yell "we strongly disagree".

Ever.

Starter
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I hate that C-Y cheer. It doesn't work well when it seems like 20,000 out of 50,000 can't read. That gets compounded by drunk kids and it doesn't work like it should.
    I like the UNI chant though, but we better win before we do that.

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Rumor has it there will be gold bandanas handed out to Cyclone Alley members. I don't think they will be available until closer to conference play.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cyclone Alley - Hilton Magic Bandanas.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	110  

Addict
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    They are not going to get one single student to yell "we strongly disagree".

Ever.
    I noticed there were only three sponsors on the back of the Cyclone Alley t-shirt. Maybe our constant hounding of the refs last year lost a few sponsors, and this cheer in the handbook is just to say "Look, we tried!"

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 239

This is going to sound bad maybe...but oh well.

I was proud at how the Cyclone Alley members (and all of Hilton for that matter) treated Pierre Pierce when Iowa played in Hilton that year he returned to the team.

Pierce was called about everything you can imagine and deserved all of it. Well, I did hear a few racial slurs that were inappropriate - but everything else was dead on. He wasn't welcome in Hilton and the fans let him know it - even after repeated warnings from the PA.

Some may not like my opinion on that, but I was very happy to have Cyclone Alley that day.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,372
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    They're also trying to bring the new football chants over into Hilton, which may work better in an arena, but I still abhor the "C-Y, C-L, O-N, E-S, Cyclones, Cyclones, Go State!" chant.
    I agree completely about the C-Y,C-L,O-N,E-S! The fact that it takes awhile for sound to travel makes that chant absolutely terrible.

I think the Cyclone Power one sounds really good in the football stadium however. I didn't think I'd like it at first because I thought Cyclone Power just sounds kinda corny... but the roar of the crowd shifting from one side to the other is amazing. The coolest part about it is it's not just a student section thing like Wisconsin does their chants between freshmen seating and upperclassmen. We have our students and our alumni getting into that chant. We just need to use it throughout the game and not just before the game starts. And use it for basketball too!

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 553
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 2

There is no way I am going to sit down when a guy is shooting a free throw; what a dumb idea. Its gonna look pretty stupid when some people decide to sit, while everyone else is still standing and making noise.

The C-Y chant and "We Strongly disagree" will never go over.

After that little rant, I cant wait for Friday.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 554
    Given: 1,069

1) Sit-Down The Alley will all be standing and cheering as loud as possible, waving arms around, etc. When cued by one of the Cyclone Alley Central members, everyone will sit down as the player is just about to shoot the ball. (Seems kind of childish when I envision it...)[

* The key to these working is to watch for your cues from members of Cyclone Alley Central. Before each free throw, they will hold up a card letting you know which motion we will be using. Great, why don't we just come up with hand/arm signals and turn these guys in to Yell Leaders?
    I like this idea .... is it unique?

-keep.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Not to get all nerdy but studies actually show that unified movement in one direction is slightly more distracting than everyone waving their arms a different direction so I think it's good they're trying to get everyone to do the same thing.

Of course judging from past games 14,000 people screaming their lungs out is the most distracting of all.

Addict
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 694
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 2

Referee Calls: As a section, if there is a call we don't like, we will chant "We Strongly Disagree," rather than the obscenities that have been used in the past. We will clap on each syllable. (Rumor is that Cyclone Alley has been taken over by CRU...)
    The sit-down is something that we are going to try that is very unique in that there really isn't anyone who does it, (as far as I know). The vision is to have everyone go wild and then sit as a group when cued, so that there is a depth perception miscue by the opposing player shooting free throws which will hopefully lead to a missed free throw. Don't diss it until you try it. And if you don't try it, well then you will be doing your part in making Cyclone Alley look stupid.

As for the "We strongly disagree!" chant, this is something to replace the "Bullsh*t!" chant that students love to chant whenever they have the chance. Sure it may be fun to some, but it really tarnishes the reputation of not only Cyclone Alley, but all of Iowa State University as well. There are plenty of familes (i.e., children) at the games who do not need to hear harsh language from Cyclone Alley. It's not just Cyclone Alley that wants to get rid of it, ISU President Gregory Geoffroy as well as Jamie Pollard have approached Cyclone Alley in the past and basically told us to find a way to stop it. It's just not good for the university. By replacing it with a "witty" chant like this one, we can still express our disliking of the refs without making us look stupid. You will see plenty of smiles and laughs from the crowd if we can change this - not to mention, compliments.

Anyways, I can't wait for the first game to start!

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Actually, I think if you just chanted "DIS-a-gree" with the emphasis on the first syllable, it could be pretty cool.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Only a student organization would try to get everyone to sit down at the same time. I have an idea. Rename the place Carver Hawkeye. They do the sit down deal the whole game...

Clones Rule

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dbronco7sc View Post
    I think the Cyclone Power one sounds really good in the football stadium however. I didn't think I'd like it at first because I thought Cyclone Power just sounds kinda corny... but the roar of the crowd shifting from one side to the other is amazing. The coolest part about it is it's not just a student section thing like Wisconsin does their chants between freshmen seating and upperclassmen. We have our students and our alumni getting into that chant. We just need to use it throughout the game and not just before the game starts. And use it for basketball too!
    Cyclone Power is really similar to a chant they do in Austin. One side shouts "Fight" and the other shouts "Texas". When they get it going, it's pretty impressive even to a fan in the visitor section. I can't imagine what it's like on the field.

I really hope this chant takes off, and we use it during games.

Addict
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    The sit-down is something that we are going to try that is very unique in that there really isn't anyone who does it, (as far as I know). The vision is to have everyone go wild and then sit as a group when cued, so that there is a depth perception miscue by the opposing player shooting free throws which will hopefully lead to a missed free throw. Don't diss it until you try it. And if you don't try it, well then you will be doing your part in making Cyclone Alley look stupid.
    I'll have to see it before I buy into it. Right now, it sounds awkward. Per your description, however, it sounds like it could work.

As for the "We strongly disagree!" chant, this is something to replace the "Bullsh*t!" chant that students love to chant whenever they have the chance. ... By replacing it with a "witty" chant like this one, we can still express our disliking of the refs without making us look stupid. You will see plenty of smiles and laughs from the crowd if we can change this - not to mention, compliments.
    This is the only thing I have a problem with. "We strongly disagree" sounds like it was written by someone's mom. Something more creative like "Fix Your Glasses!" is a lot better, or even "Get The Call Right!" You're on the right track by eliminating profanity from the students during a game where families are present, but no one's going "strongly disagree".

Go Sssssssssyclones!