Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 151

My thoughts (long)

Let me preface this with saying that I understand we are Iowa State. We should not expect anything better than .500 football. We should not expect a good coach. We do not have a winning tradition or money. We should be content with going 6-6 and never expect more.

Let’s take a look at the “good” years of Iowa State football (2000-present). 2000 was a breakout year, there is no denying that.

2000 – No denying it, this was a breakout year for the Cyclones. A 9-3 season capped by the school’s first ever bowl win in the Insight.com bowl against Pittsburg in Phoenix, AZ. A 5-3 conference record was the best we have done in lots and lots of years.

2001 – A good season. A 4-4 conference record with a showing against Alabama in the Independence Bowl. We had a chance to beat a storied program but a missed field goal in the final seconds squashed that thought.

2002 – “Almost” a special season. Heisman Trophy candidate Seneca Wallace leads the Cyclones to a #9 national ranking…and then…collapse. And not a cruise to a good bowl game collapse…an all out choking collapse. We end the year in Boise, ID and get whipped by BSU.

2003 – The dreaded 0-8 conference record season. I personally thought it was an anomaly, especially after the next 2 seasons.

2004 – After starting 0-3 in Big 12 play, we claw our way back to a 4-3 record with a chance to get to the Big 12 title game and no worse than the Alamo Bowl. In front of a lackluster crowd, we miss a 24 yard field goal with a minute to go and go into OT. We have 1st a goal at the 3 or 4 yard line and throw a pick to end the game. Back to Shreveport. That loss still hurts pretty badly.

2005 – We are a favorite to win the North by many predictions. Against we start out 0-3 and claw back to 4-3. We go to Kansas to play for a birth in the Big 12 title game again and repeat the Missouri game from last year. Nothing like ripping our hearts out 2 years in a row.

2006 – See 2003.

Mac’s conference record from 2000 to present is 21-32. In our “good” years, we are 11 games under .500 and the way things are going this season, you could argue that we will be 14 games under after this year.

How many chances does someone get to take that next step? We had 3 separate chances in 2001, 2003, and 2004. And we ****** all of them right down our leg.

I love Mac as a person. He is a very good person, does wonderful things for the community, and has been a great representation of Iowa State University. And all of that counts for something in my mind.

As a coach, he has had repeated chances to really put Iowa State on the map and has failed each time. We cannot put up with 2 out of the past 4 seasons where we don’t win a conference game. That is completely unacceptable.

As for Mac’s status as Iowa State’s head coach…Jamie Pollard has an agenda and a plan, and whether or not Mac fits into that plan, I will support Iowa State Football. If Mac is the HC next year, I will donate, support, discuss, and cheer for this program. If Mac is not the HC next year, I will donate, support, discuss, and cheer for this program BUT I might do it with more excitement and anticipation. Will I increase my donation (I don’t give much, but I do give something) if Mac is here? Probably not because I don’t expect a better product on the field. If there is a new HC will I increase my donation? More than likely if we hired someone to be excited about (eg. GMac).

Whatever decision JP makes, I will go with. He has earned my trust and respect. But I have to think that something needs to be done.

cyclONEnation
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 44

Re: My thoughts (long)

I still dispute that FG against 'Bama...

I agree with you Cycloneworld, I support Iowa State and it's players regardless of who is our coach.

Last edited by C.John; 10-30-2006 at 11:50 AM.

Legend
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 1,191

Quote Originally Posted by C.John View Post
    I still dispute that FG against 'Bama...
    Not me. It's the missed chip shot in the 3rd quarter that should have won that game.

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]2004 – After starting 0-3 in Big 12 play, we claw our way back to a 4-3 record with a chance to get to the Big 12 title game and no worse than the Alamo Bowl. In front of a lackluster crowd, we miss a 24 yard field goal with a minute to go and go into OT. We have 1st a goal at the 3 or 4 yard line and throw a pick to end the game. Back to Shreveport. That loss still hurts pretty badly.
    "Lackluster crowd" for the Mizzou game in 2004? I was at that game and remember the crowd was really into it early, but was numbed by the combinaton of a howling east wind and the worst example of "playing not to lose" that I've ever witnessed!

IMHO, this loss was a critical turning-point for the McCarney administration, in a distinctly negative manner. He could have learned from his mistakes (playing for the FG in regulation; calling a "jump ball" pass into the wind in OT), but he obviously didn't. That game, nearly two years ago now, was the beginning of the end...

My thoughts as to "continued support of the ISU football program" are identical to yours; I'd just like to have something to be excited about!

All-Star
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    Not me. It's the missed chip shot in the 3rd quarter that should have won that game.
    Yet, how many times over the last five or six years (or maybe longer) has our coach gotten conservative late in games, only to leave it up to our field goal kicker?! Mac does not learn from his mistakes, and there have been a lot of them!

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Our fans do not learn from our mistakes. We always get pumped up only to be let down.
    Mistake #1 with ISU football, Getting pumped up and thinking we have a chance.

Clones Rule

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 151

Quote Originally Posted by iccyfan View Post
    "Lackluster crowd" for the Mizzou game in 2004? I was at that game and remember the crowd was really into it early, but was numbed by the combinaton of a howling east wind and the worst example of "playing not to lose" that I've ever witnessed!
    Yeah, you are right...the people that were there were great. I guess I'm just still sour that we couldn't get more than 45,000 for a game to win the North and play in the Big 12 title game...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Quote Originally Posted by JJ4ISU View Post
    Yet, how many times over the last five or six years (or maybe longer) has our coach gotten conservative late in games, only to leave it up to our field goal kicker?! Mac does not learn from his mistakes, and there have been a lot of them!
    NUTSHELL
    Some coaches get conservative when they are up by 14. In our case, we are not good enough team to become conservative - not before halftime and not at end of game. Losing after becoming conservative leaves a bitter taste in everyone's mouth. That has happened often enough in 12 years to fill a lifetime.

WHAT CAN'T WE DO ON OFFENSE
    Now we cannot run when we need to, we cannot pass when we need to on third down, now we cannot call the "right" play, now we cannot outrun the charging blitzers.

WHAT CAN WE DO ON OFFENSE
    Need to find something we can do and quickly. Punting and field goals are good. Punt runbacks are good. Running back kickoffs are okay. Few penalties and few turnovers.

WHAT WE CAN'T DO DEFENSE
    Tackle in fourth quarter when we are tired. Intercepot the ball by good positioning. Blitz. Penetrate enough. Stop third down, usually passes. Sack anybody. Hold the opposition to less than 75% completion rate. Play bad fourth quarter. Get turnovers. Get hands up on front four.

WHAT WE CAN DO ON DEFENSE
    Tackle at linebacker. No pass interference penalities to speak of. Cut down on long plays. Gang tackle. Play good second quarter.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JJ4ISU View Post
    Correction: Only to leave it up to our most-unclutch-kicker-of-all-time field goal kicker.

I still have no idea how Culbertson is allowed on the field.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 721
    Given: 484

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    Let me preface this with saying that I understand we are Iowa State. We should not expect anything better than .500 football. We should not expect a good coach. We do not have a winning tradition or money. We should be content with going 6-6 and never expect more.

Let’s take a look at the “good” years of Iowa State football (2000-present). 2000 was a breakout year, there is no denying that.

2000 – No denying it, this was a breakout year for the Cyclones. A 9-3 season capped by the school’s first ever bowl win in the Insight.com bowl against Pittsburg in Phoenix, AZ. A 5-3 conference record was the best we have done in lots and lots of years.

2001 – A good season. A 4-4 conference record with a showing against Alabama in the Independence Bowl. We had a chance to beat a storied program but a missed field goal in the final seconds squashed that thought.

2002 – “Almost” a special season. Heisman Trophy candidate Seneca Wallace leads the Cyclones to a #9 national ranking…and then…collapse. And not a cruise to a good bowl game collapse…an all out choking collapse. We end the year in Boise, ID and get whipped by BSU.

2003 – The dreaded 0-8 conference record season. I personally thought it was an anomaly, especially after the next 2 seasons.

2004 – After starting 0-3 in Big 12 play, we claw our way back to a 4-3 record with a chance to get to the Big 12 title game and no worse than the Alamo Bowl. In front of a lackluster crowd, we miss a 24 yard field goal with a minute to go and go into OT. We have 1st a goal at the 3 or 4 yard line and throw a pick to end the game. Back to Shreveport. That loss still hurts pretty badly.

2005 – We are a favorite to win the North by many predictions. Against we start out 0-3 and claw back to 4-3. We go to Kansas to play for a birth in the Big 12 title game again and repeat the Missouri game from last year. Nothing like ripping our hearts out 2 years in a row.

2006 – See 2003.

Mac’s conference record from 2000 to present is 21-32. In our “good” years, we are 11 games under .500 and the way things are going this season, you could argue that we will be 14 games under after this year.

How many chances does someone get to take that next step? We had 3 separate chances in 2001, 2003, and 2004. And we ****** all of them right down our leg.

I love Mac as a person. He is a very good person, does wonderful things for the community, and has been a great representation of Iowa State University. And all of that counts for something in my mind.

As a coach, he has had repeated chances to really put Iowa State on the map and has failed each time. We cannot put up with 2 out of the past 4 seasons where we don’t win a conference game. That is completely unacceptable.

As for Mac’s status as Iowa State’s head coach…Jamie Pollard has an agenda and a plan, and whether or not Mac fits into that plan, I will support Iowa State Football. If Mac is the HC next year, I will donate, support, discuss, and cheer for this program. If Mac is not the HC next year, I will donate, support, discuss, and cheer for this program BUT I might do it with more excitement and anticipation. Will I increase my donation (I don’t give much, but I do give something) if Mac is here? Probably not because I don’t expect a better product on the field. If there is a new HC will I increase my donation? More than likely if we hired someone to be excited about (eg. GMac).

Whatever decision JP makes, I will go with. He has earned my trust and respect. But I have to think that something needs to be done.
    I've been trying to put my thoughts into words, but now I don't have to b/c you just did it for me!

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 721
    Given: 484

Quote Originally Posted by Bryceman View Post
    NUTSHELL
    Some coaches get conservative when they are up by 14. In our case, we are not good enough team to become conservative - not before halftime and not at end of game. Losing after becoming conservative leaves a bitter taste in everyone's mouth. That has happened often enough in 12 years to fill a lifetime.

WHAT CAN'T WE DO ON OFFENSE
    Now we cannot run when we need to, we cannot pass when we need to on third down, now we cannot call the "right" play, now we cannot outrun the charging blitzers.

WHAT CAN WE DO ON OFFENSE
    Need to find something we can do and quickly. Punting and field goals are good. Punt runbacks are good. Running back kickoffs are okay. Few penalties and few turnovers.

WHAT WE CAN'T DO DEFENSE
    Tackle in fourth quarter when we are tired. Intercepot the ball by good positioning. Blitz. Penetrate enough. Stop third down, usually passes. Sack anybody. Hold the opposition to less than 75% completion rate. Play bad fourth quarter. Get turnovers. Get hands up on front four.

WHAT WE CAN DO ON DEFENSE
    Tackle at linebacker. No pass interference penalities to speak of. Cut down on long plays. Gang tackle. Play good second quarter.
    You can't get called for PI when the secondary's been burned as bad as it has

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    You can't get called for PI when the secondary's been burned as bad as it has
    True, it's like saying we haven't given up many field goals........because every one just scores touchdowns on us instead.