Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2

Scout.com Big12 Team by Team Schedule Breakdown

"These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it." - Charles Barkley

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Scout.com Big12 Team by Team Schedule Breakdown

If every team reaches their "realistic records", the B12 standings would be:

North
    Missouri 10-2
    Kansas 8-4
    Nebraska 8-4
    Kansas State 7-5
    Colorado 6-6
    ISU 5-7

South:
    Oklahoma 10-2
    Texas 9-3
    Texas Tech 9-3
    Oklahoma State 8-4
    Texas A&M 8-4
    Baylor 4-8

I can see Missouri winning the North and Texas/Oklahoma as the two best teams in the South. I can see Kansas taking a fall from last year. I think they're overly optimistic about Nebraska and A&M.

But do they realistically think 10 out of 12 conference teams will be bowl eligible? Unless every team goes undefeated in non-conference play, it's almost mathematically impossible.

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,492
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 177

MontyBurns- I thought the same thing but was too lazy to do the math. It looks like almost everyone was going to have a winning season. We have a easier schedule this year than last. Hopefully we can take advantage of that. I think 5-6 wins is not out of the question.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,345
    Given: 939

Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post
    If every team reaches their "realistic records", the B12 standings would be:

North
    Missouri 10-2
    Kansas 8-4
    Nebraska 8-4
    Kansas State 7-5
    Colorado 6-6
    ISU 5-7

South:
    Oklahoma 10-2
    Texas 9-3
    Texas Tech 9-3
    Oklahoma State 8-4
    Texas A&M 8-4
    Baylor 4-8

I can see Missouri winning the North and Texas/Oklahoma as the two best teams in the South. I can see Kansas taking a fall from last year. I think they're overly optimistic about Nebraska and A&M.

But do they realistically think 10 out of 12 conference teams will be bowl eligible? Unless every team goes undefeated in non-conference play, it's almost mathematically impossible.
    To answer your question, I think Scout is full of **** when they say that Nebraska and K-State are going to have those kinds of records. Nebraska could end up being bowl eligible, but they were horrible last year and are in the beginning stages of transitioning to an old and antiquated system. K-State is just a flat-out joke and all the JUCOs that they brought in are just more proof of that. Colorado is MUCH better than both of those two schools and will finish with a better record than any of them. Here's how I see it playing out (at best):

Colorado: 8-4 (and I think they'll go 8-4)
    Nebraska: 7-5 (more like 6-6)
    K-State: 6-6 (5-7 if they're lucky)

You can throw aTm into this mix as well, as 8-4 would be a miracle season for them (considering the new coach and all). By the time you take a REALISTIC look at these schools, you are left with 7-8 bowl teams.

Last edited by jdoggivjc; 05-01-2008 at 11:37 AM.
    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

At least we don't have any "likely losses", and Baylor has 5.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,345
    Given: 939

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonemaniac7 View Post
    At least we don't have any "likely losses", and Baylor has 5.
    I think there's just too many unknowns about this team, especially with the weak schedule that we have this year, to make any kind of valid prediction. With Chizik having a full year with this team now and the progress that the team showed last year, we could always surprise a lot of people this year ala Colorado and pull in 7-8 wins this year. Of course, with all of the new faces, this year could always be a step back for us and we end up with 3-4 wins. I think that's why the popular prediction is for us to win 5-6 games. People tend to figure we'll win at least 3 of our first 4 games, leaving us to just needing to win 2-3 conference games to meet the expectation. And with the schedule this year as weak as it is, it's a possibility (although I'm not necessarily counting on it).

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Nebraska could end up being bowl eligible, but they were horrible last year and are in the beginning stages of transitioning to an old and antiquated system.
    Hate to dissappoint ya, but the Husker offense isn't changing. IMO, just an average Nebraska defense is good for an additional 3 wins.

Pelini worked wonders with the Husker defense in 2003, turning around a defense that was horrible in 2002. Will the same hold true in 2008? Who knows.

Last edited by garn91; 05-01-2008 at 11:58 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 29

Would everyone be happy with 5 wins? I certainly would but I have seen some pretty optimistic predictions.

Starter
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by garn91 View Post
    Hate to disappoint ya, but the Husker offense isn't changing. IMO, just an average Nebraska defense is good for an additional 3 wins.

Pelini worked wonders with the Husker defense in 2003, turning around a defense that was horrible in 2002. Will the same hold true in 2008? Who knows.

Put down the crack pipe. And line up some good counseling as you and the rest of the Corn cobs are in for a serious let down this year.

4 Losses for sure. - Va Tech, Missouri, Tx Tech, Oklahoma. Toss Ups @ ISU, @ K State, Kansas, Colorado.

Absolute best case scenario 8-4. Realistic 6-6, possible 4-8, unless Western Michigan has a carry over from last years season finale and runs their win streak to 2 games. 3-9 is not out of the question. GBR!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 17

Hate to dissappoint ya, but the Husker offense isn't changing. IMO, just an average Nebraska defense is good for an additional 3 wins.

I always thought that Callahan was a bad hire. That said, he is as good as you will find at designing an offense to create mismatches. Even though some point to Watson being involved in calling some of the plays, he has yet to prove that he can design schemes as well as Callahan. The Husker skill players are not dominant enough to beat defenders one-on-one. Callahan made guys like Luckey appear better than they are by placing them in the right situation. I look for NU's offense to struggle some with 3 or 4 guys (including the AD) trying to put their stamp on the game plans.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 312
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 162

With the exception of possibly Marlon Lucky, there isn't anyone on the offensive side of the ball that will scare anyone in the Big 12. Didn't they lose pretty much all of their WR from last year? The O-line is marginal, and Joe Ganz is pretty average compared to other Big 12 QBs.

On defense, the two starting OLB (at this point) are a converted RB who's never played the position and a Sr walk-on with about 5 career tackles (I'm too lazy to look it up). Do you really think they'll be better than Ruud, Octavian, McKeon, et al? I don't. The Husker secondary got lit up repeated last year by the likes of Ball State, and I don't know why they'd be much better this year.

Good coaching can only do so much with mediocre talent, something ISU fans are experts on. I think Nebraska will soon contend for the North crown, but it won't be this year.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

1 - Missouri (9 starters return on defense and how will Missouri respond to being the hunted instead of the hunter?)

2 - Kansas (6 starters return on offense; 9 on defense rough schedule down the stretch will say alot about this team)

3 - Nebraska (Offense will be fine, an average defense, which would be a huge improvement over last year, is good for an additional 3 wins)

4 - Colorado (16 starters return, but man that schedule is brutual, if the chips fall right with an upset or 2, they could be a sleeper)

5 - Iowa St. (I was impressed with how ISU closed out last season, 15 starters return, but losing Meyer and Blythe hurts. Schedule is much easier with OU & UT gone)

6 - Kansas St. (make or break year for Kansas St. Prince bought in all of those JUCO's for a reason)

2-4 were damn tough for me to sort out and the one thing I noticed is that every team in the North but Iowa State is returning their starting QB's.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 885
    Given: 624

It must be spring - Hope springs eternal.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 17

2-4 were damn tough for me to sort out and the one thing I noticed is that every team in the North but Iowa State is returning their starting QB's.
    Not many people would consider Ganz ,a guy who only started 3 games (all because of injury to the #1), a returning starter.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Chet Culver has a better chance of being president than the corn cobs have of being 8-4.