Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Help a brother out; Children's burn clinic in Iraq

So, I have a military/internet buddy who's a medic. He just arrived at LSA SCANIA in Iraq a couple weeks ago, and he discovered a children's burn clinic there, that needs some serious help. He sent me this e-mail today, asking for help. Nothing special, and no cash, just basic OTC drugs, bandages, kids clothing and toys. If anyone feels the need to contribute, here is a copy of his letter and his APO address. He'll gladly take anything you care to send that a burned child could use.

"Hello Everyone! Just got to Camp Scania here in balmy Iraq and as you all know, there is a Burn Center here that is totally dedicated to the treatment of Iraqi civilians who have suffered tramatic burns. Most of these victims are children.

I am with SOC and we are providing the force protection on Camp Scania. We have taken a personal interest in improving this facility as it is totally ran and operated by VOLUNTEERS.

Up until last week, there wasn't a triage area at this clinic and a little girl died because the medics were not aware of her injuries. With this being said, there has to be changes made fast!!!

What we are looking for is simple. Any medical supplies that you can spare and toys. If you are in country, APO to APO shipping is free. Don't really expect any of you guys who are OCONUS to have any childrens clothes, but all of you who are CONUS, send them if you don't need them. Any shape, any size.

Anything you send will be greatly appreciated."

Jimmy Compton
    SOC
    CSC Scania
    APO/AE 09331

Again, folks, please don't send any prohibited items, and no cash. We don't need to get Mr. Compton in trouble, or me, for that matter.

Thanks a bunch!

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Walk On
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 273
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Help a brother out; Children's burn clinic in Iraq

bump bump

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

I'm President of the Nome Rotary Club. I could propose that our club consider this as an international service project.

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Anyone know how to convert a pptx to a pps? I have a slide show that someone else made up about this same clinic, but they helpfully put it on "craptastic" pptx.

I'm already e-mailing a copy of it to keepngoal. Anyone else wants a copy, I'll send it to them, just IM me.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Update: A doctor who occasionally has worked at CSC Scania has weighed in on suggested donations. (This is currently a going discussion on another web forum I post to) and he made the following post, which contradicts slightly, the initial post I made. Here it is in its entirety:

"Donations can be supplies or money... every penny will be publicly accounted for!

We send regular shipments to Iraq for our company guys and if you wish to send supplies to me rather than direct to Iraq I will shoe-horn them in on a space-a basis. Or, send to Jimmy at his APO address above - the USPS has flat rate APO boxes now that you can get a lot of stuff into!

We have $5,000 worth of medical supplies ordered for this project, as most is RX.

If individuals want to donate I suggest kiddie MWR stuff (NOTHING religious in any way please!):
    Crayons
    Coloring books
    Balls (deflate please)
    Flip flops
    Ball caps
    English readers e.g. the old McGuffy 'see spot run' type
    Toys & stuffed animals
    Toothbrushes, combs, hairbrushes, nail clippers
    Pre-addressed/stamped post cards the kids can write on and send back to you!
    Blank postcards with pics of your part of the world on it.
    Pics of your kids - Iraqi kids are VERY curious about how kids in other parts of the world live & love to see mom/dad/kid family pics

I REALLY hope to be able to drop in and work at Scania for a while on my next Iraq visit... will be in the fall, I'll be in Pakistan most of the summer... "
    I'm particularly motivated to support and promote this cause, because at the age of 13, I spent extensive time in a children's burn clinic. Believe me, nothing sucks harder than having extensive 3d degree burns as a kid.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

An update to the update:

The powerpoint presentation in pps AND in pdf is now available on-line at

Pontiac - Waterford Elks 810 Supports the Scania Burn Center

Just a warning - don't open pdf or powerpoint slideshow, unless you have a strong stomach, and the little ones are watching. There are some pretty graphic images in there. The link is completely safe, and you can view the words from the show, without viewing the images, if you'd like.

Thanks a bunch, guys!!!!

Last edited by Phaedrus; 05-10-2008 at 05:21 AM.