Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 357
    Given: 45

Plastic water bottles toxic?

Health Buzz: A Nalgene Lawsuit and Other Health News - US News and World Report

www.kansascity.com | 04/22/2008 | BPA alternatives: Consumers look for safer choices

Parents, stores and even an entire country are ditching polycarbonate baby bottles and sippy cups. That’s because the hard plastic that most baby bottles are made from contains the chemical bisphenol-A, which some researchers believe poses serious health risks.
    On Friday, Canada banned BPA, as the chemical is commonly known, from baby bottles and drinking cups, based on a review of worldwide studies. Wal-Mart and other retailers in Canada have removed children’s products containing BPA from shelves.
    Also last week, Wal-Mart announced plans to stop selling children’s products containing BPA by next year in U.S. stores.
    “Good,” said Aubrey Tsevis, a Blue Springs kindergarten teacher and mother of 22-month-old Hudson Tsevis and 3-week-old Henry Tsevis. “This is about health and our babies’ bodies. It’s better to be safe than sorry.”
    BPA also is found in some pacifiers and teethers.
    Like a growing number of parents concerned about BPA in polycarbonate plastic, Tsevis buys glass baby bottles and stainless steel sippy cups for her children. When her eldest son was born, she couldn’t find glass bottles in stores and had to order them online. Today, responding to consumer demand, national retailers are bringing back glass baby bottles after a generations-long absence. National and local stores have trouble keeping glass bottles in stock.
    “I’m having a hard time finding them,” said Stephanie McGuirk of Prairie Village, an acupuncturist and mother of 10-month-old son Campbell Higgins. She prefers buying glass bottles from a store instead of online so she can handle the products before making up her mind. “I know there are plastic ones out there that don’t contain BPA, but I’d just rather use glass.”
    On a mission
    Alicia Voorhies of Olathe remembers feeling shocked two years ago when her sister in South Carolina called to say her son’s pediatrician told her she needed to switch baby bottles. That was the first time Voorhies heard the term BPA. The former nurse and mother of three young children began researching plastics online. The more studies she read, the more concerned she grew about BPA and phthalates, another controversial chemical compound used in plastics.
    Studies on laboratory animals show a possible link between even small amounts of BPA and breast and prostate cancer, diabetes, hyperactivity and other serious disorders. Frederick vom Saal, a professor at University of Missouri-Columbia and one of the key researchers of BPA, says the chemical can cause reproductive problems.
    Voorhies routinely calls manufacturers, asking them what ingredients went into making their baby bottles, sippy cups, dishes and eating utensils.
    “I keep pushing when a company sends me a letter stating the safety of BPA, according to the FDA (Food and Drug Administration),” she said. “I tell them that’s not what I asked for. I asked what the products have in them.”
    Voorhies started a blog ( www.thesoftlandingbaby.com) and posted her findings and news stories about BPA. Last year, with family members, she started selling glass baby bottles and non-BPA plastic ones online. She also writes guides on finding BPA-free products at other stores.
    She and her sisters, kids in tow, take frequent field trips to Wal-Mart, Target, Babies R Us and Whole Foods to see what types of bottles, cups and dishes they are selling.
    “There are still so many people who don’t know about BPA,” Voorhies said. “My whole goal is to provide information so people can make safe choices.”

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 726
    Given: 550

Re: Plastic water bottles toxic?

Why do they never research this stuff before the chemicals are used in products?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 357
    Given: 45

Research costs too much $$$, it is easier to toss it out there and wait for a lawsuit if any.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 915
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 0

I was also told by an employee of Waste Mgt that reusing disposable water bottles is a no no. He said they absorb the bacteria and are not made to be reused. If if washed, they are not safe. That surprised me, we used to do that, no more.