Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

Marty and Miller today

First of all I want to say I have been impressed with Marty and Miller since they have been back on the air. There are sometimes where Marty still does not get it, but he is getting better

Miller said today he spoke with someone this weekend that is 'in with the big donors at ISU.' Miller said this person told him that the big donors are......

....still backing McCarney! What good good has come from the last few years? Potentially 8-24 in conference the last 4 years if ISU does not win another game this year. Someone stop the madness, that is not progress. I think it is really sad that people think this is the best ISU can do. If this is the best ISU can do, I say just not put any money towards football then. I do not like the defeatist attitude. I think ISU can be a consistant bowl team with a few 9-10 seasons sprinkled in and occassionally a New Years Day Bowl with maybe even a BCS berth within the next 6-7 years. Am I being optimistic? Yes. Am I being unrealistic, I do not think so. Can ISU accomplish this easy? No. Everyone has to step up and make it happen. I think it starts at the top. Let's go ISU! Let's build some hope in the offseason, let's get the energy back that was there at the beginning of the season. Let's start a new era in ISU football!

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Re: Marty and Miller today

I wouldn't put much stake in Ken Millers ISU connections....

Pro
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    First of all I want to say I have been impressed with Marty and Miller since they have been back on the air. There are sometimes where Marty still does not get it, but he is getting better

Miller said today he spoke with someone this weekend that is 'in with the big donors at ISU.' Miller said this person told him that the big donors are......

....still backing McCarney! What good good has come from the last few years? Potentially 8-24 in conference the last 4 years if ISU does not win another game this year. Someone stop the madness, that is not progress. I think it is really sad that people think this is the best ISU can do. If this is the best ISU can do, I say just not put any money towards football then. I do not like the defeatist attitude. I think ISU can be a consistant bowl team with a few 9-10 seasons sprinkled in and occassionally a New Years Day Bowl with maybe even a BCS berth within the next 6-7 years. Am I being optimistic? Yes. Am I being unrealistic, I do not think so. Can ISU accomplish this easy? No. Everyone has to step up and make it happen. I think it starts at the top. Let's go ISU! Let's build some hope in the offseason, let's get the energy back that was there at the beginning of the season. Let's start a new era in ISU football!
    Miller's sources aren't even as good as mine, and I can guarantee you the big donors I know aren't "still backing McCarney"

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

While I imagine there are some big donors that have a personal friendship with McCarney and would like him to stay, I think the big donors donate largely to help the program be a success. No one can call the program over the last 4 years a success unless your standards are very low. Therefore, I would really doubt that the big donors, en masse, are still backing McCarney.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

To be fair, there are going to be 'big' donors backing Mac, and there are going to be 'big' donors that aren't. Just the way it works.

Which faction has the most $ to throw around may have more pull.

Big donors matter, but so do the little guys, and the fans that are on the fence. The big donors will be in the seats either way if you ask me, but that doesn't add more season tickets. Pollard wants 30k+ season tickets and if Mac is here, I just don't see that number being reached, even with next year's 'great home schedule'.

There are plans to INCREASE ticket prices next year too. Not going to get many people interested in getting season tickets with Mac on board. Just my opinion.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 104

I'd like to know who these "big donors" are. I think it's usually more like "big companies".

All-Star
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I like Marty and Miller too. They have a great chemistry going. I will however disagree with Miller on this topic. I heard a first hand story just today about this weekend, that would lead me to believe Mac is on the outs. I would put odds at 60-40 he will be let go.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Oh yeah, well my wife's sister's friend who worked at the library with a lady who is married to a former coach said that "Pollard will make the decision at the end of the year"

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

All-Star
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Regardless of the current ISU "politics" these days, I love your spirit, twojman.

Let's go ALL Cyclones! Let's dig in and turn this thing around, no matter what happens with the coaching situation!

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The real question is would any donors pull out because Mac was fired......I can't imagine they would but money does strange things to your head.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 37

WHY CAN'T WE TALK ABOUT BASEBALL? I WANT TO TALK ABOUT BASEBALL. SHOULD WE TAKE SOME CALLS ABOUT BASEBALL?

Sorry, a thread about M&M isn't complete unless someone is yelling about baseball.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 937
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 29

Quote Originally Posted by 83Clone View Post
    Miller's sources aren't even as good as mine, and I can guarantee you the big donors I know aren't "still backing McCarney"
    I Agree. A Cynic would say that Marty and Miller are 100% speculation and 10% FACTS.

Go Clones Drop The Jayhawks....Hard!!

Rookie
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

"Large Donors" come and go...their large donations are partially paid off over many years. IE. paying $250,000 to Athletic Department over 10 years for the practice facility. Unless they are large lump sum cash gifts given by corporations or very wealthy people who can afford to give that much cash away.

The "Large Donors" are not who I am worried about, it is the people that paid increased parking this year, and have to pay increase ticket prices next year when the product on the field is bad. The people that pay the increase tickets every weekend, drive up from Des Moines, pay increased parking...are going to get upset at the program ALOT faster than the "large" donors.

Some Donors are already under obligation to pay large sums of money, this year really wont affect too much, unless Pollard was after new money. This year WILL affect the new cyclone fan base in Des Moines or surrounding Ames areas.

Getting new cyclones out of Des Moines up to Ames for a game is what happened when we packed 110,000 into Jack Trice for 2 games earlier this year. I know for myself, the game this weekend against Kansas doesnt sound like much fun, except for the tailgaiting...and we have several friends who are saying the same thing....and those friends are new season ticket holders this year...who paid increase ticket prices and increased parking.

Large donors have a voice that is a lot louder than just the "fan base", which if this is true what was said on Marty and Miller, than we may be in for much of the same next year.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

All anyone needs to remeber on these shows is how are Marty and Miller's numbers are driven?

They know all too well that McCarney is rather embattled and the fan base is largely discontented. So stir the pot a little bit.

Put simply, how many phone calls and message board posts do you think that comment generated?