Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 21,919, Level: 45
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 631
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    1,235
    Points
    21,919
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    ISU Football - The vision and potential

    We've all talked about the difficulties that ISU has in creating a successful FB program. For a minute though let's consider the strengths and the potential for the future:

    1. First and foremost our AD. He is strong, young, energetic and willing to take big risks to achieve success. He is demanding of himself and of those who work for him, in short a great leader.
    2. The facilities plan. This could be listed as 1a as it is a function of JP's leadership. Once the facilities plan is realized and it will be, ISU will have elevated its facilities base to at least the middle of the Big Twelve. As many others have commented, ISU will never be Texas, A&M, NU or Nebraska, but I firmly believe that we can grow this fanbase to 60,000 - 65,000 on a consistent basis to compete with the likes of Mizzou, KSU, KU, Baylor, CU, OSU, and TT.
    2. The fanbase. I might get flack for saying this, but I view the ISU FB fanbase as a strength in that they have suffered nearly 30 years of horrible to average FB and have kept coming back for more. The UNI and NU games and the season ticket sales this year illustrated the potential strength of this fanbase when a better product is put on the field.
    3. The Des Moines market. If you are generous in your definition of the metro area, you arrive at roughly 450,000 people in a very short driving distance from Ames. The Des Moines area is growing and is occasionally mentioned in publications as one of the most attractive medium-sized communities to live in anywhere in the country. ISU needs to tap into DM and make it into a home base.

    IMO, this program is capable of leveraging these strengths and generating a minimum of 6 wins per season (3 nonconference victories + 3 wins in conference), 8-9 wins 2 out of every 5 or 6 years, and once every decade or so 9-10 wins and a shot at a conference championship. If ISU can build a FB program that can produce on that basis, I believe it can accomplish average attendance in the 60 -65 K range and solve all of the money issues that have rehashed as naseum on this and every other board.


    URBCLONE

  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 277,280, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    15,153
    Points
    277,280
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,140
    Given: 221

    Re: ISU Football - The vision and potential

    I dont think the JTS renovations are going to increase seating capacity are they? At least that was the way I understood it. So i dont think we will be able to get average attendance anywhere over 50k-55k.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 489,284, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    32,922
    Points
    489,284
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,124
    Given: 805

    Re: ISU Football - The vision and potential

    Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    We've all talked about the difficulties that ISU has in creating a successful FB program. For a minute though let's consider the strengths and the potential for the future:

    1. First and foremost our AD. He is strong, young, energetic and willing to take big risks to achieve success. He is demanding of himself and of those who work for him, in short a great leader.
    2. The facilities plan. This could be listed as 1a as it is a function of JP's leadership. Once the facilities plan is realized and it will be, ISU will have elevated its facilities base to at least the middle of the Big Twelve. As many others have commented, ISU will never be Texas, A&M, NU or Nebraska, but I firmly believe that we can grow this fanbase to 60,000 - 65,000 on a consistent basis to compete with the likes of Mizzou, KSU, KU, Baylor, CU, OSU, and TT.
    2. The fanbase. I might get flack for saying this, but I view the ISU FB fanbase as a strength in that they have suffered nearly 30 years of horrible to average FB and have kept coming back for more. The UNI and NU games and the season ticket sales this year illustrated the potential strength of this fanbase when a better product is put on the field.
    3. The Des Moines market. If you are generous in your definition of the metro area, you arrive at roughly 450,000 people in a very short driving distance from Ames. The Des Moines area is growing and is occasionally mentioned in publications as one of the most attractive medium-sized communities to live in anywhere in the country. ISU needs to tap into DM and make it into a home base.

    IMO, this program is capable of leveraging these strengths and generating a minimum of 6 wins per season (3 nonconference victories + 3 wins in conference), 8-9 wins 2 out of every 5 or 6 years, and once every decade or so 9-10 wins and a shot at a conference championship. If ISU can build a FB program that can produce on that basis, I believe it can accomplish average attendance in the 60 -65 K range and solve all of the money issues that have rehashed as naseum on this and every other board.
    The only downside to Des Moines is the Register is 90% black and gold 10% cardinal and gold.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 340,534, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    32,186
    Points
    340,534
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 408
    Given: 255

    Re: ISU Football - The vision and potential

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    The only downside to Des Moines is the Register is 90% black and gold 10% cardinal and gold.
    And we've had 10% of the success that Iowa has experienced.

    What do you expect?



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 489,284, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    32,922
    Points
    489,284
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,124
    Given: 805

    Re: ISU Football - The vision and potential

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    And we've had 10% of the success that Iowa has experienced.

    What do you expect?
    Well, considering we're 10 times closer I'd like at least 65-35!


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,308, Level: 75
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,075
    Points
    59,308
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU Football - The vision and potential

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    I dont think the JTS renovations are going to increase seating capacity are they? At least that was the way I understood it. So i dont think we will be able to get average attendance anywhere over 50k-55k.
    I think they're adding about 3000 seats, but I'm not sure what the hillsides on the south end hold now.


    Seneca Wallace.

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 340,534, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    32,186
    Points
    340,534
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 408
    Given: 255

    Re: ISU Football - The vision and potential

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Well, considering we're 10 times closer I'd like at least 65-35!
    Well I think we both know the 90/10 you cited is far from the truth and was a vast exaggeration.

    65/35 is more like it.

    With what we've put on the field this year - we don't even deserve that.



  8. #8
    Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    clone33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SE Iowa
    Posts
    432
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU Football - The vision and potential

    Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    We've all talked about the difficulties that ISU has in creating a successful FB program. For a minute though let's consider the strengths and the potential for the future:

    1. First and foremost our AD. He is strong, young, energetic and willing to take big risks to achieve success. He is demanding of himself and of those who work for him, in short a great leader.
    2. The facilities plan. This could be listed as 1a as it is a function of JP's leadership. Once the facilities plan is realized and it will be, ISU will have elevated its facilities base to at least the middle of the Big Twelve. As many others have commented, ISU will never be Texas, A&M, NU or Nebraska, but I firmly believe that we can grow this fanbase to 60,000 - 65,000 on a consistent basis to compete with the likes of Mizzou, KSU, KU, Baylor, CU, OSU, and TT.
    2. The fanbase. I might get flack for saying this, but I view the ISU FB fanbase as a strength in that they have suffered nearly 30 years of horrible to average FB and have kept coming back for more. The UNI and NU games and the season ticket sales this year illustrated the potential strength of this fanbase when a better product is put on the field.
    3. The Des Moines market. If you are generous in your definition of the metro area, you arrive at roughly 450,000 people in a very short driving distance from Ames. The Des Moines area is growing and is occasionally mentioned in publications as one of the most attractive medium-sized communities to live in anywhere in the country. ISU needs to tap into DM and make it into a home base.

    IMO, this program is capable of leveraging these strengths and generating a minimum of 6 wins per season (3 nonconference victories + 3 wins in conference), 8-9 wins 2 out of every 5 or 6 years, and once every decade or so 9-10 wins and a shot at a conference championship. If ISU can build a FB program that can produce on that basis, I believe it can accomplish average attendance in the 60 -65 K range and solve all of the money issues that have rehashed as naseum on this and every other board.
    Thats good, I'll expect the spreadsheet and project overview on my desk by Thursday

    All jokes aside, your 100% right. The only real negative is our geography. As Pointed out in another thread (and many times before), it is pretty difficult to recruit top tier talent to Ames. Which is why in-state recruiting is such a huge (dis)advantage to us. That obstacle can even be overcome if JP makes the right hire this winter. Hypothetically, a guy like Chuck Long would definately help us recruit in Iowa. It would also strengthen our fanbase having someone with Iowa connections come in and try to rebuild our program. IMHO.


    God Bless America

  9. #9
    Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    dccyclone25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    255
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU Football - The vision and potential

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Well, considering we're 10 times closer I'd like at least 65-35!
    Whatever the ratio is, a team has to earn it. We can't be something to talk about just because we're 1 of 2 teams in the state (sorry UNI people, but no one in 1-A really cares).



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 489,284, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    32,922
    Points
    489,284
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,124
    Given: 805

    Re: ISU Football - The vision and potential

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Well I think we both know the 90/10 you cited is far from the truth and was a vast exaggeration.

    65/35 is more like it.

    With what we've put on the field this year - we don't even deserve that.
    Darn it, you got me


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 41,438, Level: 62
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    tec71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    1,220
    Points
    41,438
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 7

    Re: ISU Football - The vision and potential

    What you are missing out on in your list, and probably the primary key factor to success in college sports, is recruits. Des Moines might be close enough to draw fans from but (aside from a few people on this board who think otherwise) fan don't win ballgames.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 17,318, Level: 40
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    frontrangeclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    5,521 ft above sea level
    Posts
    1,270
    Points
    17,318
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU Football - The vision and potential

    Irregardless of what JTS's capacity will be, even if we are consistently in the 50-55k range, with the potential to push 60k, that would be amazing in my book. Bowling in JTS gives the stadium a more prestigious look, (see facilities master plan on cyclones.com). I was pickled tink when I saw those artist renditions. I think with a visionary AD like JP, the Des Moines market will get tapped into more and more. And, the more success the team has, perhaps more fans/alums living in the larger metros surrounding Iowa will drive in for games. Omaha, KC, Chicago, Mpls/St Paul. Cripes I know a lot of Nebraskans who drive from freaking denver to lincoln on a weekend for a game, and you see a crapload of Iowa alum on I-88 in the fall driving to Iowa City.


    I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

    Thomas Jefferson, 1802

  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 47,419, Level: 67
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    ISU_Alum_2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    Posts
    1,953
    Points
    47,419
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU Football - The vision and potential

    I grew up in DM, live in Southern California now, and I CAN'T WAIT to see the South endzone of JTS bowled in. It will finally make our stadium look like a "castle" that our boys would be proud to protect.

    The high-income-earners in DM are intelligent people - they (along with Cyclone fans everywhere) would be more than happy to make a smart investment in a program that could bring excitement to a city that would be happy to adopt it, if the product and the plan behind it were attractive.

    Des Moines is a perfect market to support a great CF program (think Norman and OKC).

    I think it can happen, we just need lead the way with our support of the program. We need to start showing people that we believe in the program, regardless of the coaching situation. It will be tough for fringe fans to get on board with a bunch of fans with no faith or spirit.

    Don't confuse my faith in the program (JP), with my faith in Mac, but you get my point...

    What do you think is a more attractive attitude to get behind:

    a.) We suck, and our coaches suck, and we should be better!

    or

    b.) We know we can be a good program, and we know we're having some serious problems right now, but we believe in our program and our AD, and we KNOW that we can be a relevant team in D-1 College Football.

    ?



  14. #14
    Rookie
    Points: 9,463, Level: 29
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 487
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    GM4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    392
    Points
    9,463
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 6

    Re: ISU Football - The vision and potential

    Trust Pollard .......and pony up some bucks



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 51,695, Level: 70
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 855
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    4,085
    Points
    51,695
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 461

    Re: ISU Football - The vision and potential

    Quote Originally Posted by clone33 View Post
    Thats good, I'll expect the spreadsheet and project overview on my desk by Thursday

    All jokes aside, your 100% right. The only real negative is our geography. As Pointed out in another thread (and many times before), it is pretty difficult to recruit top tier talent to Ames. Which is why in-state recruiting is such a huge (dis)advantage to us. That obstacle can even be overcome if JP makes the right hire this winter. Hypothetically, a guy like Chuck Long would definately help us recruit in Iowa. It would also strengthen our fanbase having someone with Iowa connections come in and try to rebuild our program. IMHO.
    You are Right On, about geography. ISU is on the fringe of the Big XII conference and stuck between 2 winning football programs in Iowa and Nebraska. What Nebraska doesnt recruit Iowa does recruit.

    I would NOT hire an Iowa guy as a football coach, just to recruit the state of Iowa with its very few D-1 football players who can compete in the big 12 conference.

    Better off to hire an up and comer who has ties to the state of Texas with its high school players who are willing to come to Iowa State and be able to play in the big 12 conference.

    Boys and girls there is just NO EASY FIX to what ails this football program!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • BASKETBALL: Iowa State vs. Alabama
  • November 24, 2014
  • 08:30 PM