Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 12

Re: A good article from the Omaha paper

Again, another writer from an area with a program that has truly been successful in recent memory telling us how great we have it with McCarney. We're 8-21 in our last 29 conference games. Yeah, its been great.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

By Tom Shatel:

Dan McCarney should get to coach Iowa State again next season. What the man has accomplished there should mean something. It should earn him a marker, another chance, one last chance.
    But will Mac get it? Not necessarily.
    College football coaching is big business. Always has been, always will be. Coaches are paid to win games. No one is immune from a pink slip. Coaches know this when they sign on. None of them expects to be in the same place very long. If they're in one spot for 12 years, like McCarney, it's a bonus.
    And being the architect of a program doesn't mean you get a free pass. It means that you have to find a way to build a new addition to keep the peeps happy.
    The idea that ISU should keep McCarney because it can't get anyone better, that it should settle for him, is an insult to Iowa State and to Mac. You have to be able to sell hope to your players and boosters. You have to reach for the sky, even for ISU in the Big 12, where it takes $100 million just to sit at the table.
    McCarney would tell you that. He's been telling people for 12 years, nonstop, that it can get done in Ames.
    Sometimes a coach runs out of breath. And answers. Sometimes he hits a wall and the message no longer is heard and it's time to move on. Is that what's happening at ISU?
    You get that feeling and you wish it would have found a way to win a North Division title the past two years. The door is closing fast on that dream.
    I don't know what Athletic Director Jamie Pollard will do. He's got a rep as a no-nonsense guy, a bit heartless. That may be unfair. He changed the Iowa State hoops program on a dime, but it needed it. It was going nowhere.
    Pollard will make the hard decision. You know that. But he'd better have a coach in mind, one that he can get, before making such a change. If you are going to kick to the curb a guy like McCarney, who is the face of that athletic department and held things together when the school was changing athletic directors and basketball coaches, you'd better get it right.
    I hope that it won't come to that. I'd like to see Mac back for one more lap, with Iowa, Texas, Oklahoma, K-State and Colorado at his place next year. Let him change coordinators, offenses. Hopefully, he will find a way to get Todd Blythe the ball.
    Mac may need to finish strong this month. That's fair. He will understand. All coaches have to produce. Even Bobby Bowden, the inventor of Florida State football. Bowden won't get fired. But his seat will get hot. Eventually, all the seats get hot. It's in their contract. And their blood.
    • I hope that we aren't so enamored with four stars and five stars in recruiting that we forget about the Danny Woodheads of Nebraska. Football players, winners, come in all shapes and sizes. If you tell me that Woodhead can't play in the Big 12, I say you haven't seen the Big 12 lately.
    • I would have loved to have seen Red Auerbach coach in today's NBA, with today's free agents and millionaires. I'm guessing that he would have found a way to still light cigars.
    • I don't want to hear how West Virginia or Louisville shouldn't be in the BCS title game because they play in the Big East. We used to hear that argument about Oklahoma and Nebraska when they ran through the Big Eight. A great team is a great team, no matter the strength of its neighbors.
    • Jeremie Dupont, UNO's hot rookie goalie, was 7 years old when the program started. Think about it. It makes me feel old. How about you, Mike Kemp?
    • Peyton Manning and the Colts are undefeated again. This is getting to be like watching Greg Norman lead after the second round of the Masters.
    • No offense to Troy Smith, a great quarterback for The Ohio State University, but this is the weakest Heisman Trophy race in years. Remember last year, when they could have given out one each to Reggie Bush, Vince Young and Matt Leinart?
    • Last week, my Big 12 coach of the year was Gary Pinkel or Guy Morriss. This week it's Dennis Franchione. Stick around for next week.
    • What happened to the Nebraska tight end passing game? Is the fact that Matt Herian is not a frequent target anymore a sign that his injury changed his impact more than some of us realized?
    • The sign of the times in the Big 12 could be found behind the west end zone at Boone Pickens Stadium on Saturday: a huge crater where a new football compound and additional seats will go up, a la Memorial Stadium. Two questions: 1) The Pokes only drew 40,018 for Nebraska on Saturday, so who is going to sit in those new seats? 2) Is Pickens spending millions so OSU can finish behind Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M or can you buy your way into a title?
    • You hear a lot of baseball fans complain about the lack of parity, the way money is ruining the small market teams, how the game is tilted toward the big markets. Then, last week, you hear a lot about how the World Series was boring, no superstars, no reason to watch, etc.
    Which one is it? Do you want underdogs or not?
    It seems to me that baseball has the right formula: Reward the big markets, send the stars to New York and Boston and L.A. Those are the teams people want to watch. You can't have it both ways.

Rookie
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Again, another writer from an area with a program that has truly been successful in recent memory telling us how great we have it with McCarney. We're 8-21 in our last 29 conference games. Yeah, its been great.

Did you read the whole article? I don't agree with everything he says because he clearly would like to see dmac stay one more year. Yet he does say ISU can do better and points out there are clearly problems that could bring about his firing.

"The idea that ISU should keep McCarney because it can't get anyone better, that it should settle for him, is an insult to Iowa State and to Mac. You have to be able to sell hope to your players and boosters. You have to reach for the sky, even for ISU in the Big 12, where it takes $100 million just to sit at the table.
    McCarney would tell you that. He's been telling people for 12 years, nonstop, that it can get done in Ames.
    Sometimes a coach runs out of breath. And answers. Sometimes he hits a wall and the message no longer is heard and it's time to move on. Is that what's happening at ISU?"

How is that saying dmac is the best ISU can do?

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

THIS ARTICLE WAS VERY INSIGHTFUL AND WELL WRITTEN. MAKES THE RAG LOOK LIKE A HIGH SCHOOL PAPER.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

" Dan McCarney should get to coach Iowa State again next season. What the man has accomplished there should mean something."

I didn't say that he insinuated that Dan is the best we can do, just that he says "oh gee, Dan should get another chance" when Mac has already driven this program into the ground.

Addict
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 560
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 18

I'm kind of with ISUAlum2002 here though. I understand this guys sentiments, but, it doesn't matter to this guy one bit if ISU goes winless in the Big XII again next year. He doesn't have a vested interest in the program like the fans do. He doesn't have to sit and suffer while watching (or listening) to his team get throttled by a sub par KSU team. Yeah, it would be great if we could give 'Ol Dan one more shot at a victory lap. Problem is, there haven't been any victories to really celebrate this year. It could also do enough harm that we truly couldn't get anyone better.

It was a good article. But, I don't like people outside this program telling us what to do with it. In the end, we are the ones that have to deal with it. JP is the one who has to deal with it. I'm sick and friggin tired of people telling me that what we have is pretty good and Dan deserves better. When, for once is someone going to say, "Wow, the ISU fans have been pretty good over the years. They really deserve better."

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

"The sign of the times in the Big 12 could be found behind the west end zone at Boone Pickens Stadium on Saturday: a huge crater where a new football compound and additional seats will go up, a la Memorial Stadium. Two questions: 1) The Pokes only drew 40,018 for Nebraska on Saturday, so who is going to sit in those new seats? 2) Is Pickens spending millions so OSU can finish behind Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M or can you buy your way into a title?"

Anyone who rips on our fans- please notice that OSU only had barely more than 40,000 for their game against NU! They have their best team in years and adding on to their facilities, and still we had about 15,000 more than them against NU.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Best season in years? They are 5-3. They had a bad year last year, went 7-5 the year before, and they went 9-4 and played in the cotton bowl the year before that. We haven't even whiffed the cotton bowl before, so I don't know how you can consider that they are having their best year in years.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 937
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 29

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Eight wins in 29 conference games is pitiful, if Jamie Pollard wants to give fans hope Mac has got to do better than that! When we lose to K-State who is rebuilding things have really plummeted to the basement of the Big XII.

Jamie I'm waiting for your decision at the end of this dreadful season!

Come on Clones...Show Me Something Saturday..Beat The Jayhawks!!

Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I remember a time earlier this year when our basketball team should have and could have done a lot better, but didn't. And the coach was fired and our AD found a coach that could recruit some great talent and that has given me hope that our basketball team will be great again. I think the article is right. Pollard needs to find another great coach before letting Mac go.
    "Sometimes a coach runs out of breath. And answers. Sometimes he hits a wall and the message no longer is heard and it's time to move on. Is that what's happening at ISU?"

I think so.

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Of course, Nebraska people are good to listen to on this subject. They fired Solich after a national title (of course with Tom's players) and a 10 win season his last year.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Being from southwest Iowa we could only get the Omaha World-Herald "Iowa Edition" daily when I was growing up. The Des Moines Register is still only available on Sundays around there. Now, I'm in Ames and get the Register daily. I'm not sure which is the worse paper! The only thing the World-Herald talks about is Husker Football and that is it. I'm sure all of my fellow Cyclones from "God's Country" would share my sentiment towards the World-Herald.

We get some occasional coverage, usually bad. The "Iowa Edition" covers our high school sports a little better, but it is still all Big Red Football (VOMIT)! Trust me when I say, "Shatel sucks just as bad a Keeler." They both love to cover ISU and cast us in a negative light.

I will give Tom this one, though. Good job, about time too. I am not so sure I would say DM deserves another year no matter what happens. I would say he is lucky he wasn't canned after 2003, but other than that it was a good article.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 24

How many chances has Mac gotten?