Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 239
    Given: 410

Sound Off Sunday

Just got done listening to channel 13's "Sound Off." I generally am a big fan of the show. However, tonite's version left a sour taste in my mouth. If Fales's incessant gloating over the Cardinals wasn't sickening enough (I'm a HUGE Brewers fan BTW), Murph & Andy had the gall to propagate the Keeler doctine. After listening to their discussion of the FB program, it was again obvious that ISU fans shouldn't expect much more success than lower-tier bowl games because of our budget, competing with EIU for recruits in such a small state, etc, etc, etc (vomit, vomit, vomit). How much more of this can we take?!!! If those poor attempts at logic were used in Manhattan, KS during the months preceding the Bill Snyder hire, KSU would have opted, instead, to join the Pioneer League (in FB) - okay, I exaggerate a little. An attitude of accepting mediocrity would have caused the forces in Iowa City to say "We don't have the $, the tradition, the stadium, etc, etc to compete with the likes of Ohio State and Michigan - so why try." Instead, they have made sound FB coaching choices, and it has PAID dividends. I personally like Dan McCarney - I think there is a place for an individual like him on a FB team - but NOT as the CHIEF decision-maker! I'm sick of Murph, Fales and the rest of the media telling me, as a fan, how grateful I should be for our FB program. Prior to this year's MLB playoffs, I never once heard Mr. Fales define success for his beloved Cardinals in the following way: "Being a consistent runner-up to the Cubs or Astros, etc, as long as they fielded an above-.500 team." AND I never heard him make excuses such as, "Well, you know you can't expect too much success with the Cards. After all, they don't have near the money that the Yankees do." A true fan doesn't make excuses and doesn't accept mediocrity. I appreciate the players, I appreciate the effort and hard work. I will support them and be there this Saturday! BUT I will not accept mediocrity, nor will I accept being told to be grateful for it!!

Utah Utes, Illinois Illini. The University of Pennsylvania thought about following this pattern by calling themselves the Pennsylvania Pencils. However, they were afraid their students would start chanting "We're No. 2"

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Sound Off Sunday

Why should we be greatful for 7-5 seasons intertwined with 2-10 seasons? Why can't we expect more? These people forget that Iowa wasn't always that great, and they still aren't as good as Michigan or Ohio State. Why can't Iowa State expand its athletic budget? It will only take one good coach and some time just like Fry at Iowa.

BTW, Keeler is a pile and a huge Hawkeye. I would prefer neither he nor Nancy ever wrote about our beloved school or athletic program.

Last edited by hansen55; 10-30-2006 at 09:43 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

Thankfully the AD at ISU doesn't share that opinion. Get the right coach at ISU and the revenues will follow. Before ISU hired JO our basketball program was pretty pathetic, but it now has a great home crowd advantage and tremendous support.

Get the right coach at ISU and the same thing can happen in football. The support and money are available, but ISU needs to create enough excitement to generate that revenue.

Rookie
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 460
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 7

Re: Cotton Quote

We have the greatest bunch of guys maybe I've ever been around," said Cotton, whose previous coaching stops include Nebraska and New Mexico State. "I just hope something good happens to them before the year is over." ...............the good thing would be for Cotton to resign

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Cotton Quote

Quote Originally Posted by GM4ISU View Post
    We have the greatest bunch of guys maybe I've ever been around," said Cotton, whose previous coaching stops include Nebraska and New Mexico State. "I just hope something good happens to them before the year is over." ...............the good thing would be for Cotton to resign
    What gets me about that quote is that if they're the greatest group he's been around, doesn't it now fall on him that they aren't performing as great as any other group? He just blamed himself.

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 773
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

It's almost as though this coaching staff feels sorry for itself. Did anyone see the feature on Charlie Weiss on 60 Minutes last night? This guy won't take **** from anyone, and he won't stop pushing until he wins championships. Mac has fire, but he needs to redirect it. Weiss is not always positive and motivating. He gets on his guys; not sure Mac does anything but cheerlead!

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Thumbs down Re: Sound Off Sunday

I too was disapointed with the attitude discussed by the Sound Off gang. They made it sound as if ISU should be so lucky to have Mac and that we deserve no better and will get no better. They basically tell us to shut up and that JP will handle it then go on to say assistant coaching changes absolutely will be and need to be made, no question as if Mac has no responsibility in the matter.

That and there were 2 minute commercials every 5 minutes it seemed. VERY WEAK SHOW indeed.

Starter
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 19

I watched SoundOff last night. You're overreacting quite a bit about Keith and Andy. There were numerous times where they said that ISU fans have a reason to be upset and that changes need to be made.

The only thing that bothered me was the caller that thought the right thing to do was to keep McCarney one more year, regardless of what happens in our final three games. When asked their reasoning, the reply was....

"Because he's a nice guy."

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 796
    Given: 526

Nice guys finish last and creeps rise to the top. Dan is a great $1.1M cheerleader. We need more of a taskmaster and recruiter at this point. This happens all the time.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I normally love watching Sound Off, and some of the stuff was pretty funny last night (the John Basedow stuff was great). But I agree with you guys, they just made the same old excuses that we hear for why we should appreciate Mac and not even question him, because he's brought us so far and all that. It's like they didn't even want to look at the other side of the equation.

And they also let that guy ramble on for 5min about how the basketball team is rebuilding so we can't rebuild the football team. That doesn't make any sense at all.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 314
    Given: 197

The media companies need to make money to stay in business. Right now in Iowa, they think that they can make the most money by furthering the cause of Iowa Hawkeye FB. The only way that's ever going to change is if ISU FB starts winning consistently and increases its fan base. And even if ISU does start winning, changing the Hawkeye media bias is going to be an uphill struggle.

I would suspect that the media as a whole in the state of Iowa doesn't want ISU to succeed. They have invested in resources to cover the Hawkeyes. That's what they are set up to do. If ISU suddenly starts winning and the Cyclone fan base starts to increase, those media companies will have to invest additional resources to better cover ISU, and that will cut into profits (or so they think). The media companies like the status quo, which right now in FB is for the Hawks to do well and for ISU to be average/mediocre. You can bet the media will do everything to preserve the status quo, including trying to convince the ISU faithful that they can't do better than what they have now (i.e. DM), so there is no use to try.

Don't listen to them. Keep up the fight and support ADJP in his quest to make ISU better!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 483

Quote Originally Posted by Bryceman View Post
    Nice guys finish last and creeps rise to the top. Dan is a great $1.1M cheerleader. We need more of a taskmaster and recruiter at this point. This happens all the time.
    Right on Bryce I could NOT agree more. Its time for some accountability from this coaching staff and its time for AD Pollard to turn this FB program around and head it in the right (winning) direction!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

id rather rebuild the football and basketball teams at the same time and end up with a quality product in both come 2-3 years down the road.