Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Animal rights

The swiss are legislating animal rights:

From guinea-pigs to budgerigars, any animal classified as a “social species” will be a victim of abuse if it does not cohabit, or at least have contact, with others of its own kind.

The new regulation stipulates that aquariums for pet fish should not be transparent on all sides and that owners must make sure that the natural cycle of day and night is maintained in terms of light.

Anglers will also be required to complete a course on catching fish humanely, with the Government citing studies indicating that fish can suffer too.

Link:
    New Swiss law protects rights of 'social' animals - Times Online

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Re: Animal rights

German fishing hooks cannot have barbs on them, because barbs are "inhumane"....

Some people are just a "little" too far separated from "reality" if you ask me....

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Speaking of being seperated from reality... protestors are not allowed near the President because it ruins his isolation from outside thoughts that disagrees with him...

More on topic I forget where it is (I'm wanting to say France... maybe the Netherlands) if you own a dog you are required to exercise it so many hours a day...

Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 321

What can I say? I DO believe in animal rights...

...I believe every animal has the right to be thoroughly cooked in a delicious gravy...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It's rather amusing to me that the google ad that came up to the left when I opened the thread has the title of "Meat=Animal Cruelty."

In relation to the topic, things like this just further demonstrate that lots of people have no idea what 'rights' are and what sort of beings have/should have them.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Another law in Germany: It is against the law and a hefty fine to leave a dog in your yard, as having dogs outdoors for prolonged periods of time is "cruel". As a former farmkid, I gotta say WTF? to that. Our dogs LOVED being outdoors all the time, and would curl up and sleep during snowstorms, so the next morning, you had to dig them out of their snowdrift. You could always tell by the wisp of steam coming out of the drift which one they were under. (Norwegian Elkhounds).

The Australian Shepherds we had would jump up into the haymow and sleep in the hay, on the other hand.

And the country here is just teeming with people to catch you doing something wrong with your pets.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 44

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    What can I say? I DO believe in animal rights...

...I believe every animal has the right to be thoroughly cooked in a delicious gravy...
    I hear you, but I am a member of PETA......

You know, the People for the Eating of Tasty Animals....

All varmits are fair game

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Another law in Germany: It is against the law and a hefty fine to leave a dog in your yard, as having dogs outdoors for prolonged periods of time is "cruel". As a former farmkid, I gotta say WTF? to that. Our dogs LOVED being outdoors all the time, and would curl up and sleep during snowstorms, so the next morning, you had to dig them out of their snowdrift. You could always tell by the wisp of steam coming out of the drift which one they were under. (Norwegian Elkhounds).

The Australian Shepherds we had would jump up into the haymow and sleep in the hay, on the other hand.

And the country here is just teeming with people to catch you doing something wrong with your pets.
    My German office mate says this isn't true. His initial response:
    If that's a law, I am not aware of it and about half the population of Fladungen can be sued (we all have our dogs in the yard. Very often dogs are not allowed in the house).
    Then he looked it up.
    Here is what the law says: „Wer ein Tier hält, betreut oder zu betreuen hat, muss das Tier seiner Art und seinen Bedürfnissen entsprechend angemessen ernähren, pflegen und verhaltensgerecht unterbringen". (basically saying: "Those who own or take care of an animal (not only dogs) are required to feed, foster and accomodate it appropriately to the species.") So obviously, you can't keep a dog in your yard if the yard is not dog-safe but otherwise it's okay.

Interestingly, all dog websites (e.g. OpenDNS (Hunde = dogs)) suggest accomodating it in the yard and if you look on Amazon, there are even books on how to design the yard more dog-friendly. (search for "Der hundegerechte Garten"). Why would somebody write a book about something that's against the law or why would it get published?

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. ~ George Carlin

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life:
    The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves Orcs. ~ John Rogers

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CloneAggie View Post
    My German office mate says this isn't true. His initial response:
    Then he looked it up.
    Well, it is evidently illegal for American Soldiers to keep their dogs in the back yard, as the local German population makes a hobby of calling the Polizei on them, every time they leave their dogs out.

But that's not surprising, as the amount of hypocrisy in how laws are applied here is monumental. Enforcement is often "special" vis-a-vis Americans. For instance, my German neighbors routinely throw out recycleables in their trash, but whose trash do they go through to make sure there are no recycleables??? Well, me the American, of course.... After all, all Germans know that it's the Americans who don't recycle correctly, after all....

Perhaps there is some other fine point in the enforcement, as I do know of German dogs that run free in the yard, right nearby where Americans are forced to keep their dogs in, because their German neighbors call the polizei every time they let them out. And apparently, the word of a German is superior to the word of an American, in the eyes of the polizei.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Just got back from talking with the Provost Marshall - evidently the deal is that Germans are calling on the dogs on the basis that they are being "abused". In other words, it's just Germans doing the "passive-aggressive" thing using the German justice system.

As a dog fan, I know and play with some of these dogs, and can tell you they aren't being abused in any way.

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Geez, my lifestyle wouldn't go over to well in Germany. I have two dogs that live outside (they have their own dog houses). This area hasn't discovered fences yet and my dogs are not chained so they roam as they please.

"If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    German fishing hooks cannot have barbs on them, because barbs are "inhumane"....

Some people are just a "little" too far separated from "reality" if you ask me....
    You can't have barbed fishing hooks in the Florida Keys eiether...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I understand making laws to punish people who treat pets in badly. But the fishing hook thing is a little rediculous.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 206
    Given: 461

at some point in my lifetime... a gov't, somewhere, will legalize marrying an animal.... we are on the path for that reality.

-keep

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

After you catch a fish what can you legally do with it?

In this area kids bring cardboard boxes along when they go fishing. As they catch fish they thow them inside the card board boxes.