Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Educational question on prisoners

If you are given the oppertunity to go to prison to give your time to educate prisoners in all fields of education. To help get there GED to make them a better person. Would you do this volunterly? It turns out that if educated they will not return for the most. There for they are more likely to get a real job and be benificial to everyone around them.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Re: Educational question on prisoners

Either that or they'll be come genius super villains. Maybe you can live with that, but I don't think I could.

It's Bushbama!

2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

Rookie
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 4

Most of the inmates that do go to "class" use the opportunity to stay in touch with their friends that are also in jail or prison. Most of it is time used to pass notes and information on to friends. A lot of inmates will thell you that when they left prison, they just figured out how to be better criminals.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 464

Nah not for me. I have enough fun trying to teach middle school in Houston.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,219
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 121

From my experience being around Hawkeye athletes and fans, I find that they are unteachable so I wouldn't waste my time.

You can't fix STUPID......

Speechless
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,601
    Given: 760

I don't think education is something you can "do" to someone, and if that is the case, then it will surely fail. If a prisoner actively seeks to change his/her life and direction, then helping them to do so is a noble cause.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,601
    Given: 760

To further that thought, I think spiritual (religious or otherwise) teaching can address the root causes more than purely educational training.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,213
    Given: 1,830

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    To further that thought, I think spiritual (religious or otherwise) teaching can address the root causes more than purely educational training.
    I agree here. That's where I would focus my time/attention.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dave19642006 View Post
    If you are given the oppertunity to go to prison to give your time to educate prisoners in all fields of education. To help get there GED to make them a better person. Would you do this volunterly? It turns out that if educated they will not return for the most. There for they are more likely to get a real job and be benificial to everyone around them.
    I did this job for 3.5 years, for pay. I would probably volunteer to do it again, if my time/job would allow it. But having said that, here's a couple thoughts:

1. If you decide to do it, be very, very aware of the rules of the institution. Violating them can mean that YOU get to go to prison.

2. Inmates will sense your desire to help/be a decent human being, and will use it against you. They are master manipulators and incredibly clever. What they will try to do is to get you to violate #1, above in a small way, so they can blackmail you into doing it in a big way.

3. I believe in education, but I don't believe that lack of education is why criminals are criminals. If you learn how to separate these two things, and still want to deliver GED instruction to inmates, you can actually do some good. If not, it's just a matter of time before inmates trick you into violating the rules.

It sucks, but it's the truth, as far as I can see it. Been there, done that.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Dave19642006 View Post
    I probably would. For pay, (ie: average teaching salary) volunteer I probably wouldn't because of the time that I feel I would need to allocate to it.
    I don't think education is something you can "do" to someone, and if that is the case, then it will surely fail. If a prisoner actively seeks to change his/her life and direction, then helping them to do so is a noble cause.
    You are correct. You can't "make" someone learn or even make them want to learn if there isn't some sort of homlife support of that idea.
    I could respond with a "well, duh" because the premise of those educations is to increase morals (generally) than it is to do much else (ie: feed into a selfish mentality)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I did this job for 3.5 years, for pay. I would probably volunteer to do it again, if my time/job would allow it. But having said that, here's a couple thoughts:

1. If you decide to do it, be very, very aware of the rules of the institution. Violating them can mean that YOU get to go to prison.

2. Inmates will sense your desire to help/be a decent human being, and will use it against you. They are master manipulators and incredibly clever. What they will try to do is to get you to violate #1, above in a small way, so they can blackmail you into doing it in a big way.

3. I believe in education, but I don't believe that lack of education is why criminals are criminals. If you learn how to separate these two things, and still want to deliver GED instruction to inmates, you can actually do some good. If not, it's just a matter of time before inmates trick you into violating the rules.

1 and 2 is true for virtually all students, not just inmates. Three is especially true because I had a few students that were smart as heck that continued on criminal paths.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,213
    Given: 1,830

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post

I wish this weren't true, but he's right on the money.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/