Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Worst Football Season in ISU History?

I know weíve won more games this year than other seasons Ė notably those horrific years in the 90ís. However, hear me outÖ

This year gave Cyclone fans the most hope ever and by far the most hype. Returning an entire offense that excited fans last year, despite the inexperienced defense, had fans and experts thinking ISU could do great things. Even with the tough schedule.

Having one of the best quarterbacks and wide receivers in the Big 12 was supposed to take ISU to new heights. Maybe not defeat the big boys from the South, but at least compete with them.

Here we are with just 3 games left and fans already want this season to end. Please, no more embarrassment. No more talk of why Blythe isnít getting the ball more. No more discussions of why Hicks canít stay on the field. End the madness of discussing why our young defense canít create plays for us. And for the love of God, put the debacle of what is called our offensive line to bed.

Oh, and second half scoring? What is that?

Sure, 2003 was awful but fans didnít have big expectations that year. In the 90ís, fans expected ISU to get whipped up and down the field.

In 2006, no one on the planet expected our only wins so far to come over Toledo, UNLV and UNI Ė by a combined 9 points. It literally can drive a fan crazy thinking about how poorly the Cyclones have played this year.

The 2006 season was a chance for opportunity Ė ISU wasted that potential like no other Iíve seen.

Then again, we all know potential is just a short way of saying you havenít done anything yet.

And this year, they only thing our Cyclones have done is stink up the field. For that, I tab this season the worst yet - regardless of how they finish up.

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 189
    Given: 74

Re: Worst Football Season in ISU History?

The first time I read that, I thought it was a little harsh.

However after giving it some thought, you may be onto something.

While I don't think it's the WORST season in Iowa State history because frankly, winning 3 games in one season is more than we won in 3 or 4 seasons in the early 90s. But I would call it the most DISAPPOINTING season in ISU history.

I sense a trend in the last 5 seasons (since the 2000 season)...how many seasons didn't end in disappointment?

Think about that.
    2001...a decent season ends in huge disappointment in the Independence Bowl against a big name team, Alabama.
    2002...we get to a #9 ranking and tank.
    2003...need I say more??
    2004...Missouri game, at home, for the north, we miss a 24 yard field goal and then have 1st and goal on the 3 and throw a pick to lose in OT.
    2005...see 2004 but replace Missouri with KU.
    2006...nothing to say.

Need I say more?

Swarm & Punish
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 211
    Given: 465

when we weren't expected to win (most of the 70's, 80's and 90's), 3-9 seasons were okay with me. It was an excuse to see great teams play against ISU. Now Dan has created hope, results and players. This season is the most hard to accept out of the all the seasons (since 1973) that I have been an ISU fan. Worst season?: Yes if you are a fan, No if you are a coach (wins baby). But if anyone (coach, fan, player or whatever), says this isn't the most disappointing season in ISU history, then they are not being honest.

- keep.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

2003 sucked a lot because it came on the heels of the collapse in 2002. It felt like the team had turned a corner at one point the year before and turned into a death spiral as the team was blown out in just about every game it didn't win. This year is different because...well, you might be right.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 116

I would say that 2006 is the most disappointing season since, oh maybe 1981!

That team had like eight home games and just tanked late in the season.

With all the seniors on this team it should have been able to win at least six games this year!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 116

Quote Originally Posted by keepngoal View Post
    when we weren't expected to win (most of the 70's, 80's and 90's), 3-9 seasons were okay with me. It was an excuse to see great teams play against ISU. Now Dan has created hope, results and players. This season is the most hard to accept out of the all the seasons (since 1973) that I have been an ISU fan. Worst season?: Yes if you are a fan, No if you are a coach (wins baby). But if anyone (coach, fan, player or whatever), says this isn't the most disappointing season in ISU history, then they are not being honest.

- keep.
    The decade of the seventies went something like this:Two bowl games by John Majors and Two Bowl games by Earle Bruce. Plus Earle went 24-9 in his last three regular season games. Heck I think the seventies were pretty darn good if I do say so myself.

Come on Clones Beat The Jayhawks Cause I dont want to lose to KU!!