Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 17,739, Level: 40
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,047
    Points
    17,739
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    The Give Mac One More Year Group.

    There seems to be a set of fans who want McCarney to have one more year. Some think he has earned it (e.g. Omaha World Herald article). Some see a sort of symmetry in allowing him to coach Meyer and Blythe's senior year. Some just think he's a nice guy!!!! (Soundoff caller).

    Anyway, these are not sound reasons to keep him an additional year. Next year's team may have serviceable enough talent to actually make a bowl game (if we can patch together a decent O-line that is), which is a great reason to pass the baton now and get it over with.

    Rant over.



  2. #2
    Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    dccyclone25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    255
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The Give Mac One More Year Group.

    Quote Originally Posted by ericlambi View Post
    There seems to be a set of fans who want McCarney to have one more year. Some think he has earned it (e.g. Omaha World Herald article). Some see a sort of symmetry in allowing him to coach Meyer and Blythe's senior year. Some just think he's a nice guy!!!! (Soundoff caller).

    Anyway, these are not sound reasons to keep him an additional year. Next year's team may have serviceable enough talent to actually make a bowl game (if we can patch together a decent O-line that is), which is a great reason to pass the baton now and get it over with.

    Rant over.
    I don't really understand the "senior year for Meyer and Blythe" reason at all anyways. So how are the guys who will be juniors next year supposed to feel, that Mac wants to coach Meyer and Blythe, but that they're not important enough to stay for. On top of that, how good of a job is Mac going to be able to do, knowing that it's his last year? And recruiting would suffer terribly, knowing that Mac wasn't going to be there (not like it was that great to begin with).



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 79,136, Level: 87
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,014
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    twojman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    4,445
    Points
    79,136
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 34

    Re: The Give Mac One More Year Group.

    I have posted this elsewhere, but I feel next season is a throw away season. As much as I hate to say it, ISU will probably not win a whole lot of games next season. This is the reason I say get a new coach in ASAP! The new coach can try and salvage some sort of recruiting since ISU has something like 20 scholarships to JUCO's. (not good)

    A new coach would be able to implement his schemes to the players sooner, instill his philosophy's and get to know and fratenize with the fanbase. Building relationships will be huge for the next coach.

    I see way too many negatives keeping the current regime. Recruiting obviously suffers with all the JUCO's, no new coachs will come in with a "dead man walking" type coach. A fanbase torn asunder that will not support the program like it should be. I also feel that there are players that do not trust the coaching staff, no matter what anyone says. (I have no inside info or anything, just the way I see the players on the field.)

    Thoughts anyone?



  4. #4
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The Give Mac One More Year Group.

    I agree. At this point there is no reason to keep McCarney. Next year is not going to be pretty. So if McCarney is still here then we will be going through this exact same crap next year. Everybody calling for McCarney to be fired.

    We need to cut our loses now and move forward.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 730,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,575
    Points
    730,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,399
    Given: 659

    Re: The Give Mac One More Year Group.

    Loyalty. Appreciation for past accomplishments. That is enough reason for me.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 22,781, Level: 46
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CY ST8T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,553
    Points
    22,781
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The Give Mac One More Year Group.

    This rep level is a joke, but get ready for yours to drop pride after that comment. I won't knock it, because I feel the same as you. But I made a comment similar to that about loyalty to the program and ended up with a pile of those bold people who leave you negative and don't comment or leave there name or anything.


    ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!


    Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

  7. #7
    Walk On
    Points: 9,094, Level: 28
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    174
    Points
    9,094
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The Give Mac One More Year Group.

    I wasn't on any Cyclone forums back in 2003, but what were people saying about McCarney back then? DM had three good years then a terrible year plagued by injuries, now he's had two good years and another terrible year plagued by injuries. Is there really that much difference from 2003 to 2006?

    He's done enough for ISU to try again next year, it could turn out great or could turn out terrible, he bounced back from 2003 well enough though.



  8. #8
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 277,040, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    16,389
    Points
    277,040
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 366
    Given: 152

    Re: The Give Mac One More Year Group.

    I trust that Jamie Pollard will make the right decision. I will support this team next year no matter who the coach is.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 337,342, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,917
    Points
    337,342
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 215

    Re: The Give Mac One More Year Group.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Loyalty. Appreciation for past accomplishments. That is enough reason for me.
    Don't we as Cyclone fans rip on the Huskers for their downfall. When they cite the titles and such, we respond with "past past past".

    Well, what Dan has done is in the past. That does not mean it didn't happen...yet he shouldn't get a "get out of jail free card" either.

    I love Dan for what he's done in Ames. He is exactly what this program needed to get out of the basement and get fans interested in Cyclone football again. That mission is accomplished and we're onto tackling the next one. Dan hasn't been able to get us there and in a year where expectations were high - the team has failed in a very ugly way.

    I didn't feel this way until after the Tech game and the K-State game only solidified it.

    It's time for ISU and Dan McCarney to part ways.



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 273,713, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    14,815
    Points
    273,713
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 908
    Given: 189

    Re: The Give Mac One More Year Group.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Loyalty. Appreciation for past accomplishments. That is enough reason for me.
    I think it would be alot easier on everyone if McCarney just resigned at seasons end. I really dont see this happening, but it would make Pollard's life a whole hell of alot more easier if he did!



  11. #11
    Rookie
    Points: 10,267, Level: 30
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 283
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    466
    Points
    10,267
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 2

    Re: The Give Mac One More Year Group.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Loyalty. Appreciation for past accomplishments. That is enough reason for me.
    Just keeping him around because of loyalty and past accomplishments, to me equates it to an abusive relationship. Dmac has brought us some success, then a major let down, he gives us some mac speak, we believe, he succeeds a little more, then another major let down. At some point you have start to think that maybe this isn't going to work out.
    BTW, don't mean to trivialize domestic abuse, the situations just seem to parallel.
    I trust JP to make the right decision.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 730,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,575
    Points
    730,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,399
    Given: 659

    Re: The Give Mac One More Year Group.

    Sorry guys, but my rep level went up more than down on that comment. There are a few more people who disagree with you guys than you might think, but who may not post to avoid the sarcasm. By the way, I don't drop the hammer on people because they disagree with me. You can marginalize Mac's accomplishments all you want to suit your argument, but I feel strongly that he deserves the benefit of the doubt. The 2 win season a little while back had everyone screaming that it was all downhill from there, and he helped the team rebound to a couple of good if not great seasons.



  13. #13
    Rookie
    Points: 8,953, Level: 28
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    GM4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    389
    Points
    8,953
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

    Re: The Give Mac One More Year Group.

    Cut the cord quicky



  14. #14
    Walk On
    Points: 6,332, Level: 23
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    127
    Points
    6,332
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The Give Mac One More Year Group.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Sorry guys, but my rep level went up more than down on that comment. There are a few more people who disagree with you guys than you might think, but who may not post to avoid the sarcasm. By the way, I don't drop the hammer on people because they disagree with me. You can marginalize Mac's accomplishments all you want to suit your argument, but I feel strongly that he deserves the benefit of the doubt. The 2 win season a little while back had everyone screaming that it was all downhill from there, and he helped the team rebound to a couple of good if not great seasons.
    If giving him one more shot means setting some expectations for next year and then getting rid of him.... I think it is delaying the inevitable and putting us one more year behind in rebuilding.

    I also don't think getting 30,000 season tickets will happen while Mac is the coach. Yes.. I will buy my season tickets again, but what about all the people that were pulled in with "hope" this year. I'm quite certain that those portion of the fans will be gone. Looking at polls on this and other boards, there are 20-25% of the people that will not get football tickets if Mac is coach.

    Keeping Mac for loyalty reasons is a nice thought, but it screws our program in the long run. I even like Mac and some of the accomplisments he has brought, but even those accomplishments are watered down because he could have accomplihsed more if his game day administration and coaching were half what it should be.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 254,054, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,677
    Points
    254,054
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 0

    Re: The Give Mac One More Year Group.

    What if he fails in "tremendous" fashion next year? Then will you be able to cut the ties easily? I still don't think so.

    Again... I'm not really sure of my opinion on whether I think he should be fired or not. This season is a huge downer to be sure, but he did rebound before and he might again. I have to say I truly don't think the team will rebound and Blythe probably would have been better served going pro after last year. That makes me sad.

    That being said, not much makes me happy about our football team right now.

    Also, I think that the fanbase and program has shown him plenty of loyalty through the years (first five seasons, 2003) and I understand that people feel the need to cut him loose. And I don't think people are unappreciative of him, I myself am very thankful for the good times I had since 2000. It has been something that my wife and I have enjoyed together and truly brought us closer together as a couple.

    That being said, I haven't derived an ounce of fun from watching this team this season. It started out with a great deal of hope, worry after the first 4 games, disappointment in the new few, to downright apathy. I never thought I'd say this, but I really don't give a rip right now. I honestly feel terrible when I think about the players, because we've heard nothing about them not working hard and trying to improve. I really want them to have some fun and win this weekend, I just don't think it will happen.




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State @ Oklahoma State
  • October 4, 2014
  • 11:00 AM