Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 7

Laptop Screen Problems

I have an old Dell Laptop Inspiron B130. Been a pretty good machine for me for a number of years. However the screen has crapped out on me this weekend without warning. I have it hooked to an external monitor right now so I can use it. When I switch between the screen only and display on both and then just the external monitor, each time it pops up like it wants to show up on the regular screen but dies in less than 1/2 a second. Then every once in a while when I open the lid, the screen comes on and stays on as long as the lid doesn't move. Any one have any thoughts? I'm assuming that the fix is to throw it away and buy a new one or use the external monitor. Appreciate any help.

"95% of all quotes posted on Facebook are either made up or mistakenly attributed to someone famous." - Albert Einstien

Burgermeister!
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 358

Re: Laptop Screen Problems

Can you make out anything on the screen when it's not working - is it the backlight that is out?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,327
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 10

I am not sure on your particular model of laptop, but I have seen on other laptops where the lcd screen does go out. Usually a screen can be replaced but unless it is still under warranty, the cost of a new laptop may not be all that much more money.

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 6

I would guess it is the back light on it. It is likely that you have a broken wire on the wiring harness that connects everything together.
    If it is the backlight you will still be able to see a image on the screen it will just be very dark.

If you can find one the harness should cost around $100. And it will likely be around $100-$200 for someone to fix it. In other words it is not worth the money to spend on it.

Starter
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 685
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by tec71 View Post
    I have an old Dell Laptop Inspiron B130. Been a pretty good machine for me for a number of years. However the screen has crapped out on me this weekend without warning. I have it hooked to an external monitor right now so I can use it. When I switch between the screen only and display on both and then just the external monitor, each time it pops up like it wants to show up on the regular screen but dies in less than 1/2 a second. Then every once in a while when I open the lid, the screen comes on and stays on as long as the lid doesn't move. Any one have any thoughts? I'm assuming that the fix is to throw it away and buy a new one or use the external monitor. Appreciate any help.
    It could be a worn ribbon cable. Over time the outer coating can wear off of the cable. When the exposed cable touches the metalic back of your screen, it shorts out. A symptom of this is when you can move the screen back and forth and can get it to sporatically work as the cable will sometimes short out.

Here is a link explaining how to take the display apart if you feel like exploring.

Laptop LCD Removal Instructions: Dell Inspiron B130, 15.4"

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

I support a lot of Dell laptops, and on several Latitudes, (assume inspirons must be similar,) at times, the connector to the system board, can come slightly loose, if you remove the keyboard, you can try reseating the lcd panel connection, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 877
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 7

Thanks for the ideas. We don't carry it around much. The battery has been completely dead for several years. I will think about breaking out the old EE skills and seeing what I can do with the ribbon or the connector to the system board, all of which are long outside my ability despite the degree on my wall. (after I back everything up of course). If I can't I'll probably just buy a cheap flat screen, so I can use the one that it's hooked to now to watch tv. Or I can just use my rebate I got last night from the Feds to buy a new one.

"95% of all quotes posted on Facebook are either made up or mistakenly attributed to someone famous." - Albert Einstien