AMES, Iowa Former Iowa State linebacker Alvin "Ace" Bowen knew it was coming.* When the Buffalo Bills selected the first-team all-Big 12 defender as the 147th player overall and the 12th in the fifth round of NFL Draft Sunday, he had advance warning."I was watching the draft and the Bills called me and asked me if I was ready to go," Bowen said. "I told them yes. Two minutes later, my name was on television."Bowen, who finished his Iowa State career with 287 career tackles and was a two-time all-Big 12 selection, has never been to Buffalo.* He will head there next week from his East Orange, N.J., home.Bowen will have Cyclone company with the Bills. His Iowa State linebacking mate Jon Banks will be joining Buffalo in camp as a free agent. Banks, an East Moline, Ill. native, was second on the ISU defense to Bowen (99) in tackles, with 80 stops. Cyclone nose guard Athyba Rubin was selected in the sixth round of the draft by the Cleveland Browns. Rubin made 42 tackles last season, four for loss. He too, will have a fellow Iowa Stater in camp.* Former Iowa State tight end Ben Barkema, who finished his collegiate career with 52 receptions for 566 yards and four touchdowns, has signed as a free agent with Cleveland.Iowa State quarterback Bret Meyer, the leading passer in school history with 9,499 yards is headed as a free agent to the Washington Redskins.* Wide receiver Todd Blythe, who made 176 catches for 3,096 yards and 31 touchdowns, all school records, is a free agent signee with the New Orleans Saints.

More...