Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Iowa State has talent coming

I live in Northeast iowa near north fayette high school iowa state should look into this team they averaged 51 pionts a game all their backs averged over 8 yds a carry and their leading rusher mike moseris headed to iowa state but may not play football he's a strong speedy back with a lot of power i think iowa state should be recruiting more within the state.
    Class 2A district 4 also has a huge fullback who can catch passes and run over people too.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Re: Iowa State has talent coming

West Union isn't exactly a recruiting hotbed.

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Backs have a hard time rushing without someone to block successfully.

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9

Exclamation Re: Iowa State has talent coming

One of my nephews averaged over 8 YPC for a playoff-qualifying 4A school in Wisconsin several years ago and got no interest from D1A schools, due to his size (5'7) and perceived lack of speed (4.55). I wrote Mac a letter about him and I understand ISU did make contact, but they weren't even interested in him as a "preferred walk-on". He's had a nice career at UW-Eau Claire and I'll see him play his final college game in a couple weeks at UW-Platteville.

I love it when small-school kids have success at ISU (ie - Lane Danielson), but small-school success does not always translate to Big XII talent level! Heck, big-school success does not always translate to a major college scholarship. Ben Evans of City High in Iowa City was 4A First Team All-State in 2006, won multiple speed events at the Drake Relays, and is a "walk-on" at EIU.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Rookie
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 283
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Block920 View Post
    I live in Northeast iowa near north fayette high school iowa state should look into this team they averaged 51 pionts a game all their backs averged over 8 yds a carry and their leading rusher mike moseris headed to iowa state but may not play football he's a strong speedy back with a lot of power i think iowa state should be recruiting more within the state.
    Class 2A district 4 also has a huge fullback who can catch passes and run over people too.
    No offense, but if anything, I think we need to recruit LESS out of the state of Iowa. High school football here doesn't exactly compare to Texas/California/etc.

Heck, the best WR/RB in Minnesota high school football his last 2 seasons went to my high school, and he is only a #2-3 WR on Nebraska right now as a r-s Sophomore. Man by the name of Nate Swift.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 2

Just going by the numbers... there's simply a smaller population in Iowa, so statistically there will be less recruits available who would be great at the college level. And that's not saying anything about Iowa, just that there are less people here.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I think if you are coming from a small school, you had better have some impressive stats outside yards per carry or number of tackles. Size, speed, strength had better be impressive.

When you come out of a big school, you have already competed with a bunch of kids to get a starting job, and the competition you competed with had done the same. An all state running back out of a high school with 2000 kids and an 8 yd/att avg is a whole lot more impressive than one doing the same thing at a high school with 200 (or 20?) kids.

I can remember very well the recruiting process. If you have size, speed, and strength, and your coach is connected and committed to your success AT ALL, you will get attention from recruiters, even at a small school. If you are missing any one of these three pieces, you will struggle to even get return phone calls, regardless of your performance on the field. Big schools are looking for raw material out of high school, not finished product. Atheletes they can mold and make into what they want. Game stats will get recruiters to look at your size, speed, and strength, little more.

All that said, I love a story of any kid being overlooked and beating the odds and doing well at the next level. It's not easy.

The Portland, Oregon cyclone fan
    Class of 91

If life isn't fun, your doing it wrong.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Skyh13 View Post
    Just going by the numbers... there's simply a smaller population in Iowa, so statistically there will be less recruits available who would be great at the college level. And that's not saying anything about Iowa, just that there are less people here.
    Yeah, but in CA or Texas you have some stiff recruiting competition. Basically, the entire Pac 10 recruits out of CA, as the Big XII south does in Texas. California has something like 1/8 of the entire country's population, but that is some stiff competition.

The further you get from your school, the harder recruiting is. In Iowa, Mac only has to compete with EIU, kids are close to home, etc. If I were the coach, I would target Minneapolis, Chicago, Saint Louis, and Kansas City, Desmoines, quad cities. Major population centers within a day or so's drive of the school. And of course take a good look at every small town stud in the state.

The Portland, Oregon cyclone fan
    Class of 91

If life isn't fun, your doing it wrong.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 404
    Given: 293

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Power View Post
    No offense, but if anything, I think we need to recruit LESS out of the state of Iowa. High school football here doesn't exactly compare to Texas/California/etc.

Heck, the best WR/RB in Minnesota high school football his last 2 seasons went to my high school, and he is only a #2-3 WR on Nebraska right now as a r-s Sophomore. Man by the name of Nate Swift.
    I think we need to check these diamonds in the rough out. Danny Woodhead , however, was well known and received no offer.

To me, McC likes to two star recruit people with lots of heart. Maybe so he does not have to inspire them as much in a game.

The running backs we have in camp are nothing to write home about oline or no oline. Altogether, we may have 1150 yards rushing. TROY USED TO DOUBLE THAT.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Starter
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 319
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

As much as I don't like North Fayette, they are a good team. I'm from Sumner, so I had the chance to watch/play them. They had a linebacker, Suckow go to Iowa as a preferred walk-on this year. I am pretty sure an Iowa recruiter actually came to see Moser and the other guys in school one day. It would be kinda cool to see them play somewhere.