Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 231
    Given: 333

Networking help

I have a co-worker that uses Verizon wireless broadband at home. This is the type of broadband that just plugs into your USB and then you have some software on your PC that makes the connections.

She wants to use VPN on her corporate laptop but IT won't allow her to use the verizon software. Is there a way to "piggyback" her internet connection from her own laptop to the corporate laptop?

Walk On
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Networking help

Pay off the IT people :)

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 33

She would need to log in with her main computer to verizon and then connection share that connection with her laptop. The problem is the VPN tunnel wants to piggyback on an existing connection. Is the VPN a split tunnel VPN? I assume so.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

Probably not, especially if this company locks down their image as much as mine does which would require you to be an administrator to install or configure such a thing. Company issued stuff is locked down for a reason, best not to go outside company IT policies.

I see people trying to do this stuff sometimes at work. My best advice is that don't try to tinker with a company issued laptop because likely you'll wind up messing something up. The people that do have admin rights on ours are sometimes the ones that wind up installing stuff like this and it sometimes results in screwing up some other application or functionality and possibly has to be reimaged just to clean up the mess they created. Being in IT support that is the 1 thing that frustrates me the most are people that try to do things with their company issued equipment that we have policies against and usually there is a good reason behind most of them.

Go Cubs Go!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 92

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    I have a co-worker that uses Verizon wireless broadband at home. This is the type of broadband that just plugs into your USB and then you have some software on your PC that makes the connections.

She wants to use VPN on her corporate laptop but IT won't allow her to use the verizon software. Is there a way to "piggyback" her internet connection from her own laptop to the corporate laptop?
    Not sure what OS's you are running, or what kind of hardware you have, or how the corporate laptop is configured, but...

In Windows 2k/XP Pro, you might be able to use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) (I don't use Vista so I don't know if the feature is still there). The issue is that she'll need two network adapters in her home laptop (Verizon plus one more), and a hub/switch. If her home and corporate laptops have built-in Ethernet ports, she's all set.

On the home computer, set up connection sharing to share the Verizion connection to the built-in Ethernet port. Plug the built-in Ethernet ports of both computers into the hub. ICS (on the home laptop) has a basic DHCP server that will give the corporate laptop a 192.168.0.xxx local IP address and all the settings needed to access the Internet.

At my house, I share my cable modem connection to my internal network this way, so I don't have to pay Time Warner for extra IP addresses. We use SonicWall VPN at work, and it works fine from the internal network.

If you don't have a hub, you could use a cross-over cable to connect the built-in Ethenet ports on the two laptops. If the laptops don't have built-in Ethernet ports, you could get some cheap USB Ethernet adapters.

Finally, there is also the issue of how corporate has configured the laptop. If they have hardwired IP settings for the built-in Ethernet port, you might have to add a USB Ethernet adapter anyway. If your coworker doesn't have local admin privilege on the corporate laptop, you may not be able to do this.

Hopefully this doesn't sound too complicated...it really isn't...

Last edited by jbhtexas; 04-24-2008 at 12:46 PM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Addict
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,165
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

My guess is that the "verizon software" isnt' really necessary, so long as the drivers for the modem can be installed.

I know there is some crap Sprint stuff that comes with my PAM plan that isn't necessary at all. See if it can be recognized as just a regular modem or serial port, and then have it dial #777 for the phone number as a regular dialup connection with (phone#)@vzw.com as the username and an empty password.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com